Runner Runner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Runner Runner Reviews

½ September 18, 2016
Poor pacing and thin plot. The movie seems to gloss over details and barrel through with the thinnest of plot points, like it's checking off a mandatory box so that it can get to the next point.
½ August 30, 2016
Fairly solid but predictable subject matter and plot
½ August 27, 2016
Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake star in this better than expected crime thriller. Justin Timberlake plays an expert online gambler who is cheated by somebody online and decides to investigate further which leads him to Ben Affleck's character.
August 27, 2016
I have watch this and enjoyed it multiple times!
½ August 12, 2016
Awful, waste of talent.
July 1, 2016
Ben Affleck makes for a good a**hole, can't pass up seeing Justin Timberlake in another movie...not too bad
½ June 19, 2016
The actors should give their wages back.Except Gemma who is great.This movie was as pointless as it was pretentious.Actors use their star power to get paid but if they in movies like these then their star power turns to "beware this movie".At no part was it enjoyable or able to hold interest.
April 2, 2016
MOVIE WAS EASY TO SEE WHAT WAS COMING AND ACTING POOR AT BEST
March 25, 2016
Ben Affleck makes a good psychopath. The film takes the view point of a new hire, not too smart, so we get the superficiality of it. It goes well, then less so, then more criminaly. The film has its values, but it appears all rather fake.
March 24, 2016
Boring. And really? It was thaat easy to find the location of the criminal that just ripped you off? AND, although mastermind BenFk knows how to steal loads of money from regular people, he apparently doesn't know how to hide from the swindled saps? Or hire better security? Turns out it's part of his interview process before the official job offer. JT, he robbed you and now he's your boss and you're kinda working to get your own money back. This movie reminds me of a male Pretty Woman-type fairy tale--but without the literal hooker stuff. Just how people can be bought and become so mesmerized by the money and rich lifestyle that they figuritively sell themselves.
March 20, 2016
Well ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is an alright movie 2 watch, its nothing special 2 watch but it is an alright movie 2 watch........its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie, I think that gemma arterton, ben Affleck, Justin timberlake, Anthony Mackie, oliver cooper, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that ben Affleck was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie as the bad guy throughout this movie.......

It was released in Belgium, France and the Philippines on September 25, 2013, and in several other countries on the following days. It was released in the United States on October 4, 2013. Some parts of this narrative are based on the life of Nat Arem, a professional poker player and former accountant at Deloitte Touche who helped uncover cheating in online poker by using statistical methods to analyze thousands of games. The film received generally negative reviews from critics.

the whole cast is::

Jordan Beder as Paul Arnaud
Bob Gunton as Dean Alex Monroe
Ben Schwartz as Craig
Dayo Okeniyi as Lionel

I think that this is an alright movie 2 watch, it is nothing special 2 watch.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......it is nothing special 2 watch but it is an alright movie 2 watch.......
February 7, 2016
The plot is indeed predictable and not one bit remarkable for that matter, but still this is a somewhat decent (and well-edited) thriller that benefits a lot from some good performances, which hold us in our seats as we see the story unveil like a fine poker game.
½ January 17, 2016
For the most part I thought this was pretty good, but I just wish there had been more action in it.
January 9, 2016
What a dump. Boring as all hell, none of the characters have any charisma and are just bland as an unseasoned potato chip. Gemma Arterton is a babe, that's about the only positve I found with Runner Runner. Dog shit
December 10, 2015
Money. Exotic locales. Money. Sex. Money. What's not to like? Not only are those things part of the appeal of "Runner Runner" (R, 1:31), but they're also what tempt the lead character into a situation that eventually threatens to deprive him of everything he's working for.

Justin Timberlake plays Richie Furst, a brilliant student in a master's mathematics program at Princeton. When his attempts to fund his education through online poker backfire, he gets desperate. Now, Richie isn't just your average gambler. He knows poker, and gambling runs in his family, as we understand when we meet Richie's father (John Heard). Richie uses his knowledge of gambling, mathematics and computers to gather proof that he was cheated. He flies to Costa Rica to confront the man behind the poker website in question - Ivan Block (Ben Affleck), an American entrepreneur who may or may not be a legitimate businessman.

Their encounter leads Ivan to hire Richie to help him run his website. Richie's good at it and it's a shortcut to everything he hoped his Ivy League education would bring him. Meanwhile, a relationship develops between Richie and Ivan's former lover, Rebecca (Gemma Arterton). Things are going swimmingly for Richie until Anthony Mackie's FBI Agent Shavers steps in and tries to threaten Richie into turning against his employer. Will he or won't he? Which of these characters are the criminals and which are just doing their jobs? The answers eventually reveal each character's true allegiances, just as Richie seems hopelessly boxed in on all sides.

This is an above-average thriller that keeps you guessing. Justin Timberlake has legitimate acting chops and it was fun to see Ben Affleck take on such a morally ambiguous character, and nice to see that he didn't overplay his hand. This movie is part "Ocean's 11" and part "The Firm", but still manages to feel original. The twists and turns are many, but allow the audience to keep up and enjoy getting the answers to those questions I mentioned earlier. "Runner Runner" isn't what I would call brilliant, but it's reasonably well-constructed and pretty entertaining. "B"
November 7, 2015
Recycled plot, it has your typical "Male Hero" and you typical "Damsel in Distress", there was no suspense and I did not give a damn whether the hero was going to die or not. It was fun at times, but it was not most of the times. Ben Affleck remains inconsistent with this performances and choice of roles.
October 7, 2015
Don't know why everyone hates this movie, it is very imformative. Everyone pretty much hates Ben Affleck now as an actor (except for Fargo) so he makes a PERFECT villian. Justin Timberlake is the perfect foil, likeable and easy to root for. You can see this happening. I mean IT LITTERALLY DID HAPPEN. Now watch all this Draft Kings and Fan Duel website that are ways to gamble using fantasy football. And now THEY are getting caught for exactly what Ben Affleck gets caught doing in this very movie. Making money on his own website by adjusting the odds and using insider information. How can you not like this movie?
½ July 7, 2015
Did not see any smart plot at all.
½ May 28, 2015
Acting is pretty bad and the plot isn't as clever as I would have wanted. I didn't have high expectations and I wasn't surprised by what I got.
½ May 23, 2015
Actually not that bad. Certainly not as bad as stupid Rotten Tomatoes would have you believe. Sure it doesn't have the best performances, and a bit is cliche, but it's an interesting story, and features a world not yet explored on film.