Scary Movie 5 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scary Movie 5 Reviews

September 14, 2017
My Favorite Teacher Of All Time Ms. Sindelar Did Like This Movie When She Watched It On DVD Once And It Did Make Her Laugh.
August 19, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, we just saw Scary Movie 5. I m still trying to process all the gags, carnage, and mayhem.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, this is the fifth in the series and the first not to follow the escapades of recurring characters Cindy Campbell and Brenda Meeks. It was penned by Pat Profit and Airplane! veteran David Zucker. It s a parody of several films including Mama and Black Swan. When you have one of the Zucker brothers involved you can expect an extreme farce. I was mildly disappointed.

SCOTT: The word disappointed doesnt exactly describe my reaction. But we ll get to that later. Let s run down the plot -- as if it really mattered in a movie like this. We start out with a bizarre bedroom scene involving Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan, who play themselves in this movie. Sheen and Lohan are both haunted by an alien presence, who occupies Lohan s body, forcing her to kill Sheen, whose three children then become missing. Later, Snoop Dogg and a friend discover the children in a Cabin in the Woods -- yet another movie spoofed here. The three kids are then raised by Sheen s brother Dan (Simon Rex) and his wife Jodie (Ashley Tisdale).

GREG: The movie then takes off parodying the heck out of Mama with paranormal activity such as the pool being overrun by automatic pool cleaners and pans falling from the kitchen ceiling. Meanwhile, Jodie is trying to get the lead in the local production of the ballet Black Swan. And that pretty much describes the whole film. From there it s just one set up gag after another.

SCOTT: Greg, I really have mixed feelings about a movie like this. On the one hand, I appreciated the cleverness of the gags throughout. If you liked Airplane!, and you like parodies of scary movies, then this movie might be for you. I found myself chuckling here and there throughout most of the film. But I also found myself looking at my watch several times, hoping the movie would end. It basically works in small chunks, the way that a Saturday Night Live skit does. But 90 minutes was hard to sit through.

GREG: I agree with you whole-heartedly. There were bits that were enjoyable, but usually they were the parts where Molly Shannon or Darrell Hammond from SNL provide cameos. And most of those bits were driven into the ground (like how everyone in the movie had a handi-cam and the Point of View was through the lens of either a handi-cam or security camera). And then there was the Cabin in the Woods scene where Jodie kept reading evil words and the Mormon Bible-thumpers upstairs turned into demons - over and over again. You re right, the bits were fun - once. But 90 minutes of repeating bad gags was too much. This could have easily been a hilarious 30-minute short.

SCOTT: And therein lies the challenge of reviewing a movie like this. Like other gag-fests (e.g., Movie 43), it s unfair to compare it to conventional movies that actually attempt to deliver a coherent story with legitimate characters. Let s face it. The gags here are all that count and everything else serves as just an excuse to show the gags. The filmmakers were clearly going for shock value. Sometimes seeing something shocking is funny, and sometimes it s just plain dumb. Do we really need to see a baby s head set on fire? Is it necessary to show Heather Locklear s birthing fluids gush onto someone s face? Or popsicles and toothbrushes shoved up people s butts? Eww.

GREG: I have to disagree with you, somewhat. I think a good parody will stand up against a traditional movie. When I saw the first Airplane! movie I laughed for a week and went back for seconds. When David Zucker is attached to a film, I expect something special. I expect sharp, smart writing. But, as you say, Scary Movie 5 was just an excuse to see blood spew and body parts detach - much like actual horror movies, in fact. I laughed at a few places, but I can only give it 1 Reel out of 5. As for the heroes, they were absent - a mere shadow of the characters that were being parodied. I give Scary Movie 5 an unprecedented zero Heroes. Movie: Hero: Zero.

SCOTT: A good parody is hard to find these days. For me, the quintessential parody was 1999 s Galaxy Quest, a spoof of Star Trek that is every bit as good, if not better, than every Star Trek movie made. Scary Movie 5 was no Galaxy Quest, and in fact it wasn t even close. Scary Movie s gags were fast and furious, and the cameo appearances of brand-name actors were somewhat amusing. But there wasn t any meat on this bone. And I found myself gagging at the gags. Generously, I give this film 1 Reel out of 5. There were heroes (Dan and Jodie) but they were ridiculous heroes, and intentionally so. Ridiculous heroes get just 1 Hero out of 5. Movie: Hero:
July 26, 2017
I thought it was funny, but it's not.
½ July 9, 2017
I've always preferred the 3rd and 4th entries to the franchise over the first two, and given that this film was more akin to those, I was hoping this film would be better than it was. I must say, though, it does have a few good laughs. Frankly, most of the best jokes are the smaller, more underplayed gags, such as Charlie Sheen calling his cat Emilio, or a scene in which Simon Rex's character just keeps getting increasingly more awkward when talking to his black boss about how the apes are just like us. It clearly suffers from the numerous rewrites it went through in order to keep it as up-to-date as possible. I would've loved to see it in its original conception as being more centered around 'Black Swan' and 'Paranormal Activity'. After seeing 'Mama', I thought of many other ways in which it could have been spoofed that, in my opinion, would have been funnier and made more sense. This whole movie just seems thrown together at the last minute, despite being worked on and rewritten for years. Overall, it has some very funny moments, but as a whole, it just doesn't work very well.
½ June 7, 2017
And the franchise sinks to impossible new lows. There are a few entertaining moments and cameos but overall it's an unforgivably immature and horrifically misguided disaster.
½ May 5, 2017
Lacking the uproarious laughter, boundary-pushing satire and suspenseful storytelling that made the first four installments a solid blend of horror and comedy, this fourth -- and largely unfunny -- sequel is one misfire that'll leave fans pining for the onscreen presences of Anna Faris and Regina Hall.
½ April 12, 2017
I selected the "want to see" option before it came out. I saw it. I hated it.
April 2, 2017
First two was better
½ February 22, 2017
Ran across this as it was starting on cable, and I have to grudgingly admit, I laughed more than I expected to, especially since it's not the best franchise for comedy anyway, as they become dated the moment they stop filming.

Oh well, it was an okay way to waste some time during an afternoon.
January 27, 2017
Awful. The only one worth bothering with is the first. Even the second cant save the day with alot of the same cast and they get worst and worst from the second
January 26, 2017
Una nueva secuela de la tradicional Scary Movie que esta vez se presenta como una parodia de Actividad Paranormal, Mamá, Sinister, The Evil Dead, Inception y hasta el Cisne Negro
January 14, 2017
This One was really bad I don't really like it it was pretty much the worst in the trilogy it wasn't really funny it was mostly just weird even though it is a scary movie film it's just not like the first four it was really a stupid movie!
½ December 28, 2016
Its terrible. Just terribly boring.
December 7, 2016
Stupidity-leaking movie.. Enough. Please..
October 7, 2016
Une étoile par nostalgie.
October 1, 2016
Was dreadful, none of the actors from the previous Scary Movies were in this one and this one wasn't even funny. It had Snoop Dogg tho
September 18, 2016
I absolutely love the first three Scary Movie films, the fourth was okay and this was just the same. It was funny to watch but the story and film overall just seemed a little weak compared to the first three which were amazing. And without Anna Faris the film had nothing.
September 17, 2016
By far the worst instalment of the franchise, "Scary Movie 5" is basically worthless of its title. I found myself giggling at some of the stupid gags and moronic humour but this film is a long way from the natural, laugh-out-loud, hilarious comic timing of the better films that preceded it. The writers clearly penned this with their eyes closed and their brains shut down. Everything just screams half-arsed and stays in the shadow of what came before. But I can't say that I had a bad time either.
August 31, 2016
Dumb movie, but in a funny way. But by no means is this a good movie at all.
August 20, 2016