The Shaggy Dog Reviews

• Nov 05, 2020

The most absurd thing about this is that Akon did a song for it. This 2006 remake of 1959's 'The Shaggy Dog' is very bad. That's thanks to some lazy writing and humour, none of the jokes land while the plot - while I praise them for changing up the original - is so lame - their thinking seemingly just stopped at 'man acts like dog' and thought that'll do. Another thing that hampers the film is the attempt at a heartwarming story with the main family, which is nauseating to see unfold. There's also a scene at the end where the dad (Allen) is stark naked in public and in front of his children, who have literally zero reaction and just stand there smiling ... With that noted, I will say I didn't hate watching this. Tim Allen, whilst over-the-top and in your face at times, is a good cast to play this silly role - he stops the character of Dave becoming annoying, he's just cringey to me. The casting is, actually, pretty good. Robert Downey Jr. and Danny Glover are involved, as are recognisable faces Spencer Breslin, Shawn Pyfrom, Philip Baker Hall and Joel David Moore. Rhea Seehorn, star of 'Better Call Saul', also appears - you could make a case that this is a prequel to BCS ... I have no idea why they decided to remake this, especially given they seemingly didn't put any serious effort into it. It's weird, cringe, dull and entirely forgettable. A poor film.

• Sep 11, 2020

It was funny as a kid, but it doesn't hold up to Disney standards, or even film standards, today.

• Aug 11, 2020

While cute and fun at times, it is pretty slow at first and it just all seems so slopped together. It seems like it would be a TV or straight to video movie, but somehow it made it to the big screen. I may be underestimating the budget slightly. It has a nostalgic mid-2000s vibe, but it is nothing remarkable.

• Jul 13, 2020

Its humor is enough to make children entertained, but its derivative and uninspired story don't make it recommendable enough for adults.

• Feb 23, 2019

I don't know what's worst: The nightmarish poster or Downey Jr. acting like a dog.

• Nov 22, 2018

That movie is worse than "An American Werewolf In London".

That movie is worse than "An American Werewolf In London".

• Jul 06, 2018

I remember watching the original Fred MacMurray version of The Shaggy Dog and I always thought it was one of Disney’s lesser live-action classics. So revisiting that concept with Tim Allen in the lead role doesn’t seem like a great idea. This movie’s attempt at comedy always revolves around a man doing things like a dog, and it is never funny. Aside from the transforming into a dog part, the heart of the story is so clichéd that I’m not sure anyone actually wrote it or if they just copy-and-pasted from one of a hundred other Disney movies. “Dad’s too involved with his job, and is neglecting his family...will he ever wake up and see what he’s missing?” I’m sure you can write the rest yourself. The idea that the original dog in this movie is some kind of magical being that can be used to prolong life is already ludicrous, but then they double down by making it so he turns people into weredogs when they are bit. But all kinds of stupid ideas are taken in stride by the characters in this movie. People take the idea of Tim Allen’s character turning into a dog as if it makes perfect sense after the initial shock, and the fact that he continues to struggle with just telling people about it is frustrating. In fact the entire movie is frustration because so many plot lines could be resolved in seconds with a simple conversation but instead they take the most convoluted steps to make the movie feature length. The Shaggy Dog is what you get when lazy people start making movies without intention or purpose. It’s as if they just took a look at Disney’s catalogue of classics, looked for which one they could remake next, and didn’t put even an ounce of thought into a way of making it new or interesting. I cannot express this enough...there is nothing of value in The Shaggy Dog. It is not funny, it is not thought-provoking, it is not well-acted, and it is not entertaining in any way. Children might become dumber after watching this movie, so just avoid it like the plague.

• Jun 26, 2018

Start laughing I remember watching this movie. Tim Allen is hilarious good movie show your kids

• Jun 13, 2018

Really not bad, pretty fun family film.

Really not bad, pretty fun family film.

• Oct 07, 2017

10/7/2017: Meh. A good cast, but very few funny moments.

10/7/2017: Meh. A good cast, but very few funny moments.