Shane Reviews

• Feb 10, 2021

09.02.2021 ---------

09.02.2021 ---------

• Oct 01, 2020

What makes Shane a classic is that it remains grounded and not gaudy while it solves its problems in style.

• Sep 20, 2020

This movie has all the good elements a great western movie should have! With the top talent it has much suspense to go along with those wonderful traditional values all great westerns should have. Also. I love a good gun fight! This has all the elements of the best!

• Sep 16, 2020

In the top three best westerns ever made. Jack Palance is evil personified.

In the top three best westerns ever made. Jack Palance is evil personified.

• Sep 11, 2020

There are a few Shane's that I like. Shane Warne is my fave bowler ever, Shane Moseley was a slick boxer, Shane McGowan was a fantastic rebel but no one quite lives up to Shane, just pure Shane, no surname required just plain Shane. Yeah it's an ok western film. Typical roaming loner who the err slightly old woman swoons at and the guys wish they could be as badass at shooting as. Shane, watch it. It's a Western.

• Sep 09, 2020

One of the most iconic westerns of the 50s (and of all time I guess).

One of the most iconic westerns of the 50s (and of all time I guess).

• Jul 21, 2020

Ok and predictable western.

Ok and predictable western.

• Jun 29, 2020

It's not a masterpiece in my eyes, but it is pretty good. The negatives of this film is that Joey is an annoying little shit. Putting the negatives aside, I like the protagonist and the story is intriguing

• May 07, 2020

Among all the 'classic' Westerns, Shane has to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for me. The best component of the film is its visual prowess, providing great landscape shots that stand out among its contemporaries in the pre-Leone era. However, what others call a stroke of brilliance in adding a naive character who doesn't understand the complexities of character of the protagonist/supporting cast or the darker implications of their actions is in reality a cop-out that reeks of self-importance. It doesn't help that said character (played by deWilde, who somehow managed to earn an Oscar nom at ten for this role) has one of the most annoying voices in all of cinema, which Stevens decided to plaster over the entire film like a series of lawn flamingoes in a country field. (2.5/5)

• Apr 29, 2020

AFI 100 Greatest Films - #69: One of the better "older" Westerns I have seen, as this isn't a genre I usually enjoy due to the simple and formulaic plots that I seem to come across too often. Shane, while still dealing in some definite cliches, offered a much more multifaceted narrative and was absolutely beautiful on the eyes as well. Bonus points for Joey Jr's reaction shots.