Signs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Signs Reviews

April 24, 2017
Signs boasts a quietly amazing performance from Mel Gibson and offers fantastically structured suspense thanks to Shyamalan's skill in putting his clever writing to the screen.
April 24, 2017
I like this movie, but its not for the reasons why other people do. I personally don't find this movie good but I was still entertained by it.
April 23, 2017
Amazing movie one of my favorities
½ April 22, 2017
Con un uso intelligente di dialoghi e macchina da presa, Shyamalan ci regala uno dei migliori film della sua filmografia, ricco di tensione e scene veramente inquietanti. Durante la prima parte del film si costruisce una trama estremamente interessante e coinvolgente, che fin da subito riesce a trascinare lo spettatore dentro lo schermo. Queste premesse per me sono durate fino a poco prima della fine, quando le cose vengono risolte in maniera troppo frettolosa, con scelte piuttosto convenienti ai fini di una narrazione più semplice da gestire. Nonostante questo, resta un buon film di fantascienza che mi conferma il talento di un regista molto altalenante.
April 9, 2017
Einfach fürchterlich
½ April 9, 2017
Brilliant. Classic.
Suspense, but no violence or gore.
This is a thrilling treat of a movie.

A wink to the monster flicks of the 50s and yet so much better.
Finely tuned script, solid cinematography, and perfectly paced tension - this kept M. Night Shyamalan on the map after The Sixth Sense, tho honestly his acting here slowed the movie down for such a pivotal character, but that's a small thing compared to this finely tuned mystery.

Thrilling, hilarious incidental humor, great acting, some heartfelt goodness about family support when you aren't sure who you can trust, and a nod to those who have lost their faith and their hope, that maybe its time to dig deeper and rethink it again.

I loved this movie, and bought it soon after seeing it.

4.5 tin hats out of 5
(just go see the movie - worthy.)
April 3, 2017
Mel Gibson - need I say more? He was excellent again. Could have done without the aliens.
March 28, 2017
Signs, is one of M. Night Shyamalan best films I've ever seen! With the suspense and creepy music, this film is definitely worth seeing!
March 20, 2017
Shyamalan makes boring films. This is a prime example.
½ March 5, 2017
Mildly thrilling, but a little farfetched
½ February 28, 2017
Signs is directed and written by M. Night Shyamalan, and it stars Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Rory Culkin, and Abigail Breslin in a science fiction thriller about a family that sees a bunch of crop circles in their cornfield, and that there's a creature of some kind the lurks around their house, making them slowly realize that they are not alone. In terms of the filmography that M. Night Shyamalan has directed and written that received positive reviews, Signs is the last film from him that I'm going to review until his next film comes out and happens to have good reviews again. In terms of the films that he's involved with, I'm not done with him just yet as I have yet to review Wide Awake, Stuart Little, which he only got credited as a co-writer, and ..... The Last Airbender. So with this, let's get started. This actually took me a few tries to actually watch and finish it throughout, and it wasn't because it was bad or boring, although it is slow, I was always tired when I watch it and always end up falling asleep by the end of it. Now I finally got to watch the remaining parts that I slept on, and the overall film that I think, is a really good one, even though it can be inconsistent at times. I really like about how we don't know about whether the crop circles are representing supernatural presence, or if it's all fake, and even if it's all real, we wouldn't know about if they were going to attack, study us, or just help out, which in a sense, kind of reminds me of Arrival or Close Encounters of the Third Kind where you don't know about what they want. The characters are good enough that you know about what they are suppose to be in terms of their characteristics. I also like that they have absolutely no idea about what they need to do in terms of defending themselves as they don't know about what's going to happen next, and they just go by the small clues that they use for themselves, even if not all of them works. The story is well done as we have not got a plot like this that is different in terms of the science fiction genre. The writing by M. Night Shyamalan is solid, but there were times that the writing can be a bit weird that is kind of funny, but I'm not sure of whether it's intentional or not. The acting can be good at times, but it can get awkward, which I think is just from the direction that the director wanted to go for. The cinematography by Tak Fujimoto has some impressive shots, but then there are lingering shots that looked wonky and just doesn't seem to look right. The score by James Newton Howard is really creepy, with that sweet theme song to listen to. It's really suspenseful to watch, especially in the cornfield scene in the middle of the night, even though the scares don't pay off in the end. The twist that M. Night Shyamalan has put in, wasn't really effective as it didn't make any sense, and was way too much of a coincidence. Signs is a really great build-up to an execution that gave me mixed feelings, but I still managed to really like the film as a whole, while seeing a bit of the director's downfall that lasted for years.
½ February 18, 2017
Signs is a highly religious sci-fi tale founded on solid lead performances. The fate driven narrative doesn't always work as everything is played off that way instead of any coincidence factoring into the events.
February 16, 2017
Though many understandably find it difficult to look past the cloying sentimentality and logistical problems that emerge towards the end of the film, it's hard to deny the talent behind the camera. Signs is shot and edited with a clear understanding of how to develop mood, containing 4 shots in particular that wormed their way into my brain and have a tendency re-emerge when I'm on edge late at night. For me its power is only partially undone by the eye-roll inducing last 5 minutes.
February 10, 2017
Shyamalan proves he has a knack for building suspense and Mel Gibson relays the look of paranoia for the full 108 minutes of screen time. Interesting movie that moves quickly but is well worth your time
½ February 9, 2017
7 outta 10. some moments were freakishly intense where I got goosebumps. and don't be mistaken, it's not a ghost horror movie
½ February 7, 2017
Alright I suppose. Don't get it. Everyone says this film is good but I don't see it. Not a lot happens
½ February 7, 2017
M. Night Shyamalan's superb writing and direction craft an appropriately fearful atmosphere, James Newton Howard's score is incredible, and Mel Gibson's performance is excellent.
½ February 1, 2017
Signs is defintley One of shamlyans best works.With a chilling story,some great acting,And effects although dated still look cool.
½ January 27, 2017
"Signs" is another fantastic entry for Shyamalan. This uniquely emotional journey scares the pants off of us as usual, while captivating us with the message that everything happens for a reason.
½ January 21, 2017
With Signs, M. Night Shyamalan proves himself once again that he is a master of building good suspense all through out the film. The thing about Signs that I noticed that are different than other alien invasion movies, is that Signs isn't just an alien invasion film. There are some hidden meanings, in which I probably did not fully get into my head. Signs mostly shows the perspective of one family struggling from family situations but also from the alien invasion that is about to occur. It has some amazing dialogue between each of the characters which kept my attention from a dialogue heavy film. As I said, it has a good suspense throughout the movie. It has a certain vibe that floats in the atmosphere that keeps our hands griping and sweaty. Like all M. Night's movies, it certainly has a twist which was highly effective to me. Although the suspense makes the film a thriller, there is a lot of dramatic scenes and conversations interacting with each characters and their family. That is a huge 'plus' to the movie. I felt that the film's hidden message was 'faith' between one another and believes. From the dramatic scenes, I really cared for all the characters to survive the alien invasion which led to a incredible suspenseful and very heart-felt finale. Overall, Signs is one of the best alien invasion I have ever scene and is a movie without almost no flaws.