Signs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Signs Reviews

August 12, 2017
M Night proves himself once again as a director. With a more of focus on thrills and character development.
August 6, 2017
I'm surprised I haven't got round to this film sooner.
I like M. Night Shyamalan's work but I've not seen a great deal and this was an early one, when he was still in his flow. It also has some of my favourite ingredients - Aliens, Mystery and I love a good Mel Gibson film. I had heard mixed reviews, and audiences are definitely spit. I must say that I am definitely one for the positive on this one.
Firstly there are some excellent performances from Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix as the brothers protecting their household. A competent performance from Rory Culkin showing early promise for future roles.
The story plays with ideas of faith and belief in both obvious and subtle ways giving this film many layers from which to extract meaning ...and of course entertainment. Signs manages to be a good popcorn munching suspense/sci-fi and while simultaneously musing over the power of faith and indeed a belief in the signs (sorry) that life/fate provides. Whether you believe in this is from a higher power or pure coincidence is what may have split the viewers on this one.
I feel the film work better in its moments of mystery and suspense, with creeping shadows and ominous noises, than it does in its final show down with Alien invaders. The former is definitely Shyamalan's comfort zone, though he does do well with adapting his style to a variety of genres.
A nice cameo from the man himself too, showing that he can actually act as well as direct.
Overall I found this an engaging an thought provoking movie and it has spurned me to seek out more of what he has to offer.
½ August 1, 2017
The best movie in Shyamalan's filmography. Just fails in the ending, but the rest is "wow" scenes-like.
½ July 29, 2017
This movie is probably one of the best alien movies! It delivers a great story. M Knight Shymalan does it again with fanominal wrighting. The acting is great especially with a great act by Mel Gibson. It was so good I saw it two days in a row. The only reason reason that it is not five stars. Is the animation of the aliens, it is sloppy with no interesting features, but in general it is a great movie to watch.
½ July 22, 2017
while it had is scary moments, there was too much depressed acting, and the effects make it feel I'm watching a B-movie.
½ July 8, 2017
'Signs' is a film which, unfortunately, is highly underappreciated and misunderstood by critics and audience members alike. I've only seen the film once, and I can say that Signs is one of the most suspenseful, well written, and well acted movies ever made. Signs kept me hooked from its opening credits to its ending credits, with brilliant acting and an amazing score by James Newton Howard. The music in Signs works so well in the film. There are more subtle, soft sections with a very tense aura, to louder more chaotic sections for the intense finale. I have a couple nitpicks with Signs, but overall, I loved it. This is one of the best directed, smartest movies of the 2000s.
June 28, 2017
whats beautiful about the film is that it expresses the e.t. material without standing into the sci-fi territory. growing up, id watch this flick and it'd scare me to a pulp -- it does that at its finest. with an amazing script, a nail-biting soundtrack and amazing leads, the film does differentiate itself from Shyamalan's previous and latter works. i'd also like to point out the foreshadowing and suspense -- the term 'they' commonly teases us for who the aliens really are. 5/5 from me.
June 25, 2017
This movie is one of the few my family and I consider a classic. The twist to some is very anti-climactic, however it I almost considered genius to many.
½ June 24, 2017
I love this movie. Saw it in the theater when it came out. One of the best suspense science fiction alien movies I've seen. Swing away!
June 16, 2017
(To start my lead up to the release of "Split", im watching all of Shyamalan's films.) This film was actually pretty good. Everyone makes jokes about the twist ending, and yes i agree the twist is kinda cheezy and weak. Even though the twist is laughable, the rest is pretty good. Mel Gibson did great playing a father trying to figure out what the heck is going on. The score is great and makes you feel the intensity at the right moments. The cinematography is great. The shots are nicely composed. M Night Shyamalan did great directing, producing, and writing this film. Definitely check this one out if you want to watch a film about Crop Circle making Aliens.

Rating: 8.4/10
½ June 7, 2017
One of the few M. Night Shyamalan movies that are acceptable. After very mysterious crop circles are found all over the world and a very peculiar type of green visitors start showing up, a family does everything it can to protect itself, even it is with tin foil hats or the great killing weapon that seems to even defeat the Wicked Witch of the West ! XD Excellent soundtrack and good monsters design!
June 3, 2017
Signs feels like you're average suspense film. The acting and premise are crafted well and keep you interested. Shyamalan did well to create and keep suspense accentuated by classic visual tricks. You will be better served if you do not examine Signs' story too closely as it will start to fall apart. Signs had clear themes and communicated them clearly. Overall the film lacked anything special.
May 29, 2017
AWESOME movie! I watch it every time that it comes on.
April 24, 2017
Signs boasts a quietly amazing performance from Mel Gibson and offers fantastically structured suspense thanks to Shyamalan's skill in putting his clever writing to the screen.
April 24, 2017
I like this movie, but its not for the reasons why other people do. I personally don't find this movie good but I was still entertained by it.
April 23, 2017
Amazing movie one of my favorities
½ April 22, 2017
Con un uso intelligente di dialoghi e macchina da presa, Shyamalan ci regala uno dei migliori film della sua filmografia, ricco di tensione e scene veramente inquietanti. Durante la prima parte del film si costruisce una trama estremamente interessante e coinvolgente, che fin da subito riesce a trascinare lo spettatore dentro lo schermo. Queste premesse per me sono durate fino a poco prima della fine, quando le cose vengono risolte in maniera troppo frettolosa, con scelte piuttosto convenienti ai fini di una narrazione più semplice da gestire. Nonostante questo, resta un buon film di fantascienza che mi conferma il talento di un regista molto altalenante.
April 9, 2017
Einfach fürchterlich
½ April 9, 2017
Brilliant. Classic.
Suspense, but no violence or gore.
This is a thrilling treat of a movie.

A wink to the monster flicks of the 50s and yet so much better.
Finely tuned script, solid cinematography, and perfectly paced tension - this kept M. Night Shyamalan on the map after The Sixth Sense, tho honestly his acting here slowed the movie down for such a pivotal character, but that's a small thing compared to this finely tuned mystery.

Thrilling, hilarious incidental humor, great acting, some heartfelt goodness about family support when you aren't sure who you can trust, and a nod to those who have lost their faith and their hope, that maybe its time to dig deeper and rethink it again.

I loved this movie, and bought it soon after seeing it.

4.5 tin hats out of 5
(just go see the movie - worthy.)
April 3, 2017
Mel Gibson - need I say more? He was excellent again. Could have done without the aliens.