Signs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Signs Reviews

½ November 29, 2017
The Sixth Sense 5/10, Unbreakable 6/10, The Visit 5/10, Split 6/10 (Split's my favorite of those four. Also, I saw a little bit of The Village because friends were watching it, but didn't like it, and went to sleep. Also also, I liked Stuart Little as a kid, and Devil's pretty good. I put those in parentheses because he just co-wrote them.!) This movie was pretty good! I think it's one of his best movies. I may like Split a little bit more, but I'd have to re-watch it! The way this movie is made is more like the stuff I really like! But Split is more of the type of plot I like, which is why it's so close! But at least this one doesn't have a stupid ending like Split. Pretty well acted, except Rory Culkin, who was trying too hard. The writing is alright as well, and the direction is better. But the cinematography, score, and set design, are really where it excels! Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this, and it may be about the same rating as Split after I watch that again! I think that's all that I have to say, and I think I said it right! I just barely finished this today, just right after midnight. Watched a majority of it yesterday.
November 14, 2017
Boring and depressing.
½ November 5, 2017
Goofy to a fault, Signs is a far better family drama than it is an alien invasion movie, but is mostly successful thanks to solid directing choices.
October 29, 2017
It's a sharp, risky movie from its writing and film making,which is pretty effective.
October 29, 2017
Signs: An M Night Shyamalone classic. Signs Hitchcocks suspence masterfully. With a heartfelt story and characters, Signs in its own right is a classic that, while not being Shyamalone's best ranks with the modern classics.
½ October 20, 2017
It was a great movie with a building plot and superb acting. A totally great thriller to watch!
½ October 11, 2017
A deeply realized drama with some solid writing and atmospheric direction, even if we can tell that things are beginning to fall apart for Shyamalan.
September 25, 2017
Rating: 39%
Mel Gibson gives his all, but he isn't enough to stop Signs from being a boring and disappointing entry in Shyamalan's filmography.
September 15, 2017
Pretentious , horrible attempt at philosophical science fiction .
September 4, 2017
The twist didn't completely work.
August 31, 2017
whats beautiful about the film is that it expresses the e.t. material without standing into the sci-fi territory. growing up, id watch this flick and it'd scare me to a pulp -- it does that at its finest. with an amazing script, a nail-biting soundtrack and amazing leads, the film does differentiate itself from Shyamalan's previous and latter works. i'd also like to point out the foreshadowing and suspense -- the term 'they' commonly teases us for who the aliens really are. 5/5 from me.
August 29, 2017
Great film. Love M Night.
August 23, 2017
This was a fresh take on alien invasion movies. it iis still a great and suspenseful movie over a decade and a half later!
August 12, 2017
M Night proves himself once again as a director. With a more of focus on thrills and character development.
August 6, 2017
I'm surprised I haven't got round to this film sooner.
I like M. Night Shyamalan's work but I've not seen a great deal and this was an early one, when he was still in his flow. It also has some of my favourite ingredients - Aliens, Mystery and I love a good Mel Gibson film. I had heard mixed reviews, and audiences are definitely spit. I must say that I am definitely one for the positive on this one.
Firstly there are some excellent performances from Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix as the brothers protecting their household. A competent performance from Rory Culkin showing early promise for future roles.
The story plays with ideas of faith and belief in both obvious and subtle ways giving this film many layers from which to extract meaning ...and of course entertainment. Signs manages to be a good popcorn munching suspense/sci-fi and while simultaneously musing over the power of faith and indeed a belief in the signs (sorry) that life/fate provides. Whether you believe in this is from a higher power or pure coincidence is what may have split the viewers on this one.
I feel the film work better in its moments of mystery and suspense, with creeping shadows and ominous noises, than it does in its final show down with Alien invaders. The former is definitely Shyamalan's comfort zone, though he does do well with adapting his style to a variety of genres.
A nice cameo from the man himself too, showing that he can actually act as well as direct.
Overall I found this an engaging an thought provoking movie and it has spurned me to seek out more of what he has to offer.
½ August 1, 2017
The best movie in Shyamalan's filmography. Just fails in the ending, but the rest is "wow" scenes-like.
½ July 29, 2017
This movie is probably one of the best alien movies! It delivers a great story. M Knight Shymalan does it again with fanominal wrighting. The acting is great especially with a great act by Mel Gibson. It was so good I saw it two days in a row. The only reason reason that it is not five stars. Is the animation of the aliens, it is sloppy with no interesting features, but in general it is a great movie to watch.
½ July 22, 2017
while it had is scary moments, there was too much depressed acting, and the effects make it feel I'm watching a B-movie.
½ July 8, 2017
'Signs' is a film which, unfortunately, is highly underappreciated and misunderstood by critics and audience members alike. I've only seen the film once, and I can say that Signs is one of the most suspenseful, well written, and well acted movies ever made. Signs kept me hooked from its opening credits to its ending credits, with brilliant acting and an amazing score by James Newton Howard. The music in Signs works so well in the film. There are more subtle, soft sections with a very tense aura, to louder more chaotic sections for the intense finale. I have a couple nitpicks with Signs, but overall, I loved it. This is one of the best directed, smartest movies of the 2000s.
June 25, 2017
This movie is one of the few my family and I consider a classic. The twist to some is very anti-climactic, however it I almost considered genius to many.