Skate Kitchen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skate Kitchen Reviews

½ February 5, 2019
Did not expect to love this film. As a skater, I'm always skeptical of skating portrayed in film/tv
½ February 4, 2019
Crystal Moselle once again ruins a movie. Last time out it was 'The Wolfpack', a documentary. This is Moselle's first feature, and poor choices abound.

You may want to take a dramamine as shaky cam prevails. It's a gimmick that doesn't work in this particular film. It has a documentary feel which would have made it more interesting, but it's made as a fictional story, despite all the first-time actors who also ride skateboards. Moselle has that unique ability to taken chicken salad and turn it into chicken excrement.

Go watch 'Minding the Gap'. This is a swing and a miss. Elizabeth Rodriguez stands out like a sore thumb because she's the only one who can act. I really wanted to like this because there aren't enough movies about empowered teenage females, but alas I can't even give it a soft recommendation. This also had 'Kids' vibe, if you remember that movie. That really creeped me out. Final Score: 3.3/10
January 2, 2019
I love skate so much, thanks for this movies with interesting facts, I am waiting the next part of that super-movie. Boxxy software helped me to watch this movie with great german dubbing to improve my foreign language.
December 24, 2018
Well made movie; good story and documentary feel. Highly recommend a watch!
½ December 1, 2018
Another quite fascinating film from director Crystal Moselle (The Wolfpack). This quasi-doc, successfully utilizing non-professional actors (with the exceptions of Elizabeth Rodriguez and Jaden Smith) centers on the NYC female collective teen skateboarders called the Skate Kitchen. Although I'm way out of the intended demographic of the movie, I found the characters quite realistic and engaging, as they struggled through the intimacies and bonding of teens at their age.
November 29, 2018
i dont think its possible to raise such a spoiled brat with a mother like that.
script / direction got it wrong.
that girls values and virtues are wack. they should mimic her mothers..
though probably it serves as healthy negative example to educated spoiled brats
November 23, 2018
I didn't watch it yet, but definitely gonna watch it on boxxy software, now on my android phone at work :D don't tell to my boss :D
½ November 21, 2018
I could tell the female touch of the director.
November 16, 2018
Wasnt fond of the plot. The conflict of the story seemed to be forced onto. :/ started out good until the end.couldve been better
½ September 14, 2018
The real girls of Skate Kitchen make it work beautifully as a coming-of-age fictional film. The group's friendship and camaraderie translates naturally to the screen.
August 20, 2018
A great realistic view of the current New York skate scene. Told from a girls point of view. This film reminded me of the 1995 movie Kids. The pacing feels slow but my eyes were always glued to the screen. More like a docu-drama rather than a movie with a classic story line. Props to the filmmakers for getting girls who can really skate and not have to fake it. I never once felt like I was watching actors. Worth watching and well deserved rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
August 20, 2018
Awesome movie. Showing friendship and support, adventures and new life style during teen age.
½ August 20, 2018
The film opens with an excessively bloody scene that prioritizes shock and gore over the reality of skateboarding. What ensues is a similarly sensationalized and divisive take on skateboarding, and the dynamics between young men and women. Moselle is a terrible writer, a miserably un-insightful director, and an outright poser. Since Moselle is incapable of understanding the nuances that define art, she fails to capture their natural magic, and instead attempts to contort them into her own myopic idea of "exciting". Of course, Moselle is a privileged hack with no talent, so her idea of "exciting" is consistent with the bizarre fantasies of rich whit women who vote for Hillary and blame their problems on poor people. These young ladies are far more compelling on instagram, but it's not surprising that Moselle's directorial talent is incapable of rendering something more substantial. The beautiful shots of the ladies skating around the city could not make up for the gaping vacuum of substance where the story should have been.
½ August 10, 2018
It features poignant if simples conflicts, but the real shine comes from its pristine scenes of skating and girls just talking shit.
½ June 3, 2018
Watched it in London....It was lit. iconic moment and I think this film is gonna go down in history. Not cheesy at all, just REAL and beautiful and messy and perfect. Edited perfectly too. It was really good????????????????????