Skate Kitchen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skate Kitchen Reviews

½ September 14, 2018
The real girls of Skate Kitchen make it work beautifully as a coming-of-age fictional film. The group's friendship and camaraderie translates naturally to the screen.
August 20, 2018
A great realistic view of the current New York skate scene. Told from a girls point of view. This film reminded me of the 1995 movie Kids. The pacing feels slow but my eyes were always glued to the screen. More like a docu-drama rather than a movie with a classic story line. Props to the filmmakers for getting girls who can really skate and not have to fake it. I never once felt like I was watching actors. Worth watching and well deserved rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
August 20, 2018
Awesome movie. Showing friendship and support, adventures and new life style during teen age.
½ August 20, 2018
The film opens with an excessively bloody scene that prioritizes shock and gore over the reality of skateboarding. What ensues is a similarly sensationalized and divisive take on skateboarding, and the dynamics between young men and women. Moselle is a terrible writer, a miserably un-insightful director, and an outright poser. Since Moselle is incapable of understanding the nuances that define art, she fails to capture their natural magic, and instead attempts to contort them into her own myopic idea of "exciting". Of course, Moselle is a privileged hack with no talent, so her idea of "exciting" is consistent with the bizarre fantasies of rich whit women who vote for Hillary and blame their problems on poor people. These young ladies are far more compelling on instagram, but it's not surprising that Moselle's directorial talent is incapable of rendering something more substantial. The beautiful shots of the ladies skating around the city could not make up for the gaping vacuum of substance where the story should have been.
½ August 10, 2018
It features poignant if simples conflicts, but the real shine comes from its pristine scenes of skating and girls just talking shit.
½ June 3, 2018
Watched it in London....It was lit. iconic moment and I think this film is gonna go down in history. Not cheesy at all, just REAL and beautiful and messy and perfect. Edited perfectly too. It was really good????????????????????