Skyscraper Reviews

• Mar 22, 2020

You know, its funny, I actually saw this movie before I saw Die Hard. When I finally watched Die Hard recently it hit me...how could they so brazenly rip it off, basically only swapping The Rock for Bruce Willis? Sure, Skyscraper does do some "original" things, but really, did this movie have to happen? I'm sure, like me, you'll say: NO!

• Mar 17, 2020

This is easily one of the worst recent films I've seen, and I've been watching a lot of films (new and old). Whilst the acting is just about acceptable, the plot is laughable, completely unrealistic, is nothing new, and predictable. To make matters worse, this film is a CGI fest and is full to the brim of mediocre computer generated visual effects - the top of the tower fight near the end was just awful. It's not worth a watch and dissappointing to see 'The Rock' falling so low.

• Mar 05, 2020

If there are any bases left uncovered in Die Hard, this movie didn't find it.

If there are any bases left uncovered in Die Hard, this movie didn't find it.

• Mar 04, 2020

If you love cheesy, cliched 80’s action movies desperately trying to be the next die hard, with the take on technology that two clicks of a mouse can hack into the CIA, then you’ll love this movie.

• Feb 25, 2020

I expected more. Well, it's still enjoyable.

I expected more. Well, it's still enjoyable.

• Feb 24, 2020

Plot is pretty mundane and basic. Movie doesnt travel outside the usual modern day bad guy tropes- evil white guy.

• Feb 23, 2020

Someone probably got paid a six-figure bonus for this movie, just let that sink in. You can see the so-called creative process in the boardroom in real time: "People like The Rock, right? People like Die Hard, right?" It's lazy, uninventive, and no fun. Hard pass for a second watch.

• Feb 15, 2020

Awesome. The Rock is awesome. Wife says it has 80s feel.

Awesome. The Rock is awesome. Wife says it has 80s feel.

• Feb 13, 2020

Skyscraper is the bologna of action films in the 21st century. Taking in direct inspirations from Diehard to The Towering Inferno to Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, who knows what else is inside that "meat." Besides the familiar and sometimes cliché plot, Dwayne Johnson is enough of a draw to make it passively watchable or at the very last have it in the background. The family dynamic and inspiring themes are one of the biggest positives of the film. Unforeseen tragic accidents happen in life. In Dwayne Johnson's character, he turn a negative into a positive having success in his family and secular life. He is willing to confront his fears and fight for what he loves the most despite having the odds against him and the worst of circumstances. One quote that highlights this theme in the film is "you can't be brave if you're not scared." His physical limitations depicts this running theme as he realistically walks and fight hobbling because of his amputee leg. Of course, it's ironic there is a scene where he defies the law of gravity and jumps like Spiderman onto the building. But hey, this is Dwayne Johnson we are talking about here. Even though he is not known for his performances more so then his physical presence as an action star, this is one of his better ones. There is a scene in the last act with the character's daughter that demonstrates his raw emotions as an actor. If your a Dwayne Johnson fan, a generic action genre fan, or enjoy the "Do It" inspiring themes, you will be as satisfied as eating your favorite bologna sandwich.

• Dec 30, 2019

While Skyscraper isn't unique enough to stand out amongst Die Hard knockoffs and doesn't rank with some of Dwayne Johnson's better movies, this action movie still offers enough good acting, thrilling set pieces and a tone that isn't as dark as Olympus has Fallen but doesn't rely on the type of mood-lightening banter you'd see in other movies to make it a suitably entertaining blockbuster.