The Smallest Show on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Smallest Show on Earth Reviews

½ June 15, 2015
Good fun, helped by a charming screenplay!
November 7, 2014
The second movie (The magic box being the first) of a double feature presentation at the great Woolton cinema in Liverpool is weirdly a forgotten 1950's gem of a movie that anyone with at least some affection of old and increasingly scarce independent cinemas will absolutely love. Peter Sellers isn't the main focus of the movie, he's rather more a supporting role, but he's utterly fantastic as an old projectionist with a drink problem and he provides the best laughs. The plot is simple yet effective stuff, it's very well told as you really do want to know what's going to happen next; while the pacing never bogs down, and the comedy keeps on coming until the final reel. This really is a film I'd happily recommend to anyone and everyone, and is perfect for a wet Sunday afternoon.
½ February 25, 2012
A classic British comedy, this charming film follows a newlywed couple (Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna) as they encounter an unexpected inheritance to a run-down cinema. Its aged, devoted occupants -- a dotty old lady, a drunk projectionist, and a simple, ancient usher -- help bring the cinema to some small profit, despite continued malfunction. The characters make the picture; their charm shines. Watch for the scene the three older folks give themselves a silent picture treat. Such tenderness.
½ October 31, 2008
Great little movie. Simple and pure of heart.
October 25, 2008
This film is really good, with some quite funny parts, alough at the end it all happens a little quickly! Still an awesome movie though!
½ July 27, 2008
Delightful British comedy of a young couple inheriting a run down movie theatre run by some eccentric characters. Superb cast, very entertaining and well written.
June 24, 2008
Bill Traver inherits a "Flea Pit" and attempts to make go of it. A really sweet comedy with great support from Peter Sellers and Margaret Rutherford.
June 22, 2008
This was actually a good movie for families or for anyone just looking for a fun night in. It's one of the BFI's top rated British Films and it was really cute and funny. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
June 22, 2008
I have this since it was apart of the Peter Sellers collection I purchased a few years back. Honestly, I have no clue why they added this. The film itself is okay, not many great comical moments, but great to see a young Peter playing an elderly man.
½ April 19, 2008
A great Saturday-night-at-home DVD film. A hopeless couple inherit decrepit small town cinema and its bizarre staff, and do battle with the major cinema in the town and its evil owner. Margaret Rutherford and Peter Sellers are part of a great ensemble cast who make this a real treasure. One of the best things about is also the ramshackle cinema they inherit which is on a train line and shakes every time a train goes by. I'm hoping I have a rich uncle I don't know about who can leave me one!
½ February 24, 2008
Charming British comedy which, while not up to the standard of the better Ealing comedies, is nevertheless an amusing and entertaining film with a quality cast. Because of his later international stardom much is made of Peter Sellers' presence, and he's terrific, but he is flanked by two of the greatest actors in British films of the post-war era - Margaret Rutherford and Bernard Miles. Together they make up the trio of oddball staff who have been running the cinema for many years. My favourite moment: Margaret Rutherford walking grimly down the centre aisle offering ice creams for sale. Hard to think it's now over 50 years old!
½ February 20, 2008
OMG Sometimes I feel like Peter Sellers. jUst like my work, although not allowed to drink hehe
February 6, 2008
Evocative of a bygone age, and only 40 odd years ago. Sellers plays it deftly, and all te others are a delight. Great stuff.
½ January 31, 2008
Sweet little British comedy that's especially funny when you've helped take over a piece of crap movie theater. Peter Sellers doesn't do much in his supporting role, but gives a few good laughs.
January 26, 2008
lovely little film about something you dont find much of anymore local little cinema's !!!!
½ January 23, 2008
This film is just so sweet, with Bill (Bill Travers) inheriting a old, rundown cinema. The old characters who run the cinema are so endearing, you know in the same situation you'd have done exactly the same thing. Peter Sellers plays "the old projectionist" well. A must see film, do not dismiss it because you'll miss a treat.
½ December 29, 2007
simply a lovely funny story
½ November 9, 2007
Nothing great but a cute little movie.
October 30, 2007
This was brilliant. Real life 'born free' couple star as the clueless young pair left a decrepit old picture theatre. A range of interesting sub-characters and soem great dialogue make this a re-watch classic!
September 27, 2007
An echo for the growth of multiplex and the loss of the small time theatre