Smurfs: The Lost Village Reviews

• Sep 28, 2019

Probably one of the best reboot to see and enjoy. Defiantly the best picture since Disney's College Road Trip and the Disney Renaissance films, notably The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King.

• Sep 24, 2019

It seems like there was no clear plot line for the story. Good for kids though...

• Sep 05, 2019

The critics apparently hate the Smurfs as it's baffling to me that they gave such harsh reviews to Smurfs: The Lost Village when in reality it's a huge improvement upon its two deservedly judged predecessors. Yes, the story is clichéd and once again the soundtrack is loud and obnoxious, but the animation is colorful, polished and pleasantly traditional in designs, the adventure is spirited and fun plus the characterization is pretty good. It's a very underrated, solid Sony flick.

• Jul 19, 2019

This is a fine movie and MUCH better than the first 2. But I really don't know if it's worth recommending.

• Mar 05, 2019

Fun, entertaining, creative and with a nice "be yourself" message. I loved how it was about Smurfette's journey of self discovery, and how it finally gets rid of the "Smurfette Principle" by having a village of female Smurfs. It almost passes the Bechdel test, too. Hefty Smurf romantically pursues Smurfette, but he's called out on his behaviour many times and they don't even hook up in the end. Rainn Wilson as Gargamel is a little miscast but his performance is fine. Gargamel himself is both comical and dangerous, laughable but still a credible threat to both Smurf tribes. The script is amusing (I love Nosy Smurf as a running gag) and has a lot of memorable dialogue ("Well, I was thinking of getting a little place out here. Just a quiet place in the forest. It's a little breezy up on the hill - WHAT DO YOU THINK I'M DOING HERE?"). This film is dismissed too much and should be given a second look. Some of the female Smurfs could be fleshed out more. Their personalities are a lot of fun.

• Feb 11, 2019

This is a huge improvement of the Smurf movies

This is a huge improvement of the Smurf movies

• Nov 26, 2018

I really like the animation. The story was okay.

I really like the animation. The story was okay.

• Nov 23, 2018

I have no nostalgic connection to the Smurfs but I was intrigued by this one in particular. Mainly because it touched upon an interesting idea the smurfs never really talked about, the idea that literally every smurf aside from Smurfette is male. Where does she come from? are there other female smurfs out there? It was an interesting concept that took a jab at its own franchise. Also, based on trailers and images released, this movie looked gorgeous. I gave it a shot, despite the mostly negative reviews and....Its totally fine, and I mean that in a more enthusiastic way and not in a total "meh" way. Yes, it does have a predictable story, I'm not crazy about this Gargamel, and I can totally understand why people wouldn't like it but for the most part, this was really enjoyable to see. My thoughts as a whole are more mixed-to-positive but I say give it a watch if your a Smurfs fan or if you were just interested in this idea as I was.

• Oct 15, 2018

This time the visuals of the movie were great. It was also more faithful to the original cartoon. Although the story was boring and super predictable. This movie was not perfect. But I'll take this over the mess that was smurfs 1 and 2

• Oct 14, 2018

I missed the live-action versions because they looked terrible, but this one was a delightful throwback to the original 80's cartoon with a great voice cast and a girl power message that corrected some of the original flaws and my four year old son is fascinated by it.