Strange Days Reviews

• Feb 26, 2019

“Movies are better than Playback....”

“Movies are better than Playback....”

• Ed K Super Reviewer
    Dec 20, 2018

Original and entertaining. Not the greatest ending (in terms of plausibility) but not a horrible one either.

• Oct 20, 2018

If you like Sci-Fi, this has to be on your "must-see before you die" list! Very compelling story-line, which adds in some references to racial tensions still going on today. Well-acted, with a lot of interesting camera work (editing?) by James Cameron

• Oct 07, 2018

very stylish and unique movie with original cinematography

very stylish and unique movie with original cinematography

• Aug 20, 2018

Don't know why this movie got bad reviews, love it every time I see it.

Don't know why this movie got bad reviews, love it every time I see it.

• Jun 11, 2018

Set in the then-near-future of 1999, "Strange Days" takes a film noir plot and jams it into the shell of a 1990's sci-fi action thriller. It kind of works. Ralph Fiennes is a disgraced, ex-vice cop who makes a living dealing in illicit recordings of people's brain waves. People record themselves in violent and/or sexual situations and when played back, it's as if you are literally them. He gets involved in a convoluted plot about a murdered rap star, the LAPD and a psycho killing people and recording their deaths from his POV. A couple of things don't completely work for me. It has a very exposition heavy, dialogue packed script that feels like it would be fine for a noir thriller, but bogs down a film that has a more frenetic pace. Juliet Lewis is Fiennes's singer ex who he obsesses over, and she's just too lightweight a presence to be his character's primary motivation. The rest of the cast is superb. At 2 1/2 hours, it feels more than a little too long, especially since it has 3 separate climaxes.

• Apr 07, 2018

This movie is deep and very well created.I'm surprised he first time I watched it was 2018. Definitely worth it.

• Mar 29, 2018

This movie was just alright to me. I enjoyed the plot and the different branching stories from it but this movie just seemed like it was missing something. I thought the selection of actors for the characters were pretty spot on and the director did a great job maintaining tension and suspense throughout the movie. As for the visuals of the movie I was actually very impressed, sure there were some darker settings in certain parts of the movie but there were also parts where there was a lot of color and interesting camera angles that really just entices you in the moment. Not gonna spoil anything for someone who has not seen this movie and may be considering watching it but the movie did have a good twist/ surprising moment where everything came together and made sense. Overall I'd give this movie a 3 out of 5 because I would recommend it but only as a movie to watch if you can't find anything else.

• Mar 27, 2018

I had never heard of this movie before and was assigned to watch it for a college class I am taking.Apparently, it didn't do well when it first came out in 1995. I think that could be due to the fact that maybe it was too unrealistic for viewers back then. Keep in mind this was before technology became so advanced and the possibilities of experiencing virtual reality was unknown. Now we have the technology and people are able to create virtual realities online all the time through video games and social media sites. This is probably why their is a resurgence of popularity with this film 23 years later. The film revolves around a device called a SQUID-Superconducting Quantum Interference Device- a headset that records the wearer's experiences for others to later plug in and experience themselves.Being wired," or "jacked in," as the movie's terms go is similar to a drug addiction. "This is not like, 'TV, only better,'" explains Lenny to a customer. "This is life. This is a piece of somebody's life. Pure and uncut, straight from the cerebral cortex. I mean, you're there, you're doing it, you're hearing it, you're feeling it." I gave the movie 4 stars because it has so many story lines going that it can be a little confusing. I think it it just focused on the virtual realities that the population became obsessed with and how scary and realistic that seems today,then it would have been worthy of four stars. It is definitely a movie worth seeing!

• Mar 26, 2018

Main characters could have been a little neater and cleaner. Just a little.

Main characters could have been a little neater and cleaner. Just a little.