Superbad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superbad Reviews

March 10, 2018
I must not be in the proper age bracket to enjoy this movie. I thought Jonah Hill's character was too obnoxious to have friends for as long as he did.
January 28, 2018
I had initially thought of this movie as infantile, unfunny, and lame. I have since watched it a couple times and now I do find it funny enough. Michael Cera's personality eventually gets on your nerves, but that applies to all of his movies.
½ January 14, 2018
I laughed once during this movie. When the cop talked about how his wife had a gang-bang on their wedding night and he wasn't invited. The three lead characters are most likely closeted homosexuals who are unable to act on their feelings. They have no chemistry with their female counterparts.

Allegedly Rogen and Goldberg wrote this movie when they were fourteen. And I don't think they did a second draft. Also this movie unleashed Emma Stone on the innocent moviegoers worldwide. She's an okay actress but I think her Oscar win was probably due to good editing.....
½ January 2, 2018
It's extremely funny and memorable, but also nostalgic and heart-warming at times. The characters are often crude, but good at heart and relatable. Everyone was a stupid teenager once, and everything about "Superbad" has cult classic written all over it.
½ December 25, 2017
Hilarious. One of my favorite comedies. A perfect blend of subtlety and vulgarity, with a perfect seasoning of emotion.
December 24, 2017
Strengths: This movie is flat out hilarious. I've seen this movie so many times and I find myself cracking up with each viewing. That's the mark of a truly great comedy. Everyone was perfectly cast, with Jonah Hill (Seth) and Michael Cera (Evan) doing some of their best comedic work ever. The cops (Seth Rogen and Bill Hader) are hilarious and one of the best parts of the movie. We're also introduced to a woman who has arguably become the best actress of this era, Emma Stone (Jules). Then, there's Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Fogell), who played arguably the most memorable character. Nearly everything involving McLovin is comedy gold. That's a talented cast list without me even mentioning the quick appearances by Dave Franco, Clark Duke and Joe Lo Truglio. The characters are all relatable and likable, even in their most unlikable moments. It had a simple, but effective story and was loaded with memorable, quotable scenes. While it has some raunchy moments, the heart of the film is strong and focuses on the bond between Seth and Evan. I'm probably forgetting a lot, because there was so much to love about Superbad.

Weaknesses: If I had to pick a gripe, it would be that the scene involving Seth and Evan in sleeping bags near the end feels like it drags on a bit. The same could kind of be said for how the McLovin/cops storyline ends. Even that feels like nitpicking, though, as they served a purpose.

Overall: An absolute classic. One of the best comedies I've ever seen. It's my favorite movie of 2007 and I say that fully knowing that films like No Country for Old Men and Juno are from the same year. It was a launching pad for several talented stars (Stone, Hill, Cera) and remains some of their best work.
November 5, 2017
A vulgar and realistic high school comedy drama. Hilarious plot despite having a straightforward storyline and it has genuine chemistry between the characters. Jonah Hill's solid performance launched his comedic career. Some elements of the movie have since become cult status. The McLovin ID is still memorable to this very day.
½ November 3, 2017
Hilarious! One you can watch again and again with a fantastic cast of characters.
½ October 19, 2017
Very funny and super relatable
October 14, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever created!
October 6, 2017
September 6, 2017
Ok of Seth rogens best performances
½ September 2, 2017
Funny, but hardly stands the test of time
September 1, 2017
There are times I have been fooled into buying and watching a film based on either critical or audience approval, but rarely both. This is one of those rare occurrences where a certified fresh rating by a critical consensus paired with an equally glowing audience-metre, simply boggles the mind after watching the movie in question. This film is mostly puerile and downright ridiculous, and not in a clever or amusing way. Take the two supposed cops. They aren't funny. They certainly aren't remotely realistic or grounded any sort of way. They're just plain silly and lame. Period. And annoying. Oh, how truly irritating they are, let me count the ways! As for the rest of the film, you have... dire dialogue - with the exception of a handful of *midly* funny lines, the majority is swearing and coarse crudity (because that's always hilarious apparently, according to some people) - average acting, a bloated, desultory, meandering plot and absent character focus, ameliorated ever so slightly with the odd reasonable funny moment (the headbutting scene was rather amusing I'll admit, and no you won't see if coming, so it isn't a spoiler), and you have the aptly titled 'Superbad'. Or, if you prefer, 'Supermess', or even 'Superlame', as any of these are equally apt. I'm beginning to think that two stars is far too generous. *heavy sigh* 2/5*
August 19, 2017
Superbad (2007) explores the confused emotional turmoil and awkward situations that arise in high school with sensitivity and plenty of laughs. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are in their comfort zones as they play a hilarious and typically flawed duo trying to reach the pinnacle of high school popularity. The film milks the best from the duo, while balancing their wacky, raunchy story and gags with refreshing intelligence and honesty about adolescence. The film's greatest strength is its dialogue: it's paced well and packed with emotional nuance, with extensive opportunity for Seth Rogan and Bill Hader to make a great impact. Superbad's appeal stems from the idea that the absurd fantasies of hormonal, intoxicated guys may actually come true - and what can go wrong if it does. The sad situation that duo (who have great chemistry) are dealing with behind the booze is poignant throughout and gives the film added substance and authenticity. Superbad (2007) blends director Greg Mottola's dramatic influence with producer Judd Apatow's eye for a hilariously vulgar gag to great effect.
August 6, 2017
People have raved about Superbad for ages, and I've always been told to watch it.
Well...finally got round to it..and it is pretty good. Its not the laugh fest that I expected, but it does perfectly capture the awkwardness of youth and the strength of good friendship. The casting is spot on, and the Aptow style adlib script works perfectly. Particularly liked Bill Hader and Seth Rogen as the far the best thing in the film. Good laugh this one.
½ August 5, 2017
I guess this is what gets made in Hollywood when you have a couple of previous hits.... Not much surprises me anymore. But how this awful movie has an 88% rating by the critics and 87% by the audience does. The writing is like a 1st draft by 8th graders. The only thing unique is Jonah getting blood on his pants while dancing witha girl on her period. 2 maybe 3 mildly funny lines. The absurd cops are plain stupid and about as funny as having a turd show up in your salad in real-life.
½ July 25, 2017
It's gotta be an American Classic.
½ July 21, 2017
One of the best comedy's I've ever seen! Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are hilarious but the best characters are the police officers portrayed by the comedians Seth Rogan and Bill Hader. They were great!
July 20, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny hilarious movie starring Seth Rogan, Jonah hill, Michael cera and Bill hader. I love this movie, every joke is funny especially Jonah hill, he's so funny, he's to me the second funniest actor ever. Number one is Mike Myers, sorry Seth Rogan, you are number 3. I love the concept of 2 high school kids trying to get the girls and get alcohol for them and do some crazy stuff with some cops like foggle. He's the best character in this movie, he does the craziest things, him as a character is the best.