Superbad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superbad Reviews

September 6, 2017
Ok of Seth rogens best performances
½ September 2, 2017
Funny, but hardly stands the test of time
September 1, 2017
There are times I have been fooled into buying and watching a film based on either critical or audience approval, but rarely both. This is one of those rare occurrences where a certified fresh rating by a critical consensus paired with an equally glowing audience-metre, simply boggles the mind after watching the movie in question. This film is mostly puerile and downright ridiculous, and not in a clever or amusing way. Take the two supposed cops. They aren't funny. They certainly aren't remotely realistic or grounded any sort of way. They're just plain silly and lame. Period. And annoying. Oh, how truly irritating they are, let me count the ways! As for the rest of the film, you have... dire dialogue - with the exception of a handful of *midly* funny lines, the majority is swearing and coarse crudity (because that's always hilarious apparently, according to some people) - average acting, a bloated, desultory, meandering plot and absent character focus, ameliorated ever so slightly with the odd reasonable funny moment (the headbutting scene was rather amusing I'll admit, and no you won't see if coming, so it isn't a spoiler), and you have the aptly titled 'Superbad'. Or, if you prefer, 'Supermess', or even 'Superlame', as any of these are equally apt. I'm beginning to think that two stars is far too generous. *heavy sigh* 2/5*
August 19, 2017
Superbad (2007) explores the confused emotional turmoil and awkward situations that arise in high school with sensitivity and plenty of laughs. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are in their comfort zones as they play a hilarious and typically flawed duo trying to reach the pinnacle of high school popularity. The film milks the best from the duo, while balancing their wacky, raunchy story and gags with refreshing intelligence and honesty about adolescence. The film's greatest strength is its dialogue: it's paced well and packed with emotional nuance, with extensive opportunity for Seth Rogan and Bill Hader to make a great impact. Superbad's appeal stems from the idea that the absurd fantasies of hormonal, intoxicated guys may actually come true - and what can go wrong if it does. The sad situation that duo (who have great chemistry) are dealing with behind the booze is poignant throughout and gives the film added substance and authenticity. Superbad (2007) blends director Greg Mottola's dramatic influence with producer Judd Apatow's eye for a hilariously vulgar gag to great effect.
August 6, 2017
People have raved about Superbad for ages, and I've always been told to watch it.
Well...finally got round to it..and it is pretty good. Its not the laugh fest that I expected, but it does perfectly capture the awkwardness of youth and the strength of good friendship. The casting is spot on, and the Aptow style adlib script works perfectly. Particularly liked Bill Hader and Seth Rogen as the cops....by far the best thing in the film. Good laugh this one.
½ August 5, 2017
I guess this is what gets made in Hollywood when you have a couple of previous hits.... Not much surprises me anymore. But how this awful movie has an 88% rating by the critics and 87% by the audience does. The writing is like a 1st draft by 8th graders. The only thing unique is Jonah getting blood on his pants while dancing witha girl on her period. 2 maybe 3 mildly funny lines. The absurd cops are plain stupid and about as funny as having a turd show up in your salad in real-life.
½ July 25, 2017
It's gotta be an American Classic.
½ July 21, 2017
One of the best comedy's I've ever seen! Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are hilarious but the best characters are the police officers portrayed by the comedians Seth Rogan and Bill Hader. They were great!
July 20, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny hilarious movie starring Seth Rogan, Jonah hill, Michael cera and Bill hader. I love this movie, every joke is funny especially Jonah hill, he's so funny, he's to me the second funniest actor ever. Number one is Mike Myers, sorry Seth Rogan, you are number 3. I love the concept of 2 high school kids trying to get the girls and get alcohol for them and do some crazy stuff with some cops like foggle. He's the best character in this movie, he does the craziest things, him as a character is the best.
July 20, 2017
I've been putting off watching this movie for so long. I don't know why I waited. It had me smiling from the very opening scene until the very end.
July 10, 2017
It's the great coming of age film for anyone born from the late 80s to the early 90s.
July 4, 2017
The funniest movie ever
July 1, 2017
Hilarious, rauchy and even heartwarming, this movie is a great addition to the high school comedy genre. And, although I thought that maybe it was a little bit too long and that it was particularly weak in the middle (I was not a big fan of the whole cops storyline) it's still a movie that keeps you laughing thoughout most of the film. Emma Stone does a great job in a relatively small role and Jonah Hill steals the whole movie, showing his great acting abilities. I still can't believe someone got paid to draw hundreds of imaginative penis drawings, but I'm glad he did because that was hilarious. In sum, Superbad is a great american comedy with a telented cast and a simple yet hilarious premise.
½ June 23, 2017
One of the funniest well acted comedies I have seen!!!
June 17, 2017
Funny, but with a heart. Coming of age story about two high school dudes who are not part of the cool clique. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are supergreat compliments to one another comedically. Saw this when it first came out and then again ten years later and it holds up. It feels like it was written by guys, but underneath the volgarity there are some gems of observation about the early 21st century adolescent American male and the social norms in 2007.
June 12, 2017
The title says it all.
June 6, 2017
Fantastic penis art,...hail to the MacLOVIN. R U MacLOVIN It?
May 29, 2017
I don't use absolutes hardly ever :), but this is the funniest movie I have ever seen.
Bradley T. Johnson
May 16, 2017
Never quite as funny or as sincere as it wants to be, but still full of memorable little moments. Rating: 58
May 5, 2017
A very funny film that feels like a throwback to some of the teen comedies from the 80s. Very funny if you can tolerate Hills blunt humour which is sometimes hilarious but very loud. Not a classic but following the success of Pineapple express and Knocked Up, Rogen was on a roll and this film has many memorable funny moments. 06/05/2017.