Superbad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superbad Reviews

½ September 21, 2016
I have heard that this is one of the best comedies out there, but I have to disagree. I was disappointed. There was not really that much to laugh about. It was far too vulgar and awkward for me to laugh. I have seen better comedies.
September 17, 2016
Having a best friend is most likely going to be the most irreplaceable aspect anyone can encounter, an aspect that actors Jonah Hill and Michael Cera managed to demonstrate so brilliantly, it works in Superbad, a comedy that knows what the teenage life is all about.
September 16, 2016
Another one of those one time deals where it's a great movie and will not be repeated in terms of comedy greatness. If you are ready to have fun and laugh then you are ready to watch Superbad.
½ September 16, 2016
Ero molto scettico all'inizio nei confronti di questo film, ma devo dire che Ŕ molto divertente e pi¨ intelligente di quello che sembra. Forse grazie alla sua costante volgaritÓ non sarÓ un tuffo nella cultura, ma per farsi due risate ignoranti non c'Ŕ niente di meglio.
½ September 14, 2016
A successful 2000's version of high school getting laid comedies. Hits home pretty hard on a personal level as I acted a lot like Seth in high school and had an eerily similar relationship with 2 friends who were just like Evan and McLovin. Superbad is funny throughout although a little immature at times and not as sentimental as a lot of critics think. The penis drawings and funky music are great little aspects.
September 6, 2016
One of the best comedies in recent memory
½ September 5, 2016
It still holds up. So this is about two high school seniors (Jonah Hill, Michael Cera) who are getting ready for college. Rather, they will be shortly, as soon as they can make their way to the big, year-end party with as much booze as they can gather and hopefully score with their respective love interests in throwback 80's fashion. If you like raunchy humor, it doesn't really get much better than it does with Superbad. I saw this once back when it came out in theaters and 1 - 2 times after it on DVD, but it has been a good 7 -8 years since I last watched it. I'm pleased to say that it is still as laugh out loud funny as it was in 2007. There isn't an effort made to hide it, as the lead characters share the same names, but this is based on the high school experiences of writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Rogen even goes so far to have a supporting role of a police officer of questionable moral standards. I don't know about you guys, but my high school life was 100% not anything like this. It was tame and mostly alcohol free, but I can still appreciate a story that has the gall to get this nuts, even if I can't relate to it on a personal level. And I know most of the actors and actresses have moved on to bigger and better things (take Emma Stone for example), but back in 2007, they were largely unknown and you actually could believe that they are high school seniors that are on this alcohol quest, a rare feat for a movie that's about teenagers. Superbad is charismatic, and it is proficient in nailing awkward moments, especially with how terrible these boys are at talking to girls. Both Hill and Cera always have the potential to be great when they are utilized correctly, and this remains one of their best roles for the both of them. It keeps upping the ante with how crazy it gets, which is all the more shocking and hilarious because it is based on real life events. Even through all the crassness and all the vulgarity, there is actually a sweet coming of age story to be found underneath it all, and that's what manages to elevate this above your garden variety raunch fest. It is still laugh out loud funny, and if you go back to rewatch it again, you will not be disappointed.
September 1, 2016
Good movie. Very rude. Got better as it went on.
½ August 31, 2016
Vulgar, profane, and absolutely hysterical. Superbad is one of the very best comedies of the decade.

Grade: A
August 21, 2016
Awesome!! Total guy movie with non-stop laughs. This is probably one of my top 3 comedies ever. Seen it in theaters twice and I never do that.
August 19, 2016
Simply hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw this movie and to this day some of the scenes and one-liners still get me. The story is somewhat unique in some aspects giving the rest of the film a sense of freshness in an otherwise saturated area of coming-of-age comedies. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera really seem to feed off each other's energy and the result is comedic gold.
½ August 14, 2016
The more I thought about this movie, the more I things I realized I liked about it. You connect with their awkward, vulnerable experiences while also laughing at some really good writing. You have no problem suspending disbelief for a few scenarios that are just fun to watch.
August 7, 2016
Comfortably awkward string of stupid situations. A load of dumb adventures in underage drinking & sexuality on the verge of graduating high school.
August 5, 2016
It was good....not as good as Knocked up but still very funny
August 2, 2016
An update of "Dazed and Confused" as a semi-raunchy teen comedy fixating on a trio trying to seize the night with drinking, resulting in laughs and fitting energy in the performances towards the genre's recognizable writing. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ July 29, 2016
Funniest teen comedy to date, It wasn't afraid to try new things and they paid off, It's American Pies older brother and it gives comedy films the push it needed.
July 26, 2016
Superbad is a hilarious teen comedy about how far people will go for a night with the girl of their dreams. It is full of jokes, alcohol, and a guy named McLovin.

-The Critic
July 19, 2016
The birth of our current generation of comedy stars left me feeling completely left out. Possibly because I'd heard the entire movie quoted a thousand times before I finally saw it against my will.
July 12, 2016
While the film is funny and at times clever, it's more heart-warming than anything.
½ July 10, 2016
HILARIOUS with a great story. very unique type of comedy with lots of memorable scenes. the awkward comedy was some of the best i've seen, rivaling the office. and the 3 main students were all PERFECT in their roles. I also loved Seth Rogen and Bill Hader as the cops (about 5 viewings)