Swimming Pool - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swimming Pool Reviews

½ September 22, 2016
Clever, psychologically sharp, masterfully acted, unnerving and... beautiful.
July 5, 2016
A fantastic thriller about a anonymity-seeking crime novelist from Britain who seeks an end to her writer's' block in her publisher's villa in France, only to find herself holed up with his French daughter whose promiscuity, drug use, and sarcasm at first frustrate the writer, then provide inspiration for her. This film has a great atmosphere which is erotic, philosophical, and shot through with a kind of teenage angst coming from both the young daughter and the much older writer who appears to be involved in some way with her publisher. It's full of striking imagery and vivid characterization, providing a new twist on what you might expect to find in a European villa.
½ February 17, 2016
An absorbing and highly stimulating film that intriguingly dissolves the barrier that separates reality and fiction to tell a strange story about that point of an artist's creative process when she has to search inside herself to reach that sparkle of inspiration that eludes her.
½ November 23, 2015
Great plot and twist, with an awesome performance by Rampling.
November 17, 2015
After seeing the Swimming Pool, I wanted to quit my job, move to France and look for Julie!! An interesting story set in the beautiful French country side with a surprise ending. Which story are we watching?!
October 20, 2015
The acting alone is reason to watch this, a mysterious, sensous vibe is just extra.
½ September 14, 2015
Though Charlotte Rampling is brilliant, as usual, I felt this movie is somehow incomplete. What's missing?
½ May 7, 2015
Sometimes as a writer, the line between reality and fantasy gets blurred.
Was intrigued for the potentiality of something dreamy and yet intense storyline. Aside from the lure of the svelte bikini body and snippets of the French countryside, nothing much else could hold my interest.
½ April 12, 2015
Good mystery ladened gem from the same director that gave us the very excellent Dans La Maison. As usual, lots of sexuality that would pander to the perversion of some adults and good build-up. The French in general just have more fun!
April 10, 2015
Equal to Hitchcock / Chabrol at his prime. Brilliant. Not to be missed.
½ February 17, 2015
A dark, intelligent, stylish thrill ride set in the beautifully lit French countryside, Swimming Pool plays to director Francois Ozon's strength in successfully hooking the audience and manipulating them with ease.
October 28, 2014
Suspense adorable, arty et scénario intrigant. Je le recommande beaucoup! J'ai aimé les relations entre les personnages et les dialogues. Film profond, tout comme l'est une piscine creusée.
September 8, 2014
Dull making of an interesting story.
August 13, 2014
Excellent movie, excellent mystery. one aspect of the mystery i started to figure out after seeing it 8 times. Ludivine Sagnier is wonderful, charming sexy and naked.
May 29, 2014
I recently just got into Ozon, as Young & Beautiful was enigmatic and well made. Swimming Pool has some of the same stuff, but it decides to leaves most of its juicy stuff near the end, making the first half very boring. Once the second half gets underway, things get a little better in this weird drama/thriller.
May 12, 2014
Enchanting. Intoxicating. Charlotte Rampling can never be bad. I adored
this film for every salient reason: Cinematography; strong characterizations by wonderful actors. interesting plotline and mysterious thrills. My mouth salivated even when she stocked up on food from the local grocer.
The only film I did not enjoy her in was "Three", but not because of her. The writing and direction was so "off". It's difficult to dislike this incredible actress no matter what role she plays.
Swimming Pool is a harsh metaphor on women and their relationships with men.
If you are into fine cinema, fine acting, slip this one into your Bucket List.
½ May 8, 2014
While most people are discussing how brave Charlotte Rampling has been, is it actually Sarah's authentic experience, or a purely fictitious plot in her novel? Ludivine Sagnier is so hot here.
April 14, 2014
I remember when this first came out, everyone kept calling it a great mystery, so I finally see it, and there's hardly any mystery! The "mystery" aspect isnt introduced until like 25 mins left and is resolved so quickly that it isnt worth the time and effort, thats not to say it was a bad film for it, its an interesting drama about 2 conflicting females, it shouldve been marketed as such, the 2 lead girls are good, but needed way more charles dance
½ February 20, 2014
SWIMMING POOL is a laid-back, sensual thriller with top-notch performances by Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier. The story is about a British crime novelist, Sarah Morton (Rampling) who, lacking in inspiration, is allowed by her publisher to vacation at his French home to begin work on a new novel. Trouble starts when his daughter shows up unexpectedly and begins to turn things upside down for the uptight novelist. Gradually, Sarah starts to come out of her shell and then things take a turn I didn't expect (which I'll leave unsaid). The best thing about this incredible film are the great performances given by Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier (as Sarah's publisher's daughter). They bring so much depth to their characters and every scene they share is a treat to watch. Also of note is the eerie, mysterious score which does an excellent job at setting the tone of the film. The film is also shot very well, with lots of beautiful location shooting on the French countryside. The only negative I could find was a scene about two thirds of the way through when Julie (Sagnier) brings home a waiter who Sarah happens to know, and they have a little dance party. It was more the choice of song than anything, although the scene was rather awkward in and of itself. Still, this only reminds me why I love French films, especially thrillers like this one. Highly recommended.