The Book Thief Reviews

• 4d ago

A pastel coloured warm tale of maxi Germany. Enchanting colours and weak acting, full of cliches make this hard to take seriously.

• Mar 31, 2020

Although the direction altogether isn't quite up to the mark, the story has its own melancholy of atrocities to it. Not quite the movie i'd recommend everybody but certainly a one time watch for all those who wish to pass time.

• Jan 23, 2020

Both the book and the movie will break your heart with their realism.

Both the book and the movie will break your heart with their realism.

• Jan 15, 2020

It was a great movie, the message was great. GO WATCH ITTTTT

It was a great movie, the message was great. GO WATCH ITTTTT

• Jerry M
    Jan 04, 2020

When the beginning opens in Nazi Germany circa 1938 you think, OK they are setting the table for the story. At least that's what I thought. I was as wrong as this movie is long. Think of the beginning of a movie that's a few minutes long to offer the background of what you need to know about the story. Now think of that few minutes ponderously elongated to 2-hours and 7-mins. Throw in some Hogan's Heroes accents with Dr. Ruth's pronunciation of "R"s and that's The Book Thief in a nutshell. I know that I am in the minority on this one, but so be it. It was arduously long and drawn out. The movie covers 5+ year period and the child actors don't age - minor issue but for a movie with such great detail and drama this seems to have been overlooked. The ending is corny (I won't spoil) and the movie seems to end three different times. But like every good horror movie it ain't over folks. Nope. Fade to black...GOTCHA!!! Here's another 5-minutes of self-serving, we can't decide what endings.

• Apr 28, 2019

Very good and entertaining

Very good and entertaining

• Apr 05, 2019

A beautiful and haunting adaptation is full of dark emotions and themes. The acting is amazing and story is full of twists which keep you engaged in the film from beginning to the end. Which it sticks long after the film.

• Mar 23, 2019

This movie was beautiful in my opinion, and I think the way the emotions were executed was awesome!

• Mar 09, 2019

a young adult film of a young adult book.

a young adult film of a young adult book.

• Nov 29, 2018

This is a movie for people who've read the novel. If you haven't, you'll not see the fun and humor in it. Characters are relatable, and tied in to the source-material. Great, great movie if you've read Markus Zusak's work.