The Brothers Grimsby Reviews

• Jan 04, 2020

Extremely grim, vulgar, vile and downright disgusting but nonetheless made me and the fam have a good laugh.

• Oct 10, 2019

I don't quite know how they managed to legally justify the elephant scenes and although shocked, i was impressed that two men were able to fit. I did not know such things could happen but i guess anything goes in Hollywood. Very decent film.

• Oct 04, 2019

Typical Sacha Baron Cohen humor...juvenile and crude...but sometimes gets a chuckle.

• Sep 12, 2019

A completely wrong film on all levels, hey, that's an achievement. The Brothers Grimsby Louis Leterrier is an experienced action director. There is no action in this film. None. Usually whenever I dive in on Sacha Baron Cohen's maniacal film, I try and give him the credit at first. But now that he doesn't have his home team in his pocket. I could see the effect that it casts him and us, investing in this film. The project is light, lazy and effortful. Light as in the jokes are staged- just as the loud and cheesy elements that might help the characters later- and can actually be seen far before it punches, by then it is not funny. It is disappointing. Lazy, as in you'd think that the humor that he has based his fame on would evolve in say.. I don't know, a decade! Effortful as in, at the end of the day, Sacha is a witty comedian and he understands that it is not working and hence all the sketchy sequences reeks of desperation. Desperation to pull off something inedible, offensive, out of the box and just straight out wrong. Another thing I cannot stop myself from noticing was the cast. Sacha has got a big cast. He is a big name. He has a responsibility under his name and peer pressure to respect his fame. And no, it has not made him sober, he is still high on his dark humorous vocab that made him who he is. But there is something definitely missing, that I cannot put my finger on. He is unstable, surely and incredibly dutiful on passing a major theme. Speaking of which, usually the crass jokes are weighed in by a nuanced eye opening message. But in this espionage comic thriller, even that too is missing. The Brothers Grimsby looks like a tell tale of his, Sacha's, own filmography, I'd rather go back to Borat who was so 2006.

• Sep 10, 2019

It's so vulgar yet so hilarious.

It's so vulgar yet so hilarious.

• Sep 07, 2019

Really funny yall reviewers don't know comedy

Really funny yall reviewers don't know comedy

• Jul 19, 2019

Es un humor fuerte y a la vez una crítica social. Excelente!

Es un humor fuerte y a la vez una crítica social. Excelente!

• Jul 13, 2019

For "Grimsby" (or "The Brothers Grimsby" if you reside stateside) Sacha Baron Cohen does exactly what you expect him to do in order to make you laugh. He dons an outrageous getup, speaks in a funny accent, and participates in all sorts of off-color buffoonery. The difference this time is that he REALLY wants to make you laugh, and he wants you to know it. Sadly, though, that's the precise reason why this movie ends up lacking so much in a comedic light. When the first joke comes along to push the envelope -- so to speak -- it's shocking, but ultimately funny in a sort of "I can't believe what I'm watching" kind of way. But when the next few jokes come along -- with many of them trying to push the envelope in a manner similar to the first joke -- you start to realize that the talents at hand are just overtly trying too hard to make you laugh. It ruins the fun. Again, it's good to see effort on display, but at a certain point, I'm going to grow tired of seeing you try and out outdo yourself time and time again.

• Jun 14, 2019

Not stellar but funny enough!

Not stellar but funny enough!

• May 15, 2019

You know, I am revolted by a lot of this movie but it certainly is a guilty pleasure. Apart from the gross humor, there are a lot of smaller subtleties that alone are worth a few laughs. I give it a high rating because of the dead seriousness mixed in with awful situations and while the plot is clearly not like a Bond film or anything, it suffices perfectly fine as it is and seems to round things back to their origins like any good comedy. So to say, there is thought put into this whether or not the rest of the reviews acknowledge it. Points for skeletor, django unchained, promises to burn down the school, succeeding where Voldemort failed, the welcome home banner, and a lot more. I'm going against the grain here and saying this is worth watching.