The Dark Tower Reviews

• slick j
    21h ago

I watched it twice. I never watch a movie twice.

I watched it twice. I never watch a movie twice.

• 5d ago

The Dark Tower stars Mathew McConaughey and Idris Elba in this Stephen King adapted flick. I loved the book but this movie was terrible, the acting, direction. and the editing just didn't work out. The top talent actors couldn't save this one. Stephen King was inspired by The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly along with Lord Of The Rings but it just didn't portray very well in this one. I will most likely not remember this one. Mathew was not a convincing bad guy and Elba was not a great gunslinger. Skip this one all together, not worth your time.

• Apr 04, 2020

I feel like every bad comic book series adaptation was dulled down even more to produce the result of this. Good God is this hokey. McConaughey breezes his way through it, not giving a shit because his career is so good otherwise.

• Mar 27, 2020

Not sure why all the hate. It was a perfectly serviceable action flick. Yes, I read a couple of DT books back in college, and yes, they CLEARLY hacked the source material massively, but if you take the film on its own, it is ok. There are a lot of tropes rehashed here. The creepy bad guys don't seem all that scary. Even Matthew Mcconaughey isn't particularly threatening. More like MM with Christopher Walken makeup. But it was interesting enough to follow through to the end. I guess the caveat is if you are a massive Steven King fan and read all the books and know all the lore, you are gonna feel 'Last Jedied', so I apologize to true fans.

• Mar 23, 2020

Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, based upon source material written by Stephen King... this could have been so good. The acting was good, some of the action was pretty cool, the visual effects were, at times, stunning, but the plot made no sense. As a fan of King's Dark Tower novels, I'm really disappointed with this treatment. This may have been intended as the start of a series, but to alter the original material so significantly and reduce eight books (and one short story) down to a 90 minute movie is offensive. I don't blame the actors at all, but the script and story were a mess.

• Mar 15, 2020

Disliked a bunch of things for one not enough character development and not a good enough final battle oh so the man in black died by a trick not great and for one thing what on earth was rolands back story

• Mar 09, 2020

Honestly not as bad as the reviews. A movie below 25% should be unwatchable. This was actually amusing. It had some good action, some decent sci-fi and world building concepts. Not the best but really not that bad. Definitely worth watching for free. 6.5/10

• Mar 02, 2020

Meh, it passed the time. I was super psych the movie after reading all the books, comics, and side stories. The movie falls so hard short it's unforgivable. If they came out with two sequels with the same actors I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. And that's a shot at the storyline, not the acting. I hope someday they just try to take the 1st book, The Gunslinger, and just try to make a film with that. Why steal info from 3 books, rewrite a bunch of the story, and just poop this out for a cheap shot at true Dark Tower fans. Stephen King has lost his mind. He was on board with this, promoted this, signed off on this.

• Mar 01, 2020

We just watched this on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Not sure what all the poor ratings are about. Idris and Matthew are charismatic and talented as always, the teen actor was really good too. Interesting story, good effects and lots of Easter Eggs to look for. A fun movie.

• Feb 18, 2020

Unquestionably a zero star movie. Irredeemable except perhaps by its mercifully short running time. Ugly, stupid and boring. Paycheques all round idiots.