The Death of Stalin Reviews

• Mar 23, 2020

The most unfunny comedy I’ve ever seen. Horrible in every way. The plot is convoluted which makes it extremely confusing and none of the jokes landed. It was boring! Extremely boring. I didn’t even finish it. Halfway through, I stopped this film because I was confused, bored, and tired of watching it. I usually do not stop movies because I want to give an honest review after watching the whole thing, but I just couldn’t get through it. Way too boring and confusing. Only good thing I noticed was the cinematography. That’s about it. Horrible. Do not recommend it at all.

• Mar 11, 2020

The Death of Stalin is both well constructed and very funny, boasting an involved and often complex plot that ultimately helps us understand what happens when leaders wrestle for power rather than people.

• Mar 07, 2020

So hilariously good.

So hilariously good.

• Mar 04, 2020

Hilarious and educational. Laughed out loud numerous times.

Hilarious and educational. Laughed out loud numerous times.

• Mar 02, 2020

Has the world gone mad? How did this movie get so many good reviews and get listed on multiple websites as the Funniest movie of the year? There wasn't one humorous scene and I was eager to see an aging Buscemi playing a Russian politican. Steve, over here, remember when you put lipstick on in Billy Maddison and crossed Billy's name off your list? (CLASSIC!!!!! Go back to that kind of comedy) This Movie is fodder for elite socialite parties where Muffy and Brad boast how delightful a flick "Death of Stalin" was as well to do people "in the know" quip "pip pip, old chap" and the onlookers giggle with delight into their Tom Collins... Oh I can hear them now, "you just don't get it, it's too over your head, the comedy is too smart for you" huh? what? I actually laughed more watching Legends of the Fall then this travesty. Do not waste your time on this unfunny Russian themed bog wash. If the Shawshank Redemption is on your top Comedies list then you will really enjoy this fun romp! Muffy just take your top off. Ugh.... bye.

• Feb 17, 2020

actually pretty genius

actually pretty genius

• Feb 13, 2020

This is completely predicated on personal preference but I found this movie a bit tedious to get through. As a political science AND history major in college, I still found the humor either too on-the-nose or not very funny at all. I think the acting was wonderful and it's always great to see Steve Buscemi get some well-deserved screentime, but the film as a whole failed to entertain me. When I watch a well-crafted political satire, like 'Dr. Strangelove,' I have a few expectations that just weren't met in The Death of Stalin. There were times and scenes where I found myself engrossed in the story, but those were few and far between. The story lacked the magnetic energy that's required for a political satire, which detracts heavily from the positive elements of the film. Overall, the film was passable but I suppose the 'high-brow' humor is too much for the non-Russian history buff.

• Feb 10, 2020

I love dark comedies. This is not a dark comedy. This is a parody of events painted in a grotesque and insensitive manner without humor. I don't understand how this was so highly rated. Except perhaps due to the actors which for some reason agreed to participate in this horrible film. What is the point of this film? To rip on Russians? To rip on socialism? Cool. Could have been done better.

• Feb 06, 2020

A gentle and quiet masterpiece. Biting satire and political commentary reimagined with some of the finest British and American comedy actors and directed with an easy eye, a temperate but tight pace and set within some blinding sets and under some lush photography. The fear, the fear, it seems, when written this way, is absolutely hilarious. The absurdity is palpable and toe curling. It's history re-lensed.

• Feb 04, 2020

One of the best black comedies out there. Cutting edge dialogues, amazing performances from a unique cast and a theatrical direction combine a masterpiece in which the lunacy of a true totalitarian state that successfully adapted the horrors of the communist ideology gave to the writers the best platform to work on.