The Devil's Violinist Reviews

• Sep 06, 2020

Message: classical artists were just like rock stars. Only Amadeus made this point with more intrigue, curiosity and complexity than this movie could even imagine. The devil motif is somehow both too veiled and too blunt, wasting an unmotivated Jared Harris, who all but twirls his own mustache. The musical performances are quite cool, but far too rare; if you're gonna hire a real violinist, maybe ask him to do more playing and less dramatic emoting.

• Apr 19, 2020

spellbinding, very charismatic David Garrett played the part of Paganini from his soul.

• Jan 25, 2019

Itâ(TM)s painful to watch almost 2 hours of such poor acting skills from the main actor... David Garret should focus on his musical career and let the acting to the ones who can actually do it. It's obvious that he cared more for his â?Â?physical appearence than the characterâ(TM)s psychological struggles... It's a pity, Paganiniâ(TM)s story is so interesting, but the whole film failed to portray a serious picture of him.

• Jan 08, 2019

The music is obviously great... It's David Garrett playing Paganini. However, the acting may bring up your most recent meal.

• Jul 05, 2018

(SPOILER ALERT) This movie was enjoyable to watch, mostly because David Garrett's playing is so rivetingly good and evokes so much emotion. He conveys more of the character's inner turmoil in his playing than in his speaking. Every time he spoke, I was a little jarred by how little his voice and acting convey of passionate playing. It was probably for the best that he didn't have that many lines of dialogue. The other major downfall of the movie was the lack of development in the relationship btw Paganini and Charlotte. From their interactions, I would only expect her to be an intriguing challenge to him at best, not the love that he would spend the rest of his life pining after. And from her side of things, she went from hating his guts to being one of his adoring groupees after watching him play. She lost the strength of character that made her likable in the first place. Finally, the circumstances surrounding their fallout was very contrived. Even in his intoxicated state, I have a hard time believing that he could be fooled into thinking that 40 year old woman was really Charlotte. Furthermore, Charlotte knew of his reputation of promiscuity before she found him with that woman, so none of it should have been a surprising to her. Nonetheless, I was still saddened by the ending because it is so reminiscent of the end of so many of our gifted artists.

• May 19, 2017

Awful story line, miserable directing, and awkward acting. Nonetheless, I want to give 2 stars for the beautiful musical scenes.

• Dec 25, 2016

These ratings are ridiculously low. The stage duet with Andrea Deck and David Garrett - two amazing talents doing their own performances - is worth the price of a cineplex movie ticket. And the story, a biopic, undoubtably manipulated with composite elements, is interestingly realized, especially the incarnation of any demons from which Paganini might have suffered, along with genius. Bravo.

• Sep 19, 2016

Not having heard of the story of Paganini before I was a little confused on some parts, but the movie was still entertaining. I stayed up an hour longer than I wanted to watching this on Netflix, so I have to give it a high rating be cause it kept my attention.

• Aug 16, 2016

Buena historia pero con un guion y una forma de desarrollarla muy deficiente

Buena historia pero con un guion y una forma de desarrollarla muy deficiente

• Mar 28, 2016

Excellent movie- for those of us unfamiliar with Paganini this is a great representation of his life, music, and impact on violin performances. Even if it's not too authentic, David Garrett's performance is fun to watch. :) He's actually playing the music in the movie...