The Dictator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dictator Reviews

May 10, 2017
Classic from the 2010s, great in most aspects, aside from Anna Faris' annoying extreme-left-wing character.
The film's humour itself is quite well set, but nowhere near the other gems from Baron Cohen's career.
April 21, 2017
I thought it was hilarious! I found this movie funnier than both Borat and Bruno. His comedy style reminds me of early Woody Allen, although much lewder.
½ March 14, 2017
I laughed a bit, but not too much.
½ March 6, 2017
I like all of Sacha Baron Cohen movies. They crack me up with their weird sense of humor and slapstick comedy. Worth a watch if you like him.
February 25, 2017
This movie was exactly what it was supposed to be. While not briliant, it has plenty of funny to keep moving forward. It hits many timeless international relations themes.
½ February 24, 2017
I still don't know why I gave this one a watch.
February 23, 2017
Meh. Not his best, but not awful.
½ February 13, 2017
,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦h,
January 30, 2017
Ridiculous as you would expect and thankfully not real. After watching this, Trump isn't so bad...but that's not saying much and I could be jinxing it! LOL
January 15, 2017
The Dictator begins with clever moments that make you laugh, then there are moments go on for too long. The best moments are between Sacha Baron Cohen and Jason Mantzoukas who have great chemistry.
January 15, 2017
120616, 170115: This film was Aladeen. It made me laugh Aladeen. Aladeen LOL moments. Ha! Long live Admiral General Doctor Aladeen, Supreme Leader Aladeen. Long live Wadiya!
January 11, 2017
The best of it's kind.
January 10, 2017
It just maked me laugh.
January 8, 2017
Definitely the weakest out of the three but that does not mean it doesn't have any funny moments or is not a good time to watch.
December 24, 2016
Sacha Baron Cohen proves he is a great comedian who can make us (or at least myself) laugh non-stop and hard, and I applaud him for that since comedy is the hardest genre to master in the film industry, but still The Dictator is tedious, repetitive pro-Israeli propaganda that tries to make sense out of a bizarre storyline about New Yorkers getting a taste of brown Middle Eastern people, especially Aladeen himself, drinking piss, homosexual kisses, working a job to clean semen out of laptops and losing a cell phone inside a woman's vagina.
December 4, 2016
Ridiculously funny!!!!
½ October 23, 2016
LOL THIS LOOKS FUNNY ASS HELL..my thoughts from the trailers...buut noooo..it has funny moments but overall it was just stupid
October 17, 2016
There is no denying that Sacha Baron Cohen is an immense talent and the fact that he attended Cambridge is a testament to his intelligence which, when combined with his comedic prowess, makes him a dangerous talent. With that, and the previews of The Dictator, I prepared for an amusing couple of hours while simultaneously trying to block out the stain that was Bruno.

Sadly, The Dictator was such a disappointment that I struggled to finish it. The plot was pass, the jokes cheesy and it was mostly about shocking the audience. You can't help but wonder how an icon such as Sir Ben Kingsley would've signed up to be in such a farce! Then again, I guess you would have to ask the numerous cameos the same. Yes, there were moments where I did laugh and some of the jokes were witty but they were few and far between. In fact at one moment when the racist bodyguard, played by John C. Riley, is about to murder Cohen's character at the start, I actually wished he did so we could be done with the movie!

Perhaps one needed to be stoned to appreciate the humour or maybe I just didn't get it. If you're a fan of the Scary Movie franchise and Bruno, perhaps The Dictator is right up your alley.
September 20, 2016
Funniest of all Sacha Baren Cohen's movies by a longshot.
August 23, 2016
Though racist, uneven and with a pretty dumb plot. Sacha Baron Cohen achieves a performance over a quite amusing and dark script that gave me and my personal circle some of the biggest laughs we ever had over a movie.