The Dictator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dictator Reviews

½ October 23, 2016
LOL THIS LOOKS FUNNY ASS HELL..my thoughts from the trailers...buut noooo..it has funny moments but overall it was just stupid
October 17, 2016
There is no denying that Sacha Baron Cohen is an immense talent and the fact that he attended Cambridge is a testament to his intelligence which, when combined with his comedic prowess, makes him a dangerous talent. With that, and the previews of The Dictator, I prepared for an amusing couple of hours while simultaneously trying to block out the stain that was Bruno.

Sadly, The Dictator was such a disappointment that I struggled to finish it. The plot was passť, the jokes cheesy and it was mostly about shocking the audience. You can't help but wonder how an icon such as Sir Ben Kingsley would've signed up to be in such a farce! Then again, I guess you would have to ask the numerous cameos the same. Yes, there were moments where I did laugh and some of the jokes were witty but they were few and far between. In fact at one moment when the racist bodyguard, played by John C. Riley, is about to murder Cohen's character at the start, I actually wished he did so we could be done with the movie!

Perhaps one needed to be stoned to appreciate the humour or maybe I just didn't get it. If you're a fan of the Scary Movie franchise and Bruno, perhaps The Dictator is right up your alley.
September 20, 2016
Funniest of all Sacha Baren Cohen's movies by a longshot.
August 23, 2016
Though racist, uneven and with a pretty dumb plot. Sacha Baron Cohen achieves a performance over a quite amusing and dark script that gave me and my personal circle some of the biggest laughs we ever had over a movie.
August 13, 2016
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
August 8, 2016
It offers great humor even while it gets lost in telling a stable plot that can keep interest just in order to trivialize the main character's dirty deeds and details (just to imitate real-life dictators).
July 29, 2016
Controversially funny and as foul-mouthed as ever (that's our Sacha Baron Cohen), The Dictator is that rare political comedy that is filmed in such a way that makes it impossible to resist (unless you don't like movies that have to do with politics though it's more slapstick than focusing entirely on politics).
½ July 23, 2016
Una commedia demenziale e piuttosto stupida che con i suoi toni provocatori porta sicuramente qualche risata, ma nel complesso non lascia il segno.
July 14, 2016
Yeah some parts fell flat but some were hilarious.
July 1, 2016
The Dictator is hilarious. This movie has tons of laughs and is very good. This is the best Sacha Baron Cohen movie yet. I would suggest this movie.
½ June 29, 2016
so funny i was rotl!!!!
June 29, 2016
Funny Movie overall, but it's a movie you can only watch one time; gets boring afterwards.
June 29, 2016
this movie is sooooo funny
½ June 29, 2016
no better than original mix
June 29, 2016
very funny and impressiv acting
June 29, 2016
I get it: americans are stupid and racist, there is no democracy and the world is shitty. Baron Cohen hammers this with the subtlety of a Jackhammer on crack. The film has its fun moments, which are then spoiled when they decide they have to explain every joke right after they say it, even if said joke is being said for the third time.
Example: The what is your name bit. He gives three or for times a name lifted from a sign from a restaurant. They show you the signs when entering the restaurant. He says the name (e.g. Employees Mustwashhands) and then they close up in on the sign. Then they do the same with other three signs. This kind of "milking the overexplained joke" is done again and again through all the film. So I'm pretty sure that the actual joke of The Dictator is Sacha Baron Cohen calling the viewer an idiot wile getting paid to do so.
Anna Faris is dreadful here and Kingsley is obviously there for a quick, effortless buck. Asif, though in short part is amusing.
Not worth the time.
Just not very funny.
½ June 14, 2016
Dictator funny but not enough to cover running time
April 26, 2016
Ummmm... So-so. Not Borat level comedy for sure.
½ April 22, 2016
Surprisingly nice! The humor is very good, and the facts that it clearly demonstrates how a dictator never knows how to love himself, and the rich life of having gold lamborghinis every day.