The Fencer (Miekkailija) Reviews

• Apr 29, 2018

another masterpiece from director Klaus Härö (Letters to Father Jacob, Mother of Mine.). Here is a true story of an estonian fencer during the soviet occupation (stalin era). Story of love, faith, commitment, and courage - in a quiet way.

• Sep 17, 2017

An inspiring story based on the life of Estonian fencer Endel Nelis. Well acted and a validation of hope in the darkest of times.

• Sep 14, 2017

We have seen this movie before, but I am a sucker for "mysterious teacher with a hidden past teaches his students to see" flicks.

• Sep 03, 2017

Not every film needs to hit you upside the head to be enjoyed. I wasn't aware The Fencer was fact-based until the end, but I enjoyed its quiet telling of the tale.

• Jul 23, 2017

Wow ! A foil fencing movie? Its about time we get a movie about this dynamic sport.

• Jul 16, 2017

At its core, it's another inspirational young underdog sports movie, but the surface is very polished with tense historical context, precise cinematography, and a great cast.

• Jul 06, 2017

Saw this movie at a film festival about 2 years ago. Has a similar vibe as the movie Hoosiers but more intense because of ever looming threat of the secret police

• Apr 26, 2017

Came across by chance, really well crafted film. Thourghly enjoyed it.

Came across by chance, really well crafted film. Thourghly enjoyed it.

• Dec 13, 2016

Well made and entertaining, if a tad predictable at times - 'School of Rock with swords', as David Clack puts it in Time Out, is right on the money. It is saved by good performances - the children in particular are a treat, the novelty of seeing an Estonian film and the overall story which is intriguing throughout.

• Dec 13, 2016

i wanna fence like lil Marta! 'nuff said :)

i wanna fence like lil Marta! 'nuff said :)