The Five-Year Engagement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Five-Year Engagement Reviews

March 30, 2018
Enjoyable romp with some funny bits. Worth a watch.
½ January 13, 2018
you should do what you feel is right..

The Five-Year Engagement

There are few scattered but good ideas and they are depicted with all the conviction but these kind of movies work on actors and it is quite clear that weren't able to pull it off.
December 30, 2017
Not bad, I quite enjoyed it. I won't watch it over and over again but I thought the characters were relatable and the story felt real as we could see a couple go through the ups and down of long term relationship and having one person sacrificing for the other.
½ July 30, 2017
Seriously funny movie that for some reason people didn't find funny. For those of you, you are idiots. The change that Siegel goes through is hilarious, and who doesn't love Super Bunny. I don't get it why people didn't like this, but this movie is great.
½ July 6, 2017
A relatively unique romantic comedy that's light on comedy and heavier on the drama. The appeal comes from the fantastic casting, as Segel, Blunt, Brie and Pratt work wonderfully together. It goes a bit too long, but that's one of a few complaints.
April 20, 2017
The Five-Year Engagement is directed and co-written by Nicholas Stoller, and it stars Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, Chris Pratt, and Alison Brie in a comedy about a couple that just got engaged and want to get married, however situations start to arise up from work and college that puts the engagement on hold. I remember this being the first romantic film that I've seen, and it was my favorite romantic movie at the time, until Her was out and that still remains to be up there. Since I'm a fan of Nicholas Stoller and Jason Segel as writers from films like Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Muppets, I can't wait to go back to this movie, and it holds up for the most part that is. Jason Segel is very likable in this and did a good job of co-writing it with the director. Emily Blunt is having a lot of fun, which I haven't seen her so relaxed in a long time, and they have great chemistry together. There are a lot of funny moments, and there are some adorable moments between the main characters, especially Chris Pratt and Alison Brie who are having a lot of fun together and they got a lot of laughs out of me. With the overlong stuff, I sort of agree with it as there are some scenes that could've been cut out, even if they were funny. There's also a line between comedy and drama, and I sort of understand where they're coming from with not having much of a balance, but the drama is very effective enough, even if it's awkward to watch because you know a lot about the characters, and it feels like you're in there with them while they argue, even if it's interesting to watch. The Five-Year Engagement is a great film that is not quite as good as Saving Sarah Marshall, but it's funny enough that the director and Jason Segel work very well together to create good material.
½ February 3, 2017
Enough funny to make up for it being way too long and not really knowing what its own point was. Great cast.
December 4, 2016
To be fair, "The Five-Year Engagement" is brought by a thoughtful cast and is quite genuine to be honest, however those "five years" really felt like five years would have, and that is unfortunate because it makes for a tedious time rather than a fun time to watch.
½ December 2, 2016
Utter garbage. The film actually ended about 30 minutes in, but when on for over two hours. The leads had no chemistry, you couldn't for a moment believe that either of these two morons could dress themselves, much less have any success as university students. One of top five worst movies I've ever seen....
½ September 23, 2016
It's long and self indulgent but the cast more than make up for it's faults.
September 16, 2016
Great romantic-ish movie...funny at times, a little sad at times.
½ September 2, 2016
It starts well and Blunt and Segal have great chemistry. However, you'll struggle to get a laugh after the first 10 minutes. It's extremely disappointing and surprisingly sexist.
½ August 7, 2016
This was definitely better than I had expected, but I'm still glad I didn't pay money to go and see it in a theater. Some good jokes, definitely, but also too long and towards the end, went a little bit too far (e.g. the deli sex scene and the frostbite injury). The role was not much of a stretch for Jason Segel at this point, while I felt Alison Brie's accent work was goofy, even though I like both of those actors. Chris Pratt either didn't have to act or just played himself, whichever way you see it, which is just as well. And Emily Blunt - well, she's all right but I just can't ever seem to get very invested in her characters. Basically, this film made me laugh a couple of times, groan with disgust a couple of times, and should have been 15-20 minutes shorter. Okay for TV or airplane viewing.
August 2, 2016
Ive seen this, but I cant remember a single thing from it, so I guess thats worth 2 stars.
July 1, 2016
The other couples in the movie were funnier
May 15, 2016
way too long but it had some drop dead funny parts in it
April 25, 2016
Loved Segel and Emily Blunt!
March 1, 2016
for a romantic comedy, its hilarious
February 15, 2016
Jason Segel makes great film.