The Heat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Heat Reviews

September 20, 2017
Mellisa McCarthy has been one of my favorite stars with her recent lead roles in Identity Theft, Spy, and The Boss. Hilarious female leads are always great to see.

This begining of the movie was pretty weak and corny. They are trying to establish Sandra as a cocky and smart federal agent but that scene seems so lazy. It's not believable plus (spoiler) she's wrong about the Red Falls Killer which she uses to prop up her intelligence in that scene. It also seems a bit political because she's the only female officer and all the other agents apparently became agents out pf highschool.

Once you gey through the first scene it really develops into a good story line. Mellisa makes her first appearance kicking a married guys a$$ for soliciting a prostitue.

When her and Sandra first clash together, Sandra really fits into the role of what her character is suppose to be. Humbling her down to show the humor of her "sad life".

Overall its a very funny movie. I've watched it a few times already. One of my favorite scenes is when Mellissa is looking captains balls and then he devuldges his age to Sandra claiming his 5 year old calls him grandpa. I laugh at that everytime.
September 14, 2017
Melissa McCarthy kills me. And you just know half of what she says is ad-libbed.
August 21, 2017
This was not as funny as I had hoped for, it had more cursing and uncomfortable moments between the main characters than anything. Still, I find that I like these two ladies on screen together. I would like to see them in something else.
½ August 21, 2017
7/10 Very light and quite entertaining. Simple comedy.
August 20, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) It s summer time, Greg, and that means it s time to experience The Heat.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) True enough. It also means we no longer have to look at the ubiquitous trailer.

SCOTT: Exactly. The film introduces us to FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn (Sandra Bullock), who is highly competent but also a giant pain in the backside to her colleagues. Ashburn is driven to be promoted but is told by her boss (Demian Bichir) that her promotion depends on her capturing a Russian drug lord operating in Boston. When she arrives in Boston, she interrogates one of the drug lord s underlings but severely clashes with a Boston cop, Shannon Mullins (Melissa McCarthy), who had captured him earlier.

GREG: Mullins, it turns out, has problems with her family who are peeved at her for locking up her own brother - to keep him off the streets. Ashburn is so by-the-book and self-centered that she not only won t ask for help, but doesn t even know when she needs it. Before you know it this odd couple must work together to expose and diffuse crime lord Larkin before Mullins brother is killed.

SCOTT: Greg, thanks to this film s annoying trailer, I had very low expectations for both this film and for Melissa McCarthy. In the trailer, McCarthy s character, Mullins, comes across a vulgar bully with a penchant for throwing out very unfunny one-liners. In the movie, we do see this side of Mullins but thankfully we also see much more, and it is good. The Heat won me over with two excellent performances by Bullock and McCarthy and with a storyline that very effectively mixes humor with a tale about a wonderful, developing friendship. The film starts out with two extremely contrasting personalities that butt heads repeatedly, and these differences cause each woman to underestimate and misunderstand the other. They soon earn each other s respect and develop a heartfelt sisterly love for each other.

GREG: I think I saw a different picture, Scott. Bullock has played this role before in 2000 s Miss Congeniality. But that was an excellent film full of wit and with something to say. The Heat gives Bullock nothing to work with except a very basic outline of a character which, to her credit, she works as far as she can. McCarthy was a pleasant surprise. She starts out as a bull in china shop but in several places displays a range of emotion that impressed me. She becomes protective of her younger brother. She s the dutiful daughter. She s Bullock s mentor to the world of Boston s back streets. All credit goes to Ms. McCarthy, however, and not the screenwriter who filled her mouth with a stream of filth. The dialog and situations weren t all that interesting and we re left to sit idly by as we watch her hard at work to create a silk purse from a sow s ear.

SCOTT: Sow s ear? Greg, you underestimate how uncommon it is to see two women play buddy cops in the movies. Bullock and McCarthy enter rare territory for women, a unique opportunity, and they hit a grand slam. Bullock s character, Ashburn, is the central hero in the film, and we witness her character undergo considerable growth. She starts out completely friendless and unable to connect with people, and this social ineptness is holding her back professionally. Mullins mentors her, loosens her up, and helps her realize her full potential. Beneath all the hilarity, this is a rather cool hero journey.

GREG: We re agreed on the talents of these fine actors. But the story was a classic buddy cop plot. One cop a straight shooter, the other a mess. There are no surprises here. In fact, I dare say that there was not much that made this film different from any male-based buddy cop film - except for the spanks scene we saw in the trailers. Almost everything was predictable. We know there has to be a mole in the department. The only question was which of the annoying DEA agents would it be? We know that the boss has to constantly be on Agent Ashburn s back. We know that there has to be a bonding moment where the two misfits share their innermost foibles. Everything played out like clockwork. I almost didn t have to be there to witness it. Heck, the plot is so well-known that in improv circles we have a game called Buddy Cop where we create such a show in real time. There was nothing original here.

SCOTT: I guess we ll just have to agree to disagree, Greg. I didn t find the story to be overly predictable at all. I found myself chuckling at the men actors showcase their talents. The Heat is an extremely funny and enjoyable film about two unlikely friends who help each other grow and evolve as both human beings and law enforcement officers. There are far too many F-bombs in this movie for my tastes, and at times McCarthy s character s outrageous behavior exceeds the bounds of credibility, but overall this is one of the best female buddy cop movies ever made. I award The Heat 4 Reels out of 5. Both heroes underwent a meaningful life-changing transformation, especially the character of Ashburn, and for that I award the film 4 Heroes out of 5 as well. Movie: Hero:

GREG: As you wish, Scott. I was bored and spent most of my time rolling my eyes at lame attempts at humor. I recommend viewers spend their money renting an old Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop, or Miss Congeniality DVD. For a hackneyed plot that offered little more over what s been done before I give The Heat 2 Reels out of 5. For a classic buddy hero story that we ve seen a hundred times before I award 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:
½ August 13, 2017
Put Bullock and McCarthy together and you have one very funny movie and its the chemistry between them that makes it what is is :)
½ August 7, 2017
If I could put no star I would. The bigger one is so shit. Not funny or even amusing. Watched first 20 min and started to die inside. What total shite! Iv never reviewed anything before so you can see how this affected me.
½ August 6, 2017
Wait...you can make a movie with female leads that isn't a rom com? Yep. Wake up studios!
July 24, 2017
It was funny and emotional
½ June 30, 2017
Run of the mill and too over the top.
½ June 21, 2017
If you haven't seen this, you must! Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are funny as hell!
June 21, 2017
Don't remember that i laughed so much in a movie ! Sandra Bullock and Melissa were both amazing. Hilarious movie ! :D
½ May 22, 2017
It definitely had it's funny parts. Entertaining for what it is. Nothing I'd go see twice.
March 27, 2017
These two female actors combine their talents in this hilarious buddy cop comedy. It contains many laugh out loud moments.
½ March 6, 2017
Pure garbage, should never have been done
February 27, 2017
A hilarious adult film; my only complain is that it is pretty gory and bloody. Otherwise it is perfect. :)
February 7, 2017
Formulaic as they come, but hey, I got my yucks.
January 26, 2017
Sandra Bullock es la agente Sarah Ashburn, quien es asignada a una misiÚn compleja ante un grupo de narcos. Allž conocerŠ a su compaŮera de la policža de Boston, Shannon Mullins (Melissa McCarthy). El viejo truco de la pareja dispareja, una, Ashburn, muy formal, cuadriculada, ržgida, polžticamente correcta, y solitaria que deberŗ aprender a trabajar con una policža carente de mŤtodos, de modales, mucho mŗs social. Sin embargo mostrarŠn que pueden trabajar juntas y resolver casi cualquier caso y casi sin complicaciones
January 15, 2017
I enjoyed this a lot better on this rewatch. McCarthy is hilarious especially her verbal spats with the Albino and a text-book twitch off Bullock.
January 7, 2017
Predictable and poorly written. McCarthy and Bullock save the film from being a complete disaster.