The Holiday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Holiday Reviews

January 18, 2018
Fun date night movie
December 26, 2017
Chick flicks are extremely hard to rate. Are you looking for realism? No. Are you looking for romance and perhaps some comedy? Yes. The Holiday delivers on the latter. It's sweet and it leaves you with the romantic end. We don't know what becomes of the couples, and it's ok. Most women can't relate to one or both of the female leads, whether it's unrequited love or workaholic "I'm too busy for this crap" love life. My one complaint is casting jack Black. You can't really see him as an attractive object for affection, although Kate Winslett pulls it off.
December 22, 2017
My all-time favorite December holiday "feel good" movie.
December 21, 2017
As chick flicks go, it's not bad. The leading men are all pretty ugh. I mean seriously, Jack Black looks and behaves like a demented cabbage patch kid all through this. The scene at the video store was cringe able. I have trouble picturing any woman being attracted to those looks and his honestly weird behavior. Ditto sleazy Jude Law whose character turns out to have two kids. Wow what a deal for beautiful, rich Amanda. I did like Kate Winslet's Iris, and the nice story with her and the old man next door. The English town looks beautiful too, and her little cottage.
The story gets a bit convenient right at the end and the logistics I can't even imagine, but it's all happy music and fade out by then, so I don't expect we are expected to think how the hell these relationships would ever work out.
Nice little story and a few laughs. Cameron Diaz is good also, I miss seeing her in comedies.
½ December 11, 2017
The stars are appealing, but Nancy Myers' romcom is overlong and predictable.
December 9, 2017
Great music, poetic language, self actualization this not Your typical Christmas movie. 'The Holiday' is a great film and these reviews don't do it justice. This is one of the few films I can watch over and over again!
½ November 30, 2017
The romances of Christmas. So this is about two women who are unhappy with their personal lives outside of work (Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet). One lives in England and one lives in Hollywood, so when one responds to the other's online listing, they agree to swap homes for a couple of weeks around the holiday season and get well deserved breaks. They may not be looking for new love, but new love may be looking for them. Now I will be honest: the only real reason I watched this was because my wife had a hankering for Nancy Meyers and wanted to get into the holiday spirit. This was released two years before I obsessively started watching and reviewing movies, so until now, there really hasn't been a big reason for me to watch a 2+ hour chick flick from over a decade ago. That said, I actually enjoyed this more often than not, and I was never at any point bored with it. The thing about this is that the romance angle actually works for this story. There is good chemistry between Jude Law and Cameron Diaz, and I liked that the romance isn't forced in the Winslet/Jack Black plot line. In fact, it is almost an afterthought, as her main story involves her encouraging a relic of Hollywood's past (as played by the great Eli Wallach) to be able to attend a lifetime achievement ceremony, which was an angle I really enjoyed. While I did appreciate that, it is impossible to deny that there are parts to this that totally play to a woman's fantasy of what an ideal romance is. Jude Law is Dreamy McDreamerson in this, so much that I believe almost every member of the audience will be swooning over him, and I am even talking about the straight male audience as well. I ended up having a far better time with this than I expected, and it handles its duel story lines in a way that you never grow restless with either plot. The runtime is intimidating, but you never really feel the length too badly, as it keeps it light throughout. The Holiday has got charm and smiles, and is ultimately sweet at its core. Bottom line: you could do far worse if you get roped into watching a romantic comedy.
October 12, 2017
Omg why hadn?t I heard of this movie. So my wife and I are up late and found this movie and geezus it was great! Definitely I?m my top 100. Don?t miss this one. Totally unexpected and I still can?t believe I never heard of it.
September 25, 2017
It is very perfect, respectful to the audience and not offensive like the movies of today.
September 11, 2017
Nancy Myers again delivers in another good film for middle-aged moms
August 27, 2017
Cheesy but cute - would recommend
½ July 31, 2017
A funny and entertaining Christmas themed romantic comedy.
½ May 7, 2017
So sweet, but the reality isn't so...
March 21, 2017
My opinion---

The Holiday, is a lovely romantic comedy by Nancy Meyers "What Women
Want and The New Trainee" among other things, she loves romantic cinema
and this is reflected in the quality of her films, proof almost all her
films are focused on The subject with happiness, and The Holiday is in
this vein, romantic, a nice little story and every time she has chosen
very good actors as in this film, with two super duos: Cameron Díaz /
Jude Law and Kate Winslet / Jack Black; I can say that I found Cameron
Diaz perfect for me one of his best role as far as Jack Black he has an
on-screen presence always noticed, I love this actor. The soundtrack of
this great music master of movies that is Hans Zimmer is also very
pleasant. In the end this film is very well done and the romances are
beautiful, a film where you do not stress, a film to discover because
it is very good in its kind.
March 20, 2017
I thought 'Love Actually' was the worst film ever made. This almost tops it, but is definately the most boring and pointless film ever made.
The characters are shallow, the dialogue repetative and bland, and nothing funny happens in what is suppossed to be a rom-com.
The hugely blatant problem that presents itself to the four characters, which is continually addressed but never resolved, is the geographical difficulty to their relationships. How do they plan on making their long distance relationships work? They don't know that's for certain, and the way Law and Diaz seem to ease-out their predicament is to say "I love you" over and over again.
Oh, and I find it worrying that Diaz is so desperate that on her first night in an isolated house in the middle of a foreign country, she'll welcome a drunken stranger (claiming to be the brother of the house owner) in and immediately have sex with him. This has to be a sign of our times. (P.S. do drunken single fathers carry condoms around with them at all times, or did the ditzy american lass have a few left-over from her flight? The director seems to find it hard to tie-up these loose ends)
½ February 13, 2017
Kate Winslet and Jack Black are charming and their story works well. The side story with Eli Wallach provides some depth and he and his buddies are captivating. Jude Law is charming. The one reason I merely like this movie instead of loving it is Cameron Diaz. She just didn't seem right for the role and didn't bring any depth to it.
½ January 16, 2017
some bits are good... jack black, why?
January 6, 2017
I was riveted by this movie. Cheering for the characters especially Jude Law and Cameron Diaz's characters. The ending had me crying. Loved it.
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch