The Hummingbird Project Reviews

• 6d ago

Enjoyable fictional story about building a fibre optic cable line between Kansas and New York.

• Nov 02, 2019

After all the time spent on the competition involved in data transfer I was disappointed that there was not a brief statement at the end of the film that explained who was winning the race, had won it, or if it was still an issue. Clearly our heroes lost the race but who or what was the current state of the art.

• Oct 28, 2019

Interesting movie with good acting. The story could have gone a bit deeper but overall I was entertained.

• Oct 24, 2019

Very good psychological thriller meets drama. Some things in the story are a bit predictable, primarily due to the nature of sociopathy and greed, but others were unexpected, even touching. While there's a bit of cursing at times, there's neither nudity/sexual situations, nor graphic violence/gore, but the movie kept me 'on the edge' for much of the film, mostly due to effective acting and direction that relayed tension, fear, and desperation in line with the plot. When the credits roll, you may find yourself reviewing your own goals and priorities in life.

• Oct 20, 2019

An eccentric premise perhaps but an utterly engaging film. From the cold beating heart of the financial markets emerges a top dollar entertainment that has less to do with money and more about the time wasted in trying to secure it. Beautifully acted and shot it hums along at a good pace and makes it's point with a touching denouement.

• Oct 19, 2019

Hardly a thriller. Didn't care for any of the characters. Didn't care if they were successful or not

• Sep 28, 2019

The Hummingbird Project is an unusual and original film. It is fascinating to watch even if it doesn't nail it totally. It's a high concept film, one that concerns itself with two cousins who are trying to scheme their way to make a killing on the stock market. Their idea is to build a direct cross country tunnel that transmit information ahead of the stock market allowing them to make money on the idea. A lot of it went over my head but I did the enjoy the scheming and perseverance involved. Eisenberg and Skarsgard are excellent in the lead roles and most of the film works dramatically if not all of it.

• Sep 15, 2019

Not a bad story with a few good acting sequences. Jesse Eisenberg really plays the frenetic businessman/con man really well. Some interesting tech bits but also some emotional humanity too.

• Aug 22, 2019

To me, the premise was preposterous and I can spare little emotion for Wall Street vipers, but there is a lot of fresh and original elements here from writer and director Kim Nguyen (War Witch). Eisenberg is at his frenetic best, Skarsgard is also excellent, as are Hayek and Mando.

• Aug 21, 2019

This was a cross-country in-flight movie. It was sufficiently diverting to pass the time. The acting was ok, the writing was a bit stiff and silly, and the plot was at once overblown and believable--a probably bipolar entrepreneur who will stop at nothing and who exhausts and enthralls everyone around him, borderline con-man who charms money out of myriad investors; "borderline" because he fervently believes his own hype and is able to tap into the part of others that wants to believe too. Scenes near the end cross over into nearly gaffaw-eliciting sentimental treacle--think greedy man who has sudden ethical and moral awakening and ends up saving a farm from a flood by carrying sandbags until he collapses in a heap, heaving with regret from his past actions and elation for having been transformed. Still: parts of the performances are worthwhile. Until watching this film, hadn't realized that Jesse Eisenberg is a genuinely good actor, but he is.