The Spectacular Now Reviews

• Sep 04, 2019

Such a typical high school movie that we've all seen before. However, this is probably the best one of the rest. The climax and ending alone is enough to make up for the cliche story.

• Jul 01, 2019

Long, slow, depressing. Ugh

Long, slow, depressing. Ugh

• Jun 04, 2019

Started as an average teen movie, but turned out to have interesting character development. She's way too perfect for him though.

• May 13, 2019

Really impressive dialogue and behaviors that felt natural to me. The lines don't seem quotable very often and what people say and how they behave is indecisive, awkward, unclear. Bravo to that! Also, I thought the dysfunctional parts of their relationship are partially balanced with a few really functional parts, which makes it also seem true to life. The thing that bothered me was that we didn't get to know Shailene's side of the story. I was also mad and sad that she put up with so much crap, though that seems unfortunately pretty realistic.

• May 06, 2019

An excellent daddy-issues story featuring breezy directing and some excellent performances.

• Mar 21, 2019

Terrible movie. Both actors are so great in other films but fail to provide even slight entertainment in this. Over kill on the theme of teenage angst, poor movie overall

• Mar 20, 2019

Brie Larson was terrible in this film.

Brie Larson was terrible in this film.

• Mar 15, 2019

âThe Spectacular Nowâ? released in 2013 follows Sutter in his senior year of high school as he tries to navigate life after his longtime girlfriend Cassidy dumps him. The film made me feel sad for Sutter, but I appreciated watching his process of making mistakes and learning from them. The film isnâ(TM)t typical of the tween drama genre, as it is much grittier. It isnâ(TM)t happy go lucky, and it doesnâ(TM)t necessarily have a happy ending. There really isnâ(TM)t anything that I wish they had done differently, as I felt that the film was well done. A scene that I enjoyed watching in terms of writing was when Sutter is with his teacher and his teacher is telling him he doesnâ(TM)t want him to fail. The banter between them is so endearing, and you can tell that the teacher really cares about Sutter and that they have a bond. Directing-wise, I thought that a really charming shot was when Amy was sitting on the back of Sutterâ(TM)s car in her prom dress, waiting for him. Itâ(TM)s a wide shot and you see all the trees in the neighborhood and this big hill at the bottom, as if to indicate the road ahead of them. It was really sweet. An editing sequence that I enjoyed was when Sutter is hungover in bed and realizes that he asked Amy to prom the night before. Thereâ(TM)s a lot of great moments as Sutter goes back through the night in his head and we watch the scenes play out. Acting-wise, I love Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller as Amy and Sutter. Thereâ(TM)s such a cute banter between the two of them throughout the film. I loved the scene where Sutter first comes to Amyâ(TM)s house for tutoring and you can tell how nervous she is and how much she likes him already, and heâ(TM)s humoring her but doesnâ(TM)t reciprocate. Itâ(TM)s really intriguing. Regarding the cinematography in the film, I loved the shot when Sutter firsts meets Amy and the sun is beaming in the background and you can slowly make out her face and she comes into focus. It really puts you into Sutterâ(TM)s perspective. I thought that the film did a great job with the sound design. The scenes moved in and out between the ambient noise and the background music in a really fluid way. There was a scene with Sutter and Amy when they were in the park at night and it goes from hearing the ambient noise right into the background music and it was as if we were getting sucked into their world with them.

• Mar 13, 2019

A wonderful coming-of-age film!

A wonderful coming-of-age film!

• Feb 26, 2019