The Square Reviews

• Feb 15, 2018

very good robbery caper film.

very good robbery caper film.

• Oct 22, 2017

Australia produces tough and tense thrillers, this one is no exception. The story is familiar but executed very good thanks to careful direction with great attention to small details. The plot has a lot of twists and unexpected turns which make it an entertaining feast in terms of the genre.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 07, 2017

The direction is not flawless, with the camera constantly going out of focus, but this essential film remains an inspiring testament to the power of protests and the voice of the people, especially in times when rebellions ought to come up everywhere against abusive regimes.

• Nov 15, 2015

An old fashioned Murphy's law tale whose contrived plots points reek a mile away.

• Sep 13, 2015

Salarakkaat, rahalaukku ja täydellinen suunnitelma. Mikä voisi mennä pieleen? Kaikki. Tietenkin. Asiaankuuluvan fatalistinen aussi-noir toistaa suunnilleen kaikki hyvän noir-tarinan konventiot, mutta tekee sen tuoreesti ja sujuvasti. Genretietoisuuden oppiaineen läksyt on luettu hyvin.

• Jul 11, 2015

Early check it tomorrow, so finding this Australian gem on a Saturday night. . awesome. If you like the Coen brothers style noir you can't do much better.

• Jul 08, 2015

Fantastic story and acting. Loaded with twists and turns. Watch it!

Fantastic story and acting. Loaded with twists and turns. Watch it!

• Jan 24, 2015

I really liked the first half, very tense and involving. But the Edgertons clearly don't know how to raise stakes without invoking an absurd amount of (accidental) death and destruction. What logical human being read this script and came to the conclusion that the things this main character causes to happen are even remotely believable? It's entirely possible that the tragic ending will make you laugh out of disbelief, and that's really sad because it's an otherwise well-made movie.

• Sep 29, 2014

The Square is more likely reminds me of Take Shelter but in a other way around. The story is about this guy Yale a constructor and a family guy, having an affair on this Carla and there you go. The first part of the story is a problem itself, though I've seen this kind of film before, I'm thinking it could have better deliverance, a better ending which it could have been satisfying, it just lacks charisma. A very good thriller flick to watch anyways.

• Jan 30, 2014

Noujaim brings her cameras and considerable intelligence directly into the youth-led revolution in Egypt which is centered around the occupation of Tahrir Square. While we all experienced many of these scenes on TV and the Internet, she layers the documentation of several years of struggle with the stories of a number of young activists. She has earned her share of political criticism for oversimplification, naivete, and idealizing the glamour of youthful idealism, and especially her depiction of the mass appeal of The Muslim Brotherhood. Nevertheless, this is a document for the ages, to which we will turn when we want to feel what happened, what it was like to be young, Egyptian, and revolutionary in 2011 and 2012.