The Sweeney - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sweeney Reviews

December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
July 30, 2016
My reason for watching it disappeared halfway through, and therafter it quickly became a chore. Needed more humour, more colour (it may as well have been in black and white, given the monochrome look) and more zazz in the action scenes. Maybe they should have set it in the '70s or something - not a skivvy in sight.
December 26, 2015
Loud yet forgettable.
August 10, 2015
Plenty of action in this film. Very enjoyable. At first when I saw this film, The Sweeney were gang members, however I have since learned well today hahaha, that they are an elite Police Force. Jack(Winstone) and George(Drew) and co are called into action. I didn't get the plot at first. So that's a negative. The Opening scene is a robbery. So I thought they were the robbers, but it so happens that they are an Elite Police Force as I said earlier. Then they are then told that there's to be a big hiest in a "Non-traditional high street bank". One member of the police force is killed and hence a battle ensues. Jack is stripped of his Police Badge, and sent to prison. Its up to sexy George to break him out or at the very least to prove his innocence. So a great movie, however plot very lost.

So my guess is that you'd have to have seen the TV Series. hahaha. So overall enjoyed it emmenesley. Very good. Highly recommended. Loyalty is a key player in the film.
July 29, 2015
Interesting reboot, actually quite entertaining and as gritty as the series was, literally a modernized Regan and Carter.
July 13, 2015
The film had a movie for TV vibe which is appropriate considering the original material. Loosely based on the TV series of the same name it tells the story of the Flying Squad in London headed by Ray WInston a man stuck in the past and having to deal with political correctness and a new way of doing police work. No where near as good as the tv series but I think fans of the original will appreciate the effort.
½ June 22, 2015
GUARANTEE: No professional police work was depicted during the filming of this movie. The time for this sort of thing has come. And gone. Lots of action and macho posturing. No discernable rational behavior on the part of either the police or the criminals. It's always pleasant to see Hayley Atwell, though. Half a star included for her.
June 10, 2015
Wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The fact ray was having sex in the film with a younger woman was so cringey. There was no real plot. Ray's hard act didn't come off well. Ben drew's acting was ridged and boring.The ending was rushed. The only good bits was the odd surprise killing.
½ June 7, 2015
The Sweeney is a English crime, action, drama that has a few exciting chase scenes and a great cast but a unoriginal flat story that has many problems. At times it can be boring, this is a film I would only watch once.
½ April 21, 2015
I've never cared for the work of Nick Love and this film does nothing to reverse that feeling. Its sadly a standard cop and robbers flick loaded down with cliches and pub tough man bravado. It has some aspirations of being the British 'Heat', the Trafalgar Square shoot out being the key indicator but the whole thing just fizzles out into nothingness.
½ March 6, 2015
It's nothing like the 70's television series, so it's best not to view it in that manner. Ray Winstone looks good in this, but it's a very bland crime thriller in the main.
February 15, 2015
This was a very interesting British cop movie about the Sweeney Flying Squad.
Ray Winstone, Plan B and Hayley Atwell were all very good in their respective roles.
A very good story and keeps you very involved right until the end.
January 31, 2015
Makes me embarrassed to be British the makers of this should be sued by the creators of the original TV series and film spin offs for dragging the great concept of the Sweeney down to the complete opposite of of what the original was.
As for Ray Winstone he should know better he should have played the villain, how old was the bloke playing Carter he looked like a kid to me, but that might be my age.
They should have re made it set in the seventies like "life on Mars "
Well they had a good pedigree to work with, let's hope someone else has a go
Ray how about a sequel to "Sexy beast" you excelled in that.
½ January 30, 2015
A great lead performance from Ray Winstone brings this up a peg or two but a tired plot and an uninspiring script are glaringly obvious. Full review later.
January 24, 2015
A truly good, gritty, tense movie with an excellent cast and story line that has you gripped right to the very end. A brilliant British movie in my opinion!
January 18, 2015
I saw a lot of negative press on this, basically because Ray Winstone isn't John Thaw, but I think the update has worked a treat. Good film. Plenty of action and general entertainment.
January 18, 2015
Reading through the professional reviews of this film, the two adjectives I would pick-out as most apposite in describing this film are anachronistic and absurd. It is funny to recall just how much more naive we were in the 1970s. I suppose, even then, we knew this type of thing wasn?t actually very realistic, but we didn?t necessarily find it quite as absurd as it seems now. Can you imagine what would happen if any genuine police operation tore through the centre of London, discharging fire-arms in all directions through crowds of ordinary people? Major news coverage, questions in parliament, demands for public enquiries, the fallout would rumble on for months, even years. Even when Regan and Carter decide to take on the criminals away from the general public ? any person involved in genuine security operations would cringe in embarrassment at the naivety of the portrayed operation. In the real world, if Regan and Carter had not been slung out of the police force first, the news story would be about two officers who came a serious cropper, killed by their own breathtaking incompetence when they decided to take on a couple of dangerous criminal holed up on a boat without any back-up. Any genuine police operation to apprehend two armed criminals holed up on a boat would involve a significant number of personnel. Okay, if you were to compare this film with your average Bond film, the amount of suspension of disbelief required is relatively small, but at least Bond films don?t pretend to be anything other than ridiculous male fantasy.

In truth, the original 1970s television series on which this film is based had a similar tendency to stretch the bounds of credibility, but it did have one thing absent from this film that afforded it some right to the claim of ?gritty realism?. The thing that the original TV series had, that even at the time marked it out as very different from any of the plethora of contemporary TV ?Cop? shows was an underlying mood of melancholy. In John Thaw?s portrayal of Regan in particular was a sense of the heavy price his job exacted upon him, and I?m not talking about physical injury or physical harm to those dear to him. Yes, he was tough and unconventional but effective, but Thaw?s Regan was not a happy soul at peace with himself. The TV series did seek to portray the way in which Regan was troubled by the experiences he lived, maybe even troubled by the methods he found himself using. Yes, a TV series affords more time for such subtleties, but the TV series at least had this one aspect that lent it some feel of ?realism?. This film is devoid of any such sense.
January 17, 2015
poor,very poor.plan b needs acting lessons.
½ December 27, 2014
Un peu lent à démarrer. Sinon le cast est intéressant, c'est bien produit, bien réalisé (mais sans plus). C'est quand même un peu en deça des très bonnes productions anglaises récentes.
December 13, 2014