The Walker Reviews

• Aug 08, 2015

Woody Harrelson is fun to watch but the flick itself was just so no fun.

Woody Harrelson is fun to watch but the flick itself was just so no fun.

• Nov 02, 2013

another winner from writer/director paul schrader

another winner from writer/director paul schrader

• Oct 11, 2013

Upon repeat viewings, one of Schrader's most tender, best looking, best acted and least compellingly written story of the inner torment of American male transformation from a happily shallow and passive erudite to a pained fully feeling mature human being.

• Oct 01, 2012

Like great literature, it leaves the viewer pondering about the human condition. I liked it a lot!

• May 13, 2012

Good solid movie with an excellent cast and a good acting job by Woody Harrelson.

• Melvin W Super Reviewer
    Jan 19, 2012

Carter Page III: I have had some illusions shattered... I thought we weren't an aggressor nation. I thought there was a separation between church and state. Hell, I even thought that the people elected the president.  "Everyone loves a good scandal" The Walker is an example of great performances in search of a good movie. The whole time I was watching this film, I was thinking, this should be an amazing movie. Woody Harrelson and Kristin Scott Thomas both gave extraordinary performances. The film looked great and had an appeal to it that should have made me love it. But it never managed to suck me in. I was left feeling less than satisfied by the way Schrader managed the tempo and scandal. Schrader had some interesting ideas, but never managed to execute them to their fullest potential. Woody Harrelson plays Carter Page III, a gay escort who spends time with the rich women of D.C. His job is to keep them company, sometimes by playing cards with them. He drives them around , tells them how good they look, and talks to them about everything. One day he is driving Lynn Lockner  to where her lover is awaiting her. When she arrives she comes back out telling Carter that the man is dead. Carter decides to cover for her since this would ruin her and her husband's life, and tells the police that he found the man. This puts him as suspect number one, and he soon finds himself knee deep in a scandal. I preferred the last thirty minutes of the film to the first hour, fifteen. The first part of the movie is so dull and at times had me restless. The last part did start to pull me in again, but by that time it was really too late. The Walker had a lot potential, and I did enjoy the performances and the sophisticated sets, but Schrader could have had a masterpiece. Instead it's just a decent little dramatic scandal.

• Jan 16, 2012

Directed by one of Hollywood's greatest screenwriters, Paul Schrader's presence on the project explains why he was able to attract such a talented cast, but it doesn't explain why the film contains large stretches of time that can only be called boring.

• Stephen E Super Reviewer
    Jan 01, 2012

Paul Schrader is a filmmaker whose films require strong acting in order for them to work, as they are often dialogue-heavy. He doesn't rely as much on actions or visual effects as much as he does on words, so a good cast is an absolute necessity. That's one of the reasons why "The Walker" isn't all that great. The acting often seems cold and detached, especially from Lily Tomlin, who I found to be extremely monotonous. No one seems to be as involved as they should be. Really, the only good performance here comes from Woody Harrelson. He's basically the only reason to keep watching. He creates a character so unlike anything he's done before that we're immediately interested, and he does a great job at it. Other than his performance, "The Walker" isn't anything better than average. The writing's really not even all that great either, and that's surprising for Paul Schrader, who I usually find incredibly talented. He gives us a plot, but slightly obscures it. We know what's happening, but not as well as we should, and we continuously hear about Page's past, but Schrader never really goes any more in-depth with it. The pacing isn't anything to complain about, but I won't say that I was "excited" by what was happening.

• Dec 24, 2011

loved the subtle political themes/jabs at the current administration. woody and the gals are fun to watch, but the tension needed to ramp up a few notches.

• Dec 17, 2011

A surprisingly dull and uninteresting movie from Schrader. Even a very good cast with all of them giving solid performances can't save this story. I liked the idea of a man being close to these wives of very powerful men. And when the murder plot starts everything unravels. But the story just kinda floats along with nothing really interesting or exciting happening.