The White Buffalo Reviews

• Apr 08, 2018

A mythic movie (not in fact) in which the White Buffalo is rarely seen and that magnified the impact of it as a Monster. The movies suggests a sort of personal mystic journey into facing and slaying our fears.

• Jan 04, 2017

Pretty awesome western with a touch of horror element in there, has Bronson as Wild Bill hunting a legendary killer Buffalo. Like Captain Ahab this thing haunts him. Aside from some wonky animatronics at times, it was pretty damn effective. Had lots of fun.

• Apr 13, 2015

Atypical Western is filled with mood and crackling dialogue that keeps you coming back for another listen. Bronson leads a list of Western stalwarts in a spooky hunt for the titular white buffalo (designed by Carlo Rambaldi) that is part Western, part horror movie, with some potent psychological undertones. Bronson turns in a stellar turn as the driven Wild Bill Hickok, with able support from Jack Warden. John Barry's score adds plenty of atmosphere. The movie's weird mystical vibe may turn off most general Western fans, but for those looking for a little something different, this movie is worth checking out.

• Jan 26, 2015

Loved this movie as a kid...it scared me :)

Loved this movie as a kid...it scared me :)

• Jan 05, 2015

Bronson for Bronson's sake......Charles is really the only real reason to watch this film and even then barely.

• Sep 02, 2013

A strange, mythical and murky film--Revisionist, different western with mixed results!!

• Jul 24, 2013

I have very vague memories of having seen this movie when I was quite a bit younger. If I remember correctly I was not thrilled by the movie then since I was expecting a shot-them-up western but it has received somewhat of a cult status by some people so I thought maybe I would appreciate it more now. Well the short answer to that is unfortunately no I did not really. Probably for different reasons but still I was not impressed by this movie. The blurb calls it a "western version of JAWS". That it is not. It is nowhere near the quality of JAWS in any aspect whether we are talking about script, acting or special effects. The western part of the movie is fairly okay as long as the white buffalo is not present. As soon as the white buffalo enters the scene it just becomes silly. The special effects is quite poor even for a 1977 movie. The story is also somewhat lacking. Bill is having these very realistic dreams so he goes hunting for this white buffalo. Really? I could think of loads of reasons for why he would go hunting for a white buffalo that would be more credible than that. Crazy Horse's part of the story and his reasons for going after the white buffalo is much more credible for instance. The parts where Charles Bronson is allowed to play his usual western, shoot-them-up, tuff guy are not too bad. Some of them, like the scenes in the saloon about halfway through the movie, are even good. As soon as the white buffalo is brought in however, the movie goes down the drain. The buffalo is not scary in the least due to the poor special effects. Its movements are a joke. It sounds like a bloody fog horn. It is just bad. This is, unfortunately, simply a bad move. Thanks to some decent scenes splattered throughout the movie I give it four out of ten...barely.

• Jul 18, 2013

More a white elephant than a white buffalo picture.

More a white elephant than a white buffalo picture.

• Jul 17, 2013

This film is itching to be remade given the story is not that bad, but the improvements can easily be made as the let-down here is the very mechanically moving white buffalo which Charles Bronson sets out to kill, and the heavy use of a studio instead of actual 'western' locations is a poor (but cheap) choice by the director.

• May 16, 2013

An epic saga of two legends of the wild west, Wild Bill Hickock and Chief Crazy Horse, who reluctantly join forces to hunt the mythical white buffalo. Hickock (Charles Bronson) is a man driven by hatred and revenge while Crazy Horse (Will Sampson) is motivated by devotion and the love of his daughter. Eventually both men must accept the harsh truth that the real enemy is neither the buffalo nor the other man... also stars Jack Warden, Kim Novak, Clint Walker, Stuart Whitman, John Carradine, Cara Williams and Shay Duffin. directed by J. Lee Thompson.