They Live Reviews

• Oct 14, 2020

Quite one of the worst films I have forced myself to watch, after reading so many positive reviews. Atrocious acting from the lead, ridiculous and unbelievable shoot-em up action, unconvincing and cheesy dialogue, poor music, lame effects. Everything about this film is, well, crap!! Do yourself a favour and don't waste your time like I did.

• Sep 25, 2020

Good plot supported by dodgy execution.

Good plot supported by dodgy execution.

• Sep 11, 2020

I remembered liking this as a kid and finally watched it for a second time some thirty years later. The story seemed clunky and awkward, and most sadly, Roddy Piper's acting skills were so-so at best. It was a cool concept that was poorly presented. Once the credits rolled, I was left feeling that the movie was okay. More than anything, I felt bitter at something not living up to the memories my youth and I wished I had left the past in the past.

• Sep 04, 2020

They Live has some fun moments and smart social commentary. Unfortunately though the lower budget can't help but be painfully obvious at times, and the acting by it's Pro-wrestler lead is goofy and laughable. As a somewhat entertaining B-movie it mostly works, but for me it was a far cry from Carpenter's better works (Halloween, The Thing)

• Aug 29, 2020

Political sci fi horror, great constituent parts; jumbled whole. Worth seeing for so many reasons, chief of which would be the ridiculously indulgent alleyway slugfest. Jokes aside, the film remains supremely relevant for its blistering dissection of Reagan's ever-present legacy: the blight of neoliberalism.

• Aug 21, 2020

One of my all time favorite campy sci fi movies which has an average guy that can "see" what others can't and has him literally obliterating the "controllers." Favorite line of course is Roddy Piper's.."I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ...and I'm all out of bubblegum ", A classic for sure that still holds up in 2020 and is even more relevant during the worldwide lockdown.

• Jul 18, 2020

"Put on these glasses or start eating that trash can" This film is an 80's B movie classic starring WWF Wrestler Roddy Piper as Nada a drifter who accidently stumbles on an unassuming box of sunglasses that show the world filled with mind controlling advertisments and also show that Aliens are here and controlling us. Also stars the always brilliant Keith David.

• Jul 17, 2020

They Live is one of the rare times that a good, engaging, subversive script with political satire was able to overcome some bad acting and turn itself into a good, watchable movie. The lengthy fight scene was actually kind of hilarious.

• Jul 14, 2020

Cult classic. Some all time great one liners.

Cult classic. Some all time great one liners.

• Jun 30, 2020

Despite its numerous flaws, John Carpenter's They Live succeeds as a strong SF parable on consumerism and subliminal messages in mass media. The typically campy 80s elements are certainly present here – the action is fun, but silly, and the less said about Roddy Piper's horrendous performance, the better – but the aliens themselves are spooky, the score is creepy and the sunglasses scenes are very effective in their suspense.