This Beautiful Fantastic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Beautiful Fantastic Reviews

February 10, 2018
Such a soft beautiful story with heart. The characters are quirky enough to hold interest but also subtle enough not to overwhelm. This movie warms the heart in a slow steady burn and makes the world a little bit brighter for have watched it.
January 16, 2018
When we see our place is really meant to be misplaced to only see the world in what we wish it were orderly as it should be.
½ November 29, 2017
There comes a time for everyone that changes the life forever.

This is a very charming title if you are a fantasy film fan. Good looking film posters too from different languages for different regions. In a way, that was my reason to watch this, but anyway I would have seen it sooner or later being a cinephile. It was not a popular production, though the cast and storyline interested me more. They have categorised it as a modern day fairy-tale. But it was missing something. Something cinematically convince to its viewers. My best guess is 'stylish presentation'. Yep, it was a similar kind to 'Amélie', ' Citizen Dog' et cetera. It was not based on any book, but would have been a better format for such tale.

It was like those titles I mentioned in the previous paragraph which meets 'The Secret Garden'. Sadly, not well explored in its topics. For instance, the romance part was half-boiled. Funnily, I never knew the film trying to achieve that part. Of course it had a boy and a girl. In fact, three boys against one girl. But which path the narration is taking was well preserved till certain length of the film. Surely somewhat it was a fairy-tale, but most probably not like the one you would be anticipating. Especially in the initial stage, it bettered. Only later on it had started to fall back as a casual film.

The tale of a children's novelist. She is an orphan. Now being an adult, living independently in London, while working in a library. The story of her prior to land in the orphanage was a mystery. So basically she aspires to be a children's writer. Yet to write her first book. It was her normal lonely mechanical life, but one stormy day a trouble comes her way. The next door grumpy old man picking her for a verbal fight for several reasons and one of it were the neglected backyard. Now she has got a countdown to fix the issue. So the remaining the narrative focused on her undertaking, while the other side of her life, she's trying to get a close to an inventor.

?Life and nature, it's just waiting to burst out anywhere it can, seeking light, getting on with it.?

Definitely it should have been better. Not for just the cinephiles, but even normal people would feel that way. I don't know this filmmaker, but his direction was good, definitely not the writing skill. I think that's where it had failed mostly. It is still an above average, though if the screenplay, including dialogues was done better, then it would have been another level. Particularly, I did not like the transition between the scenes, events and the characters. One of the lines said at the final stage, after the story had taken a twist was poorly penned. That was the godfather of all the clichés, should have avoided at any cost.

By the way the actors were good. From Jessica Brown to Tom Wilkinson and other two did their respective roles finely. The synopsis says it is about an author, but the film explored different way. The entire film given preference to gardening. It took phases and were decent too. But at final stage it takes a twist by giving a convincing reason. But if that's what the whole story was relied on to surprise its viewer, then that's did not do its job as expected. Overall, the writing should have been improved to give the film a better chance to do well with the film goers.

Nonetheless, it is a watchable film. Especially I think women, family audience could enjoy it better. I would say the character Bella carried it all the way, despite Alfie jumped into the main storyline strongly in a mid way. The basic story was good enough. Bella is being a loner all her life, how suddenly everything has changed around her was the purpose of the film. Jessica Brown was a perfect choice for the role. She looked more beautiful than ever. Watch it for her, for the cast. Only a few people would feel they had seen a great film. It's just a good British film.

November 18, 2017
This is a nice surprise. It is a bit quirky, but I find the story charming and the characters endearing. It is delightful. The only thing I don't like is its unflattering and stereotypical depiction if librarians. The rest is great, so this can be forgiven.
October 8, 2017
This little charmer sneaks-up on you and steals the heart - and creates the impression Jessica B. Findlay can play anything well. Additionally, the cinematography is superb, some of the best seen - a cameraman who is among the few who really knows composition for a 2.35:1 (scope) screen. And he does it in small spaces, not with wide open vistas. Amazing. This film is not for the Marvel crowd probably; it's like "Chocolat" with a British accent & much more color. And what a great title. Bravo! | - Norm de Guerre
September 8, 2017
A big mushy beautiful metaphor.
July 10, 2017
Loved this movie! Great quirky characters and a charming story.
½ July 8, 2017
Quite endearing..Nicely done.
July 3, 2017
Beautiful and inspiring.
June 29, 2017
Loved this sweet movie
½ June 29, 2017
Think of this film as a cross between an English Amalie and The Secret Garden. Satisfying- whimsical- touching- the story of a shy girl, a grumpy old man, a wise young Irishman, and a quirky inventor all surrounding an overgrown garden.
June 24, 2017
Breathtaking. If you feel like a misfit, or a little wounded .... this will make you want to blossom
June 24, 2017
A lovely movie of misfits learning to magically grow together. I only wish it was longer!
June 24, 2017
A whimsical story whose quirky characters made you wish the movie lasted longer.
½ May 30, 2017
It's so quirky that it is off-putting, but it's good enough to recommend anyway.
May 23, 2017
Grade: B

Rating: PG, 1 hour 32 minutes

In a Nutshell: Garden metaphors about life and friendship grow as this quirky "modern fairy tale" develops in this limited release.

Uplifting theme:
"Today I'm going to make a difference." - Bella Brown (Jessica Brown Findlay)
Everything that matters takes time." - Alfie Stephenson (Tom Wilkinson)

Things I liked:
I loved the magical score throughout the film.
Jessica Brown Findlay does a great job as the odd protagonist who has a Keira Knightly quality about her.
The Nazi librarian, her signs, and her garden name (Bramble) were hilarious, played by Anna Chancellor.
Andrew Scott was entertaining as Vernon.
You're probably going to want to go outside and work in your garden or create one.
Luna was lovely.
I loved the last scene.
Clever, witty dialogue.

Things I didn't like:
So, the title....ummm
As a landlord, I wasn't amused by Bella's lack of interest in taking care of the property she was renting.
As a former employer, I also wasn't amused by how Bella was shocked about being fired after showing up late for work every day.
Pretty predictable.

Funny lines:
"I'm not a religious man, but I believe someone sent her here to test us." - Alfie
"Don't worry, tea is on its way." - Milly (Eileen Davies) Such a British thing to say.
"Slavery was abolished in 1834, just so you know." - Vernon (Andrew Scott)
"This country has been going down the drain ever since." - Alfie
"I was just trying to tidy up a bit." - Bella
"I think that's what Hitler said about Europe." - Alfie
"I'm speechless." - Bella
"If only that were true." - Alfie

Interesting lines:
"You should doubt only a man who changes his story. I only repeat myself in vague hope that one day somebody will actually hear me." - Alfie
"Look! These monkwoods, so beautiful and poisonous they'll kill a man. That's an interesting contradiction, isn't it?" - Alfie

Tips for parents:
Most kids will be pretty bored.
Clean language

April 29, 2017
½ April 1, 2017
My opinion-.

This Beautiful Fantastic is a very nice comedy with the dramatic sides
of: Simon Aboud who knew to master perfectly his realization that I
found very neat. It is a fresh and sensitive comedy with moving human
sides and it still makes a little think of the character "Amélie
Poulain" to another register of course Amélie Poulain being a wonderful
production while here it is a beautiful production. This comedy is
easily seen and the character of Miss Bella Brown is extremely well
interpreted by: Jessica Brown-Findlay, as to the other two actors: Tom
Wilkinson in the role of: Alfie Stephenson and Andrew Scott in the role
of: Vernon And finally Jeremy Irvine as Billy. All these actors render
a very beautiful quality to the movie by their respective talents with
a plus for the delicious Jessica Brown- Findlay. A comedy that I
advise, because it is filled with beautiful feelings.
March 13, 2017
Beautiful film with a great cast. Loved every minute!
½ March 12, 2017
This was such a touching film, I really enjoyed all the performances, it made me laugh and cry! Very memorable!