Top Five Reviews

• May 19, 2021

I saw TOP 5 the other day. Top 5 is a comedy starring Chris Rock as a comedian turned major celebrity and his attempts to reinvent himself and his career with a serious drama that he believes will help him prove to himself and the world that he's not just another funnyman. If you're sitting around thinking to yourself that this summary sounds strangely similar to the plot of Birdman, well you're right! This happens to be yet another example of Hollywood coming up with similar ideas for films at the same time and I know some of you are thinking, "well if this movie is the same as Birdman and this one stars Chris Rock, who's track record in film is far below stellar, then I'll skip it." Well I'll tell you this, you should definitely reconsider because against all odds, for the first time in many years, Chris Rock delivers! From what I understand, Chris Rock took a different approach to making this movie and it really shows. His previous films showed a lot of signs of a movie made by committee with a lot of pulled punches and soft comedy that seemed much less caustic and biting than Rock's standup or anything seen in Rock's 90's sketch comedy in The Chris Rock Show. This movie however, was done with Rock squarely in the driver's seat acting as the writer, director and star and he does a good job in all respects creating a comedy showcase that had me laughing out loud in the theater and overall just out and out thrilled that old school Chris Rock was back and truly better than ever. Perhaps the best thing about the movie is that Rock is not alone in this film. Some pretty big names came out to help carry this movie including Gabrielle Union who plays Rock's fiancé, Rosario Dawson who plays an interviewer trying to get his life story and dozens and dozens of other comedians that drop in here and there to fill out the cast. The comedians really make this movie. Cedric the Entertainer, JB Smoove, Leslie Jones, Tracy Morgan and many other names great and small are here that I can't even begin to tell you about them all and they each do their part to contribute a verse to this kick-ass movie. Another good thing about this movie is the fact that it isn't afraid to tell edgy jokes or show nudity like so many great comedies in the 80s did. Nothing is off limits and nothing is too sacred or taboo to poke fun at. It's comedy with teeth and I loved it from start to finish. If I had to say anything bad about it I would have to say that it does have a bit of a time juggling all the balls it has in the air but by the end, all the loose ends are tied up in a pretty sweet package. On the whole, I really enjoyed this movie and if you're a fan of comedy and stand-up comedians then you'll like this one too. Top Five gets a 4...out of 5.

• Aug 01, 2019

This movie had surprising pathos and soul with some real laugh out loud humor. The performances by Chris Rock, Rosario Dawson, and a host of well placed supporting comedians add dimension and heart to what would otherwise be a generally formulaic romcom. On top of the fun, it's worth a watch just to get the real perspective of the cast as they count off their "Top Five"

• Oct 24, 2018

Chris Rock tried playing an unfunny guy, but fails miserably

Chris Rock tried playing an unfunny guy, but fails miserably

• Jul 12, 2018

In case you didn't already realize how incredibly talented, intelligent, and empathetic Chris Rock's work really is, there is no denying it after seeing him helm the director's chair for the first time. The film is as funny as you would expect, as sharply insightful as you would hope, and more romantic than you would guess. Raising issues of celebrity, dependency, artistry, race, class, the central question here is fidelity-not just to a partner, but to one's own desire and sense of imagined self. And on that front, Rock's late dive into the triple threat of writing/directing/starring feels less like a shift in his ambitions than it does the organic fruition of a brilliant career.

• Jun 01, 2018

This movie wasn’t actually all that funny. It had its moments but didn’t add up. Was dull and went nowhere other than it’s laughs.

• Apr 16, 2018

disappointing for such a big cast with little or no laughs

disappointing for such a big cast with little or no laughs

• Feb 21, 2018

Self involved and uninteresting.

Self involved and uninteresting.

• Feb 19, 2018

I had a good time watching this movie; it was very predictable but I don't think it was meant to be a mysterious movie. It was fun, not that funny; like Chris Rock stand-up funny but it had some moments.

• Feb 16, 2018

I loved this movie. I didn't know what to expect when I saw it and I had low expectations. But so glad I took the time to watch. Chris is hilarious, and the story was cute.

• Jan 13, 2018

just make it a little funnier.. Top Five Chris Rock's hints of amusing perspective towards the details of the world is present in each of its character and is also the reason why Top Five is one of those rare features that has a unique concept, edgy characters, funny dialogues and a twisted love story.