The Trip to Bountiful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Trip to Bountiful Reviews

June 20, 2016
The drama of an old lady trying to go back to her forsaken home town is not groundbreaking storytelling, but Geraldine Page delivers an energetic, charming, heartbreaking and all in all, a remarkable performance that makes the trip worth its while.
March 4, 2015
I wish I could download this. eBay wants at least $59.00 for it. It's a wonderful movie. Geraldine Page gives one of her best if not her best performance. Many of us at one time or another would like to return to a time where we can recapture the joy that slips away when we become dependant in our senior years. Guess I'll have to purchase the remake. Ms. Tyson gives an equally wonderful performance in it. I just wanted both.
½ December 10, 2014
It all ultimately amounts to nothing more than sentimental fluff, occupied by stock characters and sexist female tropes (the kindly, frumpy mother, the nagging bitch of a wife, the angelic, blonde ideal who loves her husband). The script is written in a way that the side-characters do nothing other than allow Geraldine Page a platform to deliver monologue after monologue about the good old days, and while some of these are sweet and have some semblance of poignancy, they don't amount to any kind of growth or revelation because that would go against the film's anti-progress mission statement, and that kind of thing is only entertaining up to a point.
May 30, 2014
This is the best movie ever made by one of the best actresses ever. This is what movies should be today. Steller cast.
May 14, 2014
An enjoyable story about an old bag who decides to leave her unrewarding life to go back to the town where she grew up. The main issue is the fact that the town may no longer exist. Sentimental but sweet.
March 5, 2014
This movie is by far my favorite. The first time I saw it I was just 15 and I understood. I knew that the daughter in law was mean and the son was caught in the middle, but I didn't understand Geraldine Paige's desire to go home. Now that I am older and I have seen it many, many more times I feel her yearning to go home in my heart and in my bones and she makes it so believable and it is heartbreaking. The last line as her, her son and daughter-in-law drive off- is priceless! Finding out it was Geraldine Paige's last movie was a heartbreak as well. I also didn't realize that she was the voice of the madam in The Rescuers. This is a great family movie, a great rainy day movie and you will definitely want to watch it more than once and you'll also want to slap the daughter in law!
January 26, 2014
A poignant and universal
call to come back to a home that is no longer there. exquisitely powerful.
½ July 1, 2013
Like David Lynch's "The Straight Story", this movie is depicting the journey of a determined woman who wishes to return to her homeland. Geraldine Page gives a strong performance here by showing her anxiety and strong will through restless facial expressions and dialogues. Well deserved for her Oscar.
April 6, 2013
Really enjoyed this movie! So moving and beautiful.
March 31, 2013
Se não fosse pela a atuação de Geraldine Page, este longa se tornaria uma experiencia tediosa, com uma velha insuportável incapaz de calar a boca, mas a talentosa atriz, entrega uma atuação sensível, delicada e sofrida, e consegue conquistar o telespectador mesmo sem a ajuda do roteiro, fico feliz em ver que uma idosa atriz como ela, ainda é capaz de salvar um filme de um desastre.
March 8, 2013
Basically a movie about going back to a memory, as an older woman travels back to a here hometown as it becomes clear it's nothing more than a ghost town now.

Her daughter in law can be totally grating, and he son never stands up to her and that can be annoying. But Page is fantastic...acting a young as a child in her scenes. I loved everything once her and De Mornay seem to hook up on the journey for a time.

And the end is some really solid stuff. Going back to old places always yields an avalanche of memories and emotions like that.

Page totally deserved the Oscar!
½ November 17, 2012
Geraldine Page is exquisite!
½ October 1, 2012
I think it would be much better as a stage play.
March 31, 2012
Could watch this film once a week for the rest of my life.
½ July 16, 2011
I just loved this movie. It reminded me of my grandmother, who after more than a decade was finally able to go back home for a visit before she died.
½ March 4, 2011
Such a fine and poignant film!
October 30, 2010
Beautiful performance from the legendary Geraldine Page, who won her only Academy Award for her performance in this film.
September 25, 2010
Three cheers for Geraldine Page! I admired her character's spunk and determination in this movie, and I felt like I was watching my grandmother who passed away when I was 7--something about her mannerisms made me smile with fond memories.