Whatever Works - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Whatever Works Reviews

November 30, 2016
Not one of Woody's better films. On Blu-ray.
November 4, 2016
Odd, aimless but weirdly entertaining. A 65 year old marrying 21 year old!! creepy!!
September 28, 2016
Great film! It's everything you need to know about life and being happy.
½ May 13, 2016
You feel like all the best bits of this film, the neurotic central character, the deadpan humour and slanted world-view all come from Larry David. You feel like all the bad points of this film, the uncomfortable central relationship with a very young girl, the paper thin characterisation of any female characters etc all come from Allen. Someone either put him out of his misery or put him in jail.
May 4, 2016
Another Woody Allen's film full of aimless, slow and absurd storytelling describes an aged misanthropic scientist who picks up a young girl from the streets for one night and after a year or two marries her at her insistence. They have a visit by her mother, who had just been dumped by her husband, but she doesn't take much time for grieving and discovers photography talents she had never suspected, starts living with two men, making all three of them happy. As the girl develops into a flourishing clever young lady, she gets a divorce from the scientist and marries a romantic and a promising lawyer. The scientist meets a woman of his dreams while attempting to commit a suicide. The husband who had dumped the young girl's mother fail to find happiness with the other woman, tries to re-unite with his ex, but finds it more comfortable to marry a man. In other words, in spite of absurdity, everything works out fine for everyone.
February 25, 2016
This is a delightful Woody Allen movie. The main character is an anti-social, depressed, negatively spun quantum physicist and the three women in his life. Although he is supposedly brilliant, an almost Nobel Prize winner, the easiest way he can think of to leave a woman is by jumping out the window. That would work, but his suicide attempts are never successful. He always falls onto something that breaks his fall right at the bottom sort of like the universe sparing him for his next ordeal or wife. Of course he doesn't believe the universe cares enough about him to waste its time plotting against him, or that it could care This is a delightful Woody Allen movie. The main character is an anti-social, depressed, negatively spun quantum physicist and the three women in his life. Although he is supposedly brilliant, an almost Nobel Prize winner, the easiest way he can think of to leave a woman is by jumping out the window. That would work, but his suicide attempts are never successful. He always falls onto something that breaks his fall right at the bottom sort of like the universe sparing him for his next ordeal or wife. Of course he doesn't believe the universe cares enough about him to waste its time plotting against him, or that it could care at all, for someone who doesn't believe in the significance of coincidences, his life is full of them pairing him with women whose views of reality oppose his own.
½ February 23, 2016
grandes e engraçados momentos, mas também alguma humanidade nos seus personagens normalmente disfarçados de arcasmo. Uma "cover" de um filme dee Woody Allen.sem o seu génio e sua genialidade.
½ February 21, 2016
Larry david is the man, decent story
½ January 25, 2016
what a whiner, and very weird....certainly not boring....throws in a few surprises
January 24, 2016
Evan Rachel Woods is wonderful, charming and sweet. Larry David destroys this movie. He is like Woody allen without the charm and good looks. Seriously Larry David is disgusting.
November 21, 2015
Minor Woody Allen. Several laugh-out-loud sequences in the opening half-hour, but it's scuppered by indifferent performances and another implausible 'beautiful young girl has hots for elderly Jewish misanthrope' scenario. Larry David has the Woody Allen role this time, and tends to bark.
½ November 11, 2015
I stumbled across this when channel hopping and thought, how strange! The lead is playing a typical Woody. Allen. character, but isn't Woody Allen! I only watched 10 minutes and I only did that because it was so bad it drew my reluctant interest, like a train wreck.

Clichà (C)d story line, 2D character's and tedious beyond human ability to watch without losing the will to live, perhaps Larry David's character had watched one too many Allen films, hence his suicidal mindset.
November 3, 2015
Larry David may not be the best choice for the role of Woody Allen's alter-ego, but the film's script, written in the 1970s, is a refreshing return to the first half of Allen's career and to his beloved New York after the movies he made in London and Spain.
½ October 29, 2015
Larry David in a Woody Allen sounds awesome on paper but this movie just seems like a lazy parody of a Woody Allen movie. Still, David is great but like in most of Allen's movies, the women were the stand outs. Patricia Clarkson is excellent like always and Evan Rachel Wood was impressive as well. Michael McKean, John Gallagher Jr., and Henry Cavill also were great. There are some funny parts but overall, it's minor Woody Allen
½ October 12, 2015
Larry David plays an intelligent, pessimistic, divorced New York Russian Jew. Though he attempts to avoid much human contact (he has difficulty communicating with those not intellectual piers), he happens upon a lost woman from the South. After reluctantly taking her in off the street, the two fall in love and marry. Their differences (backgrounds, age, intellect, etc) make the marriage uneasy for some of the family, so the family works to try to upset the couple's happiness. Michael McKean and Ed Begley Jr also star.
September 22, 2015
I feel like i have mixed feelings about this film. It's not quite what i expected. I was expecting a comedy but i just didn't find it funny at all. Now i haven't watched Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfield so maybe if you like those shows you would find some humour in this film? I just found it to be a bit depressing and slightly awkward to watch. Don't get me wrong i didn't dislike it, i just probably didn't get the point of it.
The biggest positive of this film for me was Rachel Evan Wood, I think this is the most likable character i have ever seen her play, she was adorable and very beautiful. I couldn't suspend my belief enough to find it believable that she would fall for Larry David...
I thought everyone did a good job acting wise but I felt quite awkward every time Larry David talked to the audience watching the film, it felt quite forced and i think it was meant to be more natural.
Even though i appear to have more negatives than positives about this film, I still found it to be very watchable. If you like very dry humour then you will probably enjoy this film.
September 3, 2015
A kind of cinematic theme and variations on the book of Ecclesiastes, existentialism and hedonistic pragmatism. It tries and partly succeeds to be a funny, ideas film in the classic Woody Allen mould of an older misanthropic smart guy with a younger ditzy girl. The dialogue is zippy and witty but the film's amorality stops being satirical and becomes just straight commentary on how permissive everything has become in today's world. As is seen in the film's poster, the philosophy at its heart is kind of a big shrug. In the face of ultimate despair, you've just got to grab whatever happiness you can. It's a denial of immortality, cosmic justice or God, but at least it tries to say something.
August 30, 2015
I figured this was written by larry david who starred in it, It seemed like his work but it turns out its woody allen's project which makes sense i guess. It was enjoyed.
½ August 11, 2015
A likable movie with an unlikable main character, "Whatever Works" revamps Woody Allen's classic cynical honesty.