Whatever Works - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Whatever Works Reviews

December 9, 2017
#woodyallenretro Podcast Project

Larry David is great as this grumpy old git and has hilarious dialogue throughout.. however the rest of the cast are not written to be as strong against him and we get a very one sided repetitive affair with a good cast and the sometimes usual digs by woody at the slower kind of southern folk but not much else.. sadly we can see why this one has a frowned upon reputation but this is mostly due to the lackluster writing for the supporting characters
November 13, 2017
Whatever Works is hilarious and infinitely wonderful, with some cerebral insight into the mathematics of relationships and hosts a great ensemble of fantastic performances.
November 4, 2017
Larry David is the only reason I watched this film but I soon seen Woody Allens name and realised this was one of many films I hadn't seen. I hold Allens films in high standard and just love the comedy he creates through use of dialogue. This film has hilarious Larry David rants and the dream team of Allen and David fits the comedy moments. You get the sense that Allen created the film for himself in the lead but I think David plays the neurotic lead well. The film has an innocence that you can't ignore, I'm a little shocked at all the mixed reviews. 04-11-2017.
October 23, 2017
Woody Allen has made another creepy movie (ala Manhattan) about a girl having a crush on an old guy. I?m just surprised the pervert gets away with this crap and none of the movie critics express their outrage. Maybe it?s because he?s so powerful in Hollywood. Maybe it?s because so many of the critics are men. Who knows? I just found the whole thing offensive. As if a 21 year old would have a crush on a crotchety guy who?s old enough to be her grandfather. How does this pedophile get away with making a movie like this?
I?m a big fan of Larry David. This movie really made me disappointed in him. Why would he take this role in a creepy movie from a known pedophile like Allen? Didn?t he realize how offensive the premise of this movie is? Is David just another man who dreams of some 21 year old kid wanting him?
July 12, 2017
For some reason, Larry David playing Woody Allen felt like Frankenstein trying to play Dracula.
June 1, 2017
I was afraid that Woody didn't have anymore in him, but this one was plenty good. But then again, Wikipedia tells me he wrote it in the 70s for Zero, but then the poor badass died so he shelved it for thirty years, so still many not.
April 24, 2017
What a dud. poorly written, poorly acted, no chemistry, no heart. Pitiful monologues that illuminate Woody Allen's own sick mind. Plot veers awkwardly close to the reality of Allen's own marriage to a dependent child-bride. first time LD hasn't made me laugh
November 30, 2016
Not one of Woody's better films. On Blu-ray.
November 4, 2016
Odd, aimless but weirdly entertaining. A 65 year old marrying 21 year old!! creepy!!
September 28, 2016
Great film! It's everything you need to know about life and being happy.
½ May 13, 2016
You feel like all the best bits of this film, the neurotic central character, the deadpan humour and slanted world-view all come from Larry David. You feel like all the bad points of this film, the uncomfortable central relationship with a very young girl, the paper thin characterisation of any female characters etc all come from Allen. Someone either put him out of his misery or put him in jail.
May 4, 2016
Another Woody Allen's film full of aimless, slow and absurd storytelling describes an aged misanthropic scientist who picks up a young girl from the streets for one night and after a year or two marries her at her insistence. They have a visit by her mother, who had just been dumped by her husband, but she doesn't take much time for grieving and discovers photography talents she had never suspected, starts living with two men, making all three of them happy. As the girl develops into a flourishing clever young lady, she gets a divorce from the scientist and marries a romantic and a promising lawyer. The scientist meets a woman of his dreams while attempting to commit a suicide. The husband who had dumped the young girl's mother fail to find happiness with the other woman, tries to re-unite with his ex, but finds it more comfortable to marry a man. In other words, in spite of absurdity, everything works out fine for everyone.
February 25, 2016
This is a delightful Woody Allen movie. The main character is an anti-social, depressed, negatively spun quantum physicist and the three women in his life. Although he is supposedly brilliant, an almost Nobel Prize winner, the easiest way he can think of to leave a woman is by jumping out the window. That would work, but his suicide attempts are never successful. He always falls onto something that breaks his fall right at the bottom sort of like the universe sparing him for his next ordeal or wife. Of course he doesn't believe the universe cares enough about him to waste its time plotting against him, or that it could care This is a delightful Woody Allen movie. The main character is an anti-social, depressed, negatively spun quantum physicist and the three women in his life. Although he is supposedly brilliant, an almost Nobel Prize winner, the easiest way he can think of to leave a woman is by jumping out the window. That would work, but his suicide attempts are never successful. He always falls onto something that breaks his fall right at the bottom sort of like the universe sparing him for his next ordeal or wife. Of course he doesn't believe the universe cares enough about him to waste its time plotting against him, or that it could care at all, for someone who doesn't believe in the significance of coincidences, his life is full of them pairing him with women whose views of reality oppose his own.
½ February 23, 2016
grandes e engraçados momentos, mas também alguma humanidade nos seus personagens normalmente disfarçados de arcasmo. Uma "cover" de um filme dee Woody Allen.sem o seu génio e sua genialidade.
½ February 21, 2016
Larry david is the man, decent story
½ January 25, 2016
what a whiner, and very weird....certainly not boring....throws in a few surprises
January 24, 2016
Evan Rachel Woods is wonderful, charming and sweet. Larry David destroys this movie. He is like Woody allen without the charm and good looks. Seriously Larry David is disgusting.
November 21, 2015
Minor Woody Allen. Several laugh-out-loud sequences in the opening half-hour, but it's scuppered by indifferent performances and another implausible 'beautiful young girl has hots for elderly Jewish misanthrope' scenario. Larry David has the Woody Allen role this time, and tends to bark.
½ November 11, 2015
I stumbled across this when channel hopping and thought, how strange! The lead is playing a typical Woody. Allen. character, but isn't Woody Allen! I only watched 10 minutes and I only did that because it was so bad it drew my reluctant interest, like a train wreck.

Clichà (C)d story line, 2D character's and tedious beyond human ability to watch without losing the will to live, perhaps Larry David's character had watched one too many Allen films, hence his suicidal mindset.