White Lies Reviews

• Dec 02, 2015

Starts off with an interesting premise then just goes downhill with annoying scenes

• May 02, 2015

This film is based on a novel by Witi Ihimaera, who also wrote "The Whale Rider." A Maori medicine woman-midwife-herbalist is asked by a Maori servant lady to help her white mistress who is pregnant and "needs" end the pregnancy before her husband arrives back from his trip abroad. This is the framework for this film centered around 3 strong women characters. It is a challenging film. Some of the issues it addresses colonialism, identity loss, and motherhood. The film revolves primarily around three willful women played beautifully by Maori singer Whirimako Black as the Maori medicine woman, Rachel House as the Maori servant woman, and Antonia Prebble as the white mistress.

• Dec 02, 2013

Interesting story with a surprising twist. This movie has probably the longest birthing scene in movie history (that is not a compliment). Unfortunately, this film won't stick with me. It just doesn't feel like it has much of an impact.

• Jul 27, 2013

A beautifully done but harrowing film. Some subtitles. I left the cinema with mixed emotions about the story but was very glad I saw it.