Wind River Reviews

• Jul 29, 2020

A conceptually solid thriller with beautiful landscape shots and good cinematography that suffers from generic characters and predictable subplots. The film feels like a Law and Order: SVU episode in setting up Renner's Lambert, who is tremendously over-capable but psychologically traumatized, and also just so happens to have suffered the loss of a daughter, thus empathizing with the victims of a recent crime. He feels like a loose assembly of jaded protagonist tropes lashed together with snow camo. The film excels at creating tense moments and deserves credit for allowing itself to be driven through a well-paced narrative (long periods of relative calm that punch up the more up-tempo moments) rather than cheap thrills, but when it leans on its characters too hard, it clearly stumbles. It does feel like explaining the circumstances of a crime via flashback before the protagonists themselves discover it robs the audience of immersion, and feels somewhat cheap. (3.5/5)

• Jul 26, 2020

A fantastic crime drama elevated by some stellar performances and disturbing direction from Taylor Sheridan.

• Jul 15, 2020

Wind river can be a hard watch it’s a gruesome movie and at times a slow burn. But the film is extremely well-made. The performances are excellent, the cinematography is top-notch, and the story is intriguing. It’s a very well-made crime drama and should please fans of the genre.

• Jul 02, 2020

A bit sad, gruesome and nerve wracking for me with some uneven camerawork but some great cinematography and chilling moments.

• Jun 22, 2020

Jeremy Renner's performance, albeit even and very measured, is a perfect complement to the action and emotions of the other performers. Movie moves quick and with purpose. The audience likely will have solved the mystery long before the story unfolds, but in a way that's the point. Gets its message across loud and clear, and graphically and shockingly so.

• Jun 20, 2020

I absolutely love this movie. Taylor Sheridan has solidified himself as a top notch writer/director. Also this movie has great music that complements the movie really well. Also what Taylor Sheridan has proven he can make the most of the geography of his movie. He uses Mexico really well in Sicario and HoHW uses New Mexico really well too. The performances from the whole cast is amazing and what happens to Renner seems a bit cliché but they also used it again in the movie and that kind of offset the clichés. The fist half is a bit slow, but not in a bad way. What the movie also does is really make death scary. You come close to some characters and they end up dying. The movie has no boundaries with death which is actually a bit scary. What happens is pretty awful, but the ending gives a lot of closure. In particular Renner and Olsen have great chemistry and complement each other characters really well. I recommend this movie greatly and I will watch Sheridan's next movie. It deserves a 93%

• Jun 18, 2020

Wind River does everything well - great setting, story, execution, ending, and characters.

• Jun 02, 2020

A very well done mystery movie with great acting from Jeremy Renner. This movie is very dark and depressing with little moments of hope. My only flaws were the conventional story and the lack of plot.

• May 24, 2020

I had tears in my eyes, multiple times watching this movie !!!

I had tears in my eyes, multiple times watching this movie !!!

• May 24, 2020

Good plot, great atmosphere and photography, and it also deals with an important issue. Renner nails it, as always.