Women Without Men (Zanan-e bedun-e mardan) Reviews

• Sep 18, 2020

impressive cinematography

impressive cinematography

• Aug 09, 2017

Grim statement on women's lives in Iran.

Grim statement on women's lives in Iran.

• Feb 23, 2015

Sometimes it was just too slow, and definitely too hard on its women.

Sometimes it was just too slow, and definitely too hard on its women.

• Feb 06, 2014

Not the best structured movie I've ever seen... Felt like it was trying to make too many points at the same time. But it was still quite interesting.

• Daniel P Super Reviewer
    Feb 27, 2013

Magic realism works surprisingly well alongside "everyday life" in this drama which focuses on the interweaving of four Iranian women in 1953 - the year of the US/British coup d'etat. Complex but approachable, the film deftly tackles feminist, religious and political themes in an assured evocation of period. Excellent performances from the four lead actors.

• Nov 07, 2012

Well, the imagery was pretty and I am always interested in Middle Eastern culture/history, but, boy oh boy, was I confused...

• Oct 16, 2012

Incredible moving film that I saw a few years back at Sundance. The director brought a unique aesthetic to the film that was risky but ultimately very effective.

• Mar 11, 2012

Some nice visuals but it lacks the novel's exquisite poetic imagery. Overall it was rather lifeless.

• Feb 14, 2012

Women without Men is Beautifully atmospheric, but not as poetic as Parsipur's prose.

• Nov 09, 2011

Un film Iranien qui dà (C)crit si bien la condition de la femme ! De circonstance !!