Deadwood: Season 1 Reviews

• Oct 15, 2019

The first season of Deadwood was a finely crafted period piece, with intense performances from Ian McShane and Timothy Oliphant. There was a scene in one of the later episodes where Ian McShane goes on a long monologue while getting a BJ that was pretty amazing. I also thought Brad Dourif and Robin Weigert were great, even out-acting the leads at some points. There were some moments when things tended to drag, like when they would have dinner or drink coffee, even though I know this is to set a mood and atmosphere, like we're watching everyday life back then, but I hope the next seasons cut down on this.

• Aug 13, 2019

Para ser basada en la vida real es una gran adaptación con unos personajes muy bien definidos y un gran papel de Ian McShane

• Feb 13, 2019

The show started off great, but then slowly got more and more boring (to an extent). It was still a very very good first season, and the premise has so much potential, I just hope they're able to realize that in seasons 2 and 3. The characters are interesting, namely Ian McShane's Al Swearenger. Imo the show neds more violence and conflict, and at a faster pace... the pacing of the first season was bad.

• Jun 09, 2018

ONe of the greatest television sEries to ever grace the airWaves. Stands toe to toe with the wiRe, The americans, and The WeSt wing - or whatever your top tv shows of all tIme may be - this is not to be missed.

• Feb 03, 2018

I really do wish the series lasted more then three years, but then again maybe it would have declined and been a mockery of itself if it had. Set in the town of Deadwood in 1876 where it tells the tale of the town going from open frontier with gold strikes, and how the people living there got along. Fun side note, many of the characters in the series were there in real life (and by default are real people). No, it isn’t a documentary, yes it is full of violence and sex (and let’s be honest, it doesn’t stay too close to the truth either). It starts with following Timothy Olyphant (of Justified fame) as he arrives in town. Then it truly becomes a full ensemble cast with Brad Dourif playing the Doc, Ian McShane playing Al Swearengen, Molly Parker as Alma Garrett and even Keith Carradine as the doomed Wild Bill Hickok. There are a ton of other famous or semi-famous actors and actresses you will see, but there are so many I can’t really list them all. The show is as good as it sounds. The acting is superb. By the third season the actors play off each other with just a word or a motion. There was so much put into each character that you could read what they were thinking and they could sometimes have conversations with each other that were in depth without more then a few words. The filming was good, and the direction as well obviously. I am saddened that so many people have not seen it. I was especially impressed that rape didn’t play a bigger role, after all that is what most westerns are unfortunately built upon. Not saying that some things didn’t happen, but for what the show was (the Sopranos in the old west) it stayed away from that most of the time. The only thing I thought hurt the show was bringing in Powers Boothe and his whole crew. Not that there weren’t good stories, and definitely not because of Mr. Boothe (he is great), but it took away from main characters in the beginning. While I started watching the show for Mr. Olyphant, I ended the show with Ian McShane (Swearengen) as my favorite character. Pros: Great acting, directing, story and sets. Cons: Perhaps too many secondary stories and plots and too many characters by mid-second season. Now to find some more Ian McShane work.

• Jan 02, 2018

For those with an appetite for gritty, complex, historical fiction television, this is perhaps the best series ever made. The main characters are all complex and well-developed. The production values are top-notch. The stories are personal, but often set against a context of broader, 'bigger world' motivations. Excellent, all the way around.

• Oct 07, 2017

Review for all 3 Seasons - Deadwood was not fun to watch as it is based on real place, people, and events and I am too used to the entertaining spaghetti western. The series has its many pluses, first being the superb performance by Ian McShane as Al Swearengen. He was fabulous in his portrayal as a mean bastard who does have a heart. The other's in the ensemble cast were also good at there roles. Authenticity was very much there with the sets, costumes, and props used. The language seemed of the 1800's but the crude mix of Street and Victorian language seemed difficult at times to follow. All dialogs seemed to be made of slangs and sophisticated ancient words(which are meant to be funny and intelligent only if you get the hang of language first). All the major characters were based on real people but were changed and spiced up for television.My favorite character Trixi the whore was made up. The entertaining scenes in the series didn't happen in real life and the boring parts did. The End did seem intense and kept me on the edge waiting for all hell to break loose but in wanting to keep authenticity it was a letdown.

• Aug 09, 2014

Vulgar and poetic, violent and dense, "Deadwood" needed a fourth season.

Vulgar and poetic, violent and dense, "Deadwood" needed a fourth season.

• Aug 04, 2014

Probably the best TV show of all time.

Probably the best TV show of all time.

• Jun 19, 2014

Whether your preference be Sergio Leone, Sam Peckinpah, or John Wayne, fans of westerns are unlikely to be completely prepared for a show like Deadwood. Striving for realism, and drama of the most Shakespearean-caliber, David Milch's western series almost immediately resounded as a masterpiece, and it's really something that hadn't been attempted before or since. Taking viewers into a seedy and lawless frontier town of the 1870s (and using real historical persons and events), the show simply shat on the myth of this time and place being that of great adventure, with grim violence, ugly depictions of whores, and possibly the most colorful use of profanity to ever grace your television screen. Is it 100% accurate? All that really matters is that it feels so. Great casting all around too, especially from Ian McShane, whose Al Sweringen is simply one of the best television villains of all time. Right up there with The Sopranos and The Wire, as one of HBO's very best offerings.