Domina: Season 1 Reviews

• Aug 12, 2021

Acting is solid, but the story is a dull, uninspired riff on Game of Thrones, Deadwood, et al. Which is a shame, because the source material is compelling.

• Aug 07, 2021

If "I, Claudius" is the gold standard, and "Rome" is an updated equivalent, that still leaves plenty of room for lesser known shows that are well executed. Each episode of "Domina" plays like a chess match, only there are multiple, often intertwining factions vying on the board at once, giving each move additional significance. There are flaws, but the political intrigue and solid cast kept my interest well enough throughout the first season.

• Aug 03, 2021

Incepe bine dar nu are suflu

Incepe bine dar nu are suflu

• Aug 01, 2021

I measure all shows about ancient Rome, the emperors, up against... I Claudius. This was nowhere near the quality of that series..... It was a bore......

• Jul 14, 2021

I enjoyed the show. Not stuffy; doesn't take itself too seriously but seems to stick pretty close to the actual history and everyday language of ancient Rome.

• Jul 08, 2021

I'm not really sure why I'm still watching - the fifth episode and it just hasn't gotten any better. The swearing is a complete put-off. It shows a real lack of creativity on the part of the writers. There's no way I will ever believe that language was used all those years ago. And the changing of actors - good way to lose your audience and cause confusion. Not to mention very weak plot lines. The timeline seems off, no strength of characters and lack of continuity in storyline. I had just finished watching Jamestown and that was amazing. This should have all ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Jul 02, 2021

So far I like it. Would be great to get a second season.

So far I like it. Would be great to get a second season.

• Jun 28, 2021

Pretty good show. Looking forward to a second season

Pretty good show. Looking forward to a second season

• Jun 23, 2021

This series is trying to be Game of Thrones, and it certainly has great material to draw on. The scenery, costumes, and atmosphere are good despite the obviously low budget. Unfortunately, what it lacks are strong characters- they are shallow and either good or evil. Any character who is an asshole is also a psychopath, and any character who is good is constantly a victim. This makes the plot predictable and boring. It's also very unhistorical and lazy. The actors are good, but they're wasted with such dull caricatures to perform. The protagonist is the only exception, and then only slightly. Augustus is so important to the plot, but he's written as a sadistic narcissist with no good qualities whatsoever, and thus it's completely unbelievable that he could rise to be perhaps the greatest ruler in the Western world. Overall, poorly-written characters and their lack of development ruin this series and make its other major flaws much more apparent- the uneven plot and the boring preachiness. The story doesn't need to be historically accurate, but again if it's trying to be Game of Thrones, it should have some moral ambiguity and complexity. Instead, there is the "pro-Republic" side (turned into a democracy in the series to make it more sympathetic) that is completely good, and a "pro-selfishness (Imperial)" side that is utterly evil for the sake of power. This ignores the fact that the pro-Imperials were often more sympathetic and helpful to the common people (they were known at the time as the "populares"), and much more supported by them, as the Republic was more of an oligarchy. Again, it's just lazy and boring writing and a waste of the actor's talents and good scenery and set design.

• Jun 19, 2021

Pale shadow of the marvellous "I Claudius", which I re-watched quite recently. Acting pretty variable. The actor playing the young(ish) Gaius looked and sounded totally wrong for the part. Can't put my finger on why I'm finding the series so bland but I really can't engage with the plot and characters despite knowing the story pretty well.. Doubt if I'll make to the end ….