Near Dark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I give this a 86/B+.
September 6, 2017
Nice Work Lance, Mark
½ August 20, 2017
With Romance, Horror, Action and a touch of Western coming together, there's an interesting mix of genres going on, but it's the characters that really sell the film, with Bill Paxton's devilish performance stealing the show as one of a band of rogue vampires. As much as it focuses on the group of night dwellers, it is actually an ode to being human. Granted, it doesn't delve very deep, but it does touch on topics such as self-discovery, love and redemption whilst still delivering enough violence, blood and gore to satisfy fans of the genre. 'Near Dark' has aged very well and is fun, atmospheric and entertaining.
½ July 30, 2017
Bill Paxton was the life force of this film with out him it is hard to imagine this movie being good.
June 4, 2017
I have Netflix shutter screambox vudu and I cannot find this movie anywhere I love lance and own most of everything he has made but cannot get this movie on any of the movie channels I have.
June 3, 2017
Interesting and original vampire movie directed by Kathryn Bigelow. I didn't find it scary or anything but I found it very profound in thought it conveys. And this soundtrack, a bright example of how soundtrack can enhance the movie's meaning, raising it above just a vampire story to some philosophical even metaphysical levels of soul-searching.
June 2, 2017
one of the first new takes on vampire lore dark and gory
March 31, 2017
This poster is kind of a lie and is only to look like a Twilight poster. This movie is pretty brutal and it is great.
March 8, 2017
Near perfect more like. A stunning bit of film making. Great writing, tasteful cinematography, and an incredible cast who all put in brilliant performances.
February 26, 2017
I absolutely love, love, love this film. I watched it twice on its initial run in the cinema, and have subsequently seen it over 40 times.
Kathryn Bigelow did a phenomenal job directing the trio from aliens, and it shows on screen that the actors have history.
I think this is some of Bill Paxtons and Lance Henriksens best work, and i just love watching them be badasses.
The photography is really good.

I can't recommend this movie enough, be aware though that it has quite a bit of gore, so if you are squeamish you migbt want to pass this one up, even though you will be missing out on a true gem.
February 11, 2017
This is the first film from Kathryn Bigelow, it is a vampire/western film that has achieved a cult status. It has a an excellent cast including 3 actors who had just been in James Cameron's "Aliens". Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton are great in this. The film who a stylish look and strong pace. I found it a little dated and didn't love a couple of the supporting actors, but it's definitely worth a watch for fans of the genre.
February 4, 2017
Great vampire film. Henriksen is awesome.
October 12, 2016
Truly a great vampire movie great cast, great script and brilliant director
October 1, 2016
Really, Bill Paxton is the best part of this film (He's at his absolutely whacked out of his mind best here). The bar massacre and the motel shootout make this one worth a watch (Maybe 2 of the best scenes in film imo), but that doesnt detract from the fact that this film doesn't understand how Vampirism works. The first hour or so is pretty fun, but the film completely shits the bed during the last 30 minutes. It veers more-so towards romance, than all-out bat-shit crazy western (which it does have some aspects of). I had high hopes, and for a good while this was going to make it into my favorite horror films list....unfortunately, Bigelow chooses to discard the rules of Vampirism in favor of a lame ending. Very disappointing.
½ September 23, 2016
A vampire western, Near Dark something new for vampires alike
September 18, 2016
great vampire movie with a great cast
September 15, 2016
With the noticeable popularity of movies about teenage vampire romances, I'm surprised this underrated gothic gem from the late 80s hasn't resurfaced.
½ August 31, 2016
This movie is visually engaging and does some interesting things with how to become human again. I found watching Caleb stagger around for the first 20 minutes tedious and the choreography of the Caleb's sister getting out of certain situations seemed like they could have been done better. Bill Paxton was the best part of this movie, along with the bar scene.
½ July 31, 2016
Mindscarringly realistic vampires
May 8, 2016
Won't scare the pants off you, but is definitely a different spin on the vampire tale, perhaps a bit ahead of its time. Good film with a young Bill Paxton in a supporting role made during a time when vampire flicks were somewhat cheesy.