A Night at the Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Night at the Opera Reviews

June 4, 2017
A Night at the Opera(1935)
Typical zany, madcap fun from the brothers Marx. I didn't find this as consistently entertaining as Duck Soup but it still has some memorable gags and slapstick. Highlights include Groucho's crowded cabin en route to NYC and the curtain-ripping finale which is surely only rivalled by Captain Blood himself!
February 4, 2017
Typical zany, madcap fun from the brothers Marx. I didn't find this as consistently entertaining as say, Duck Soup but it still has some memorable gags and slapstick. Highlights include Groucho's crowded cabin en route to NYC and the curtain-ripping finale which is surely only rivalled by Captain Blood himself!
½ November 29, 2016
While it's generally agreed that the quality of the Marx Brothers's output declined once they moved to MGM, the decline was not immediate. This film and "A Day the Races" are two of their strongest films. Some of the seeds of the decline are already present. The MGM films feel like more prestigious bits of work, so some of the wilder, anarchic edge is lost ... but not much yet. MGM always saddled them with a dull romance plot line and terrible songs, and that is in place here. What helps this film and not a film like "The Big Store" is that the comedy is still razor sharp and it compensates a lot for the drippy lead and terrible singing.
November 23, 2016
my gr8 grandfather hit a homerun with this marx brother's classic
September 3, 2016
Classic Marx Brothers! Their hilarious antics makes listening and watching opera much more fun! :D
July 30, 2016
The brilliance of the Marx brothers was that their films always walked a fine line between comedy and musical numbers, keeping the audience entertained whilst providing some genuinely good music. Night at the Opera ticks all the boxes...
June 18, 2016
A Night at the Opera is a very disappointing and overrated movie. It is well acted and it has its funny and inventive moments, but it is for the most part an incredibly tedious, forgettable flick with dull characters, a boring plot and a very disappointing humor. It certainly isn't bad, but it is also far from great and it's without a doubt one of the most overrated films of the decade.
November 21, 2015
This is my favorite one. Really. Now that I have a little more of an appreciation of opera, especially Il Trovatore, I recognize that scene for the masterpiece of comedy that it is. Action is slow to start, but once it does, the boys are brilliant.
October 15, 2015
The Marx Brothers invade the opera houses with their hilarity. As always, the Marx Brothers are great, but the plot actually gets in the way of their magic this time. One of the main components of the story involves a sappy star-crossed couple of opera singers. One of them is an established talent but the other just cannot catch a break to prove his talents. I am highly in favor of a plot with substance and incorporating musical numbers to change the pace, but this time it detracts from the Marx Brothers comedy. The sarcastic and slapstick humor are extremely enjoyable, but things come to a screeching halt with the music numbers. Maybe my attention span was not in full gear, but the continuity is not there. Still for all the shortcomings, there are some iconic scenes. The contract negations and the tiny room with tons of room service people crammed into at one time are sidesplitting. Perhaps the best scene involves Harpo and Chico hiding from an officer in Groucho's room, by shuffling from hiding place to the other. Many consider this the strongest Marx Brother film, but I prefer others to this one.
October 8, 2015
Indeed one of the best Marx brothers movie.
½ September 23, 2015
Considered to be one of the better of the Marx Brothers comedies, this film contains their famous Stateroom scene aboard the boat. Although there are a few too many slower musical moments, this film is still an all time classic comedy. 1001
August 19, 2015
Arguably the best Marx Brothers' film. Many consider Duck Soup to be their finest work, and while that film still holds up, and perhaps is more relevant than A Night at the Opera, I find this one being more enjoyable and engaging. Too many memorable scenes here to mention, but the contract negotiation and the ship room scenes are just classic.
½ August 15, 2015
The first half is amazing, the second half is okay, which results in a very good movie.
August 2, 2015
Another hilarious comedy from the Marx brothers, A Night at the Opera features some undeniably classic scenes as well as smart humor that is lost in modern day comedies.
July 10, 2015
A Night at the Opera is an almost entirely dialogue-driven comedy, granted a very funny and showy one, but an air of unbroken flatness hangs over the film.
June 11, 2015
There are some funny gags here, but the story is pretty lame and it doesn't seem as fresh as the Marx Brothers' 'Duck Soup' - maybe that's because it was the first of their films I saw.
½ May 21, 2015
"Everything reminds me of you... Except you."
½ March 27, 2015
Not my favorite Marx Bros movie and more slow at parts than their others, but it is still a Marx brothers great and has very funny lines.
½ March 13, 2015
Gut-busting humor from the Marx Bros. Each brother takes turn stealing every scene, with the third act showcasing some of the best physical comedy ever.
March 5, 2015
There`s one or two hilarious moments in this zany comedy, but I don`t consider this one of the better Marx brothers films. They have a knack for having large musical or singing parts in the movie, and it feels like they only had them there to pad out the running time. If the movie were more focused than maybe it would have been better.