Silver Streak - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silver Streak Reviews

May 17, 2017
I thought it was an enjoyable and entertaining movie. I liked both the main characters and the story. The movie was also intense at times. The only small negative was I didn't even know what the ending goal for the villain was and that this is not a movie to own.
April 28, 2017
Funny and charming...a bit slow, but I really liked it!
½ March 23, 2017
Solid gags and good chemistry make 'Silver Streak' an interesting movie from start to finish. The only complaint is that there isn't more Richard Pryor.
½ March 20, 2017
While I enjoyed the cops versus robbers(cowboys v Indians) feel of this movie it didn't quite work for me. Maybe because I am used to more CGI/special effects that this movie fell flat for me. The action sequences were good just in comparison to recent movies not very good. That is the problem I find with watching older movies I have a hard time not comparing/putting myself in the time period. I loved Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor's second half of the movie. I enjoyed this movie but I couldn't get into it completely.
½ February 19, 2017
Gene Wilder stars in the action comedy Silver Streak. Wilder is traveling for the first time on a train to Chicago to see his sister's wedding. He hits it off with a young woman Hilly (Jill Clayburgh). As the romance is ready to start he notices a dead man fall from the roof outside his window. She assures him he is seeing things and it's the champagne talking.

The next morning, he does some snooping around and is certain that the man murdered was a Professor Schreiner. He asks around and gets thrown off the train by some henchmen Reace (Richard Kiel). He is able get back on only to uncover the conspiracy and reason for murdering the professor and is certain that Hilly's life is in danger. Altercations with Reace has only thrown off the train yet again. He is now being framed for the murders aboard and is considered to be armed and dangerous. Only with help of the sly thief Grover (Richard Pryor) is he able to get back on yet again and set everything right.

Silver Streak is a decent action comedy. The film flexes more of an action and dramatic element in the first half of the movie. When Pryor gets on the comedy packs on a bit more punch which includes an absurd scene where Wilder dresses up with shoe polish on his face to impersonate a black man. Pryor adds his usual charm to the film. There are a few scenes that don't age as well including the interrogation of the dumb Sheriff Chauncey by Clifton James. It is funny that George keeps getting thrown off the train and has to come up with ways to get back on it. Silver Streak is a good action comedy that helps influence many future ones to come.

-2.19.2017
December 22, 2016
classic comedy from wilder and Pryor. wilder witnesses after murder on a train which puts his own life in danger.
½ October 25, 2016
(2.5 stars)
Less of a comedy than other Wilder/Pryor ventures, practically relies solely on Pryor to inject humour and he doesn't show up until halfway through. Nonetheless its 'murder on a train' premise represents the best written story out of the 3 Wilder/Pryor films I've watched and it probably would have been more of an entertaining adventure if it wasn't for the outdated action and racial jokes.
June 3, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies.
½ April 21, 2016
One of the first R-rated films I saw as a kid was See No Evil, Hear No Evil. But now I finally get a chance to watch the film that started the team-ups of Wilder and Pryor. Part Hitchcock mystery and part buddy movie, Silver Streak turns out to be an entertaining action film (never expected to see Wilder an action star). Everything works together, hitting all the right marks. Only complaint is that it takes an hour before Pryor joins the film. Their time acting together are some of the best moments of the film, especially the bathroom scene.
December 7, 2015
That was NOT "the most hilarious, suspense ride of my life".
September 20, 2015
The first pairing of Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder is a standard one. While looking for a quiet and simple trip on a train, everyman George witnesses a murder while bedding a woman, Hilly (Clayburgh). What ensues is a crazy comic story of a man trying to save a woman's life, with lots of hiccups on the way. Richard Pryor is injected very late into the plot, giving it a jolt of life when the story gets repetitive. Its ends on a rather formulaic note, but there are some good moments here and there.
August 9, 2015
The best thriller comedy of the 1970s.
July 24, 2015
This was a great idea, but it was nonetheless out of place at times and it just didn't fit together, but it was still a good movie from wilder and pryon, but it just didn't work as good as you'd expect, however the atmosphere and intensity were great, with some humor, too.
½ May 13, 2015
A Hitchcockian thriller played as comedy.
½ February 23, 2015
It blends between Hitchcockian thrillers and comedy making it a real popcorn entertainment.
February 9, 2015
Nearly four decades have passed since this popular comedy-adventure first hit the big screen, and the most common complaint I've read is that it hasn't aged well. I don't see how passage of time has anything to do with illogical plotting. Most of the plot revolves around a set of historic documents that would prove the chief villain's guilt. So when said villain successfully destroys these incriminating documents, one would think he'd prefer to take his chances in court rather than, say, engage in a very public, deadly and incriminating gun battle with federal agents. And one would think wrong. Richard Pryor is entertaining while he's on screen, but he doesn't have a good reason for being there other than to offer a distraction from this tedious affair.
November 19, 2014
It may have a rocky start, but it eventually becomes a greatly enjoyable movie. Not to mention, the scene where Gene Wilder is in blackface is hilarious and unforgettable.
June 17, 2014
Okay, but not the best Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor movie, and quite easily that. Main problem is that Richard Pryor only has a supporting role, and only appears in the second half of the movie. Plus, the movie has pretensions of being a mystery-thriller, rather than an out-and-out comedy.

Overall, reasonably entertaining, with flashes of hilarity and periods of dullness and silliness.

The hilarious parts usually involve Richard Pryor, though Gene Wilder has his moments too. Good support from Jill Clayburgh, who provides the romantic interest.

Supporting cast includes Ned Beatty and Patrick McGoohan, both of whom put in decent performances. Richard Kiel is very noticeable as the henchman. His next role was as Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me.
June 3, 2014
It really is the last of the "Average Guy" adventures with Gene Wilder as a timid book proofreader who takes a leisurely train ride from Los Angeles to Chicago then inadvertently gets framed for murder. Tons of comic relief ensue, but the film actually is a thriller at its heart as Wilder struggles to clear his name and save a girl in danger. Richard Pryor and Jill Clayburgh round out an awesome cast while a haunting score by Henry Mancini keeps it all exciting. All aboard!