Mystery Train - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

October 17, 2015
Japanese couple made it ... At least Joe strummer tried to act
Robert B.
½ October 5, 2015
Mystery Train is a fun and funny film. The characters are oddly endearing. The following-along style direction fits great with the storytelling. As with other Jarmusch films, it is hit-or-miss; some bits do not come off but the majority do. Recommended to fans of off-beat comedies, especially if you already enjoyed Down By Law or Stranger Than Paradise.
½ May 22, 2015
In classical Jarmusch artsy style, set in the dusty south-state where there is no hope. Following three very different stories at the same place, all of them with characters sparkling of little hope. The surroundings and the characters become one in this hopeless part of Memphis.
May 22, 2015
This full on Jarmusch. And, it is magical and hopelessly cool.
April 12, 2015
awesome pic one of my favourites
March 19, 2015
First note: if I were from Memphis, I would be somewhat offended by this movie. I have been in the city, I remember it beautiful, I do not remember such a junkyard. But I was very badly offended by the portrait of Rome Jarmusch made in Night on Earth, he is such a man, rude, offensive, unpolite, unpleasant (I have seen some interview to him, a really unpleasant person, for me): he is so, a kind of man I would not like to have within my friends, for sure.
Jim Jarmusch insists in showing an America made of rotten buildings, junkyards, rusty cars ... I wonder: if he see his own country this way, why does he not leave it? The world is so great and full of beautiful places (not Rome, of course, a city that, accordin to Jarmusch, is as rotten and dirty and abandoned as Detroit nowadays, plus where peole have sex with pumpkins, sheep, and on the public street).
That said, I have seen this from a streaming with no subtitles at all: including the Japanese and the (short) Italian dialogs (not a problem for me for Italian, but with Japanese I had some ...): I wonder if it is so in the original, or, for some reason, the subtitles were left out in my copy. Anyhow, it was not difficult to follow the story of the japanese couple, even without understanding one word.
Overall, this is not the best Jarmusch I have seen, and I have seen almost everything. It is not also the worst, not as bad as the last production - the worst being, to my opinion, Only Lovers Left Alive, not counting the hideous Night on Earth - but far, very far, from Down By Law or Dead Man.
There is some funny spot, here and there, but Jarmusch jokes sounds, always, as already heard, old, stale; but I see some critics consider him exilarant: maybe my sense of humor is too poor to resonate with his. Or, more simply, my sense of humor is far from the tipical American one (this is a very well known thing since long: great American comedians never appealed any Italian audience, just to name the first coming to mind, Jerry Lewis, Abbott and Costello, the Marx Brothers).
The music is great, here, from the very beginning. Elvis is quoted all the time, but the opening song, Mystery Train, giving the title to the movie, reminds me Bill Monroe. It was not a song of him, but could have been. The ghost I perceived here was Bill, not Elvis: and this is the reason why I score this movie 3 stars: without this feeling, it were probably one and half, in the best case.
Overall, something to see if you have nothing better to do, but just once in life.
March 2, 2015
great direction, short meaningful dialogue, interesting and creative plot structure and narrative
August 24, 2014
America which everyone is a stranger in.
½ August 20, 2014
Another Art-house Masterpiece from Indy Maverick Jim Jamursch.

The three acts are filled with fascinating individuals that all end up at the same hotel & a strangely linked.

The only common thread is a Mystery Train that is all part of their journey. The quirkiness & charm all three people is undeniable. This is a true classic a real fresh & fun film to watch.
July 14, 2014
"Mystery Train" features three intertwining stories that take place over the course of the same night in Memphis, TN. It's a quite entertaining film from Jim Jarmusch, with a good cast and plenty of humor. The opening story of the Japanese tourists who love Rock & Roll is the best story and quite funny, the second about the Italian women is the weakest of the bunch, but with some decent moments, and the final is the story of three guys who end up on the run from the law...all three stories end up at the same shitty motel. I enjoyed this picture, even if the second two stories failed to live up to the opening story (the last one isn't too bad, its just the second that lags a bit). Anyone who enjoys offbeat humor will probably enjoy this flick.
June 21, 2014
The Asian couple segment is hilarious, but the other vignettes are too dark or depressing for their own good, and the movie doesn't gel as well as it could have. It's just okay.
February 22, 2014
Pulp Fiction is a bad rip off of this film.
½ December 29, 2013
Mystery Train is a film which is a rough amalgam of three stories about three different sets of people and what happens to them during an evening in Memphis. People like to think that the stories are woven together, but that's not really true. They're sort of presented one after another. Other characters may be seen in the background or something along those lines, but there's rarely if ever a repeat of a scene in each of the three stories. This is a film from Jim Jarmusch, so it will be unorthodox, as his films often are. The film's first story has the slowest pace, but it does get you warmed up for the other two stories, which ramp up as they move along. The music and the actors are all great, and the on location photography is real and beautiful. Most probably won't dig it, but I can't help but think that Quentin Tarantino might have been influenced by its style of storytelling. Just a thought. It's great movie, for film and music fans alike.
½ November 26, 2013
Life is a mystery train
September 21, 2013
One of my few dessert island movies. I just love it.
September 2, 2013
Tom Waits is a damn good DJ...
August 22, 2013
I watched this movie because it has Japanese characters in it.
April 28, 2013
Funny, touching and generaly interesting stories of ordinary and not so ordinary people in Memphis, Tennessee. The actors are exceptional. Masatoshi Nagase, Youki Kudoh, Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Joe Strummer are standouts. Precious life lessons by Jim Jarmusch again.
½ April 22, 2013
A steady deep descent into the bowels of unglamorized Americana from the persepective of different foreigners. It's quite an enjoyable and funny movie told in three seemingly unrelated chapters.