Posse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Posse Reviews

April 30, 2016
A very good story filled with action and good actors
May 14, 2015
Just average overall. Thought it had much more potential with the story but I'd say the direction and editing were flawed in too many places to make it an interesting watch
April 8, 2015
T^he script can never catch up to the jumble mess that is the story line.
August 6, 2014
Interesting idea to focus on the forgotten black cowboys of the west but unfortunately Peebles doesn't do this age any justice with this bad embarrassing wannabe mess.

The problem here is Peebles has gone down the silly shoot 'em up route where maybe a more sensible approach could of worked wonders. The other problem is the film is pretty close to B-movie territory with a very average D-list cast and poor looking action sequences. Plus every single western cliche has been thrown in alongside every single modern action flick cliche too, its like a John Woo movie in the wild west.

Its a cliched western of course as you would expect but it all looks slightly cheap with bad editing. Other things spoil its potential such as certain moments where characters use the swear word motherf*cker which I doubt is accurate for the time methinks. Also the way Peebles has clearly tried to make himself look as super cool as possible is cringeworthy. His costume looks like its from a graphic novel of a dark brooding anti-hero whilst everyone else looks relatively accurate for the era. Talk about giving yourself the best role with the best looking duds.

Billy Zane does add some class and laughs into the situation but his character is so stupid. He basically plays a regular out n out villain, with redneck tendencies naturally, who just happens to be wearing civil war era attire. This character could be placed in any action movie in any setting and it wouldn't make any difference, he would still be exactly the same and the film would be exactly the same. He's just a plain villain, he has nothing to do with the era he's placed in other than the fact he's wearing civil war uniform. A good evil turn from Zane sure but the character is such a stereotypical Hollywood bad guy.

Basically Peebles has gone for the slick rock n roll 'Young Guns' approach mixed with silly action movie cliches...but has failed on both counts. A more realistic film could have been a winner as this subject hasn't been touched upon much in Hollywood. Nail in the coffin for me was the quite hideously out of place rap track over the end credits, errr...no.
January 31, 2014
Yes! Yes! This movie is one of the BEST I've EVER SEEN! Black cowboy who never bows to white people! He NEVER bows his head to white people!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie! I can't find it though!!! This movie made me proud to be black. They're may have been a white side kick but the brotha was the boss!! This brotha also shoots a clansman. Five stars just for that!
February 12, 2013
This movie was pure entertainment!!!
December 30, 2012
Directed by Mario Van Peebles, whose directorial debut New Jack City (1991) had proved to be a surprise hit upon release. For his next film, Van Peebles settled for a story which shows a side to the Old West that has seldom been shown on film, but it really happened. It has a good ensemble cast, but it does depend on a lot of 90's attitudes including rap music in places, which does work against it. Told by an old man (Woody Strode), he tells the story of a group of black soldiers led by Jesse Lee (Van Peebles), who in 1898, had been fighting with the 10th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers in the Spanish-American War against Cuba under the lead of the racist Colonel Graham (Billy Zane). While on a mission to steal a cache of Spanish Gold, Graham double crosses them and plans to kill them, but Jesse Lee, along with Little J (Stephen Baldwin), Father Time (Big Daddy Kane), Weezie (Charles Lane), Angel (Tone Loc) and Charles Lane Obobo (Tom Lister, Jr.) escape to New Orleans and into the Western Fronteer. But Colonel Graham follows them, and he's never far behind them, but Jesse Lee wants revenge on Graham, as he killed his father Papa Joe (Melvin Van Peebles). It's a good western with some good camerawork, and Van Peebles assembles a good supporting cast including Pam Grier, Isaac Hayes and Paul Bartel. But, it does seem a bit formulaic, and I can imagine Django Unchained will be owing a debt of gratitude towards the film.
½ December 16, 2012
It's a goofy, mid-'90s, Mario Van Peebles-directed, blaxploitation western, with a lot of cheese and a charismatically sinister performance by Billy Zane as the villain. Posse sounds like a great concept on paper, but it doesn't take long to see why it turned out to be a schlockfest in Van Peebles' hands. His performance as the lead is probably the most dull and wooden of the entire cast.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
½ November 18, 2012
Memorable. I want to see this again.
May 25, 2012
I remember watching this in the theater when it first came out and finding it horribly over directed. However, watching it now, the film seems quite restrained by current standards. The film is essentially the blaxploitation version of the film John Singleton would make years later, "Rosewood". "Posse" is not a very good film, but there are a number of elements to enjoy, particularly Billy Zane and Richard Jordan, in his final film appearance, as the villains. On the heroic side of the film, there are also a number of underused character actors who were given larger roles, such as Tiny Lister, and also many African American actors of the past, who were given good supporting roles, raining from Nipsey Russell to the great Woody Strode. I hate being hard on a film trying to convey a positive political message, but overall it's a mixed bag. If you're a fan of westerns, blaxploitation or some of the cast, it's probably worth watching though.
April 1, 2012
"Great black western movie"
January 30, 2012
the best black cowboy movie of all time
January 27, 2012
while i give the film high marks for trying to "fix" misconceptions about the old west, the way van peebles goes about it just falls flat. the casting is not very good and the characters are just too one-dimensional. i'd like to see a more serious version of this film rather than the cartoonish b-movie that we have here.
December 13, 2011
hey its got Big Daddy Kane in it
½ October 10, 2010
The subject matter of telling the story of the Black cowboys that were vital in the winning of the west is completely overshadowed by the poor film making of Mario Van Peebles. It is a pity, cause I would like to see it treated with the respect it deserves instead of this poor historical action epic want to be.
September 17, 2010
This sounds so terrible that I actually "want" to see it.
August 24, 2010
I thought this was an interesting story as I didn't know much about African American posse's back in the day, but the lines in this movie could never compete with my favorite western movie, "Tombstone".
½ May 31, 2010
This is great movie, funny with lots of action...Very underated western..Mario Van Peebles did a Amazing job directing this..