High Noon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Noon Reviews

September 17, 2016
I had never seen it....pretty damn good movie.
½ September 16, 2016
There could have been a star who could have added a touch of vulnerability to the hero, Will Kane. Cooper, sadly, is too wooden, save for one fleeting moment where he truly feels helpless and alone.
In spite of this, the film is tense, smart, subversive, philosophical, wonderfully cynical and strikingly shot.
Speaking no audible dialogue in his film debut, Lee Van Cleef makes one hell of an impression. He was cast for the role because he had kind of an evil face. He stands out so much he's almost a distraction.
Katy Jurado's Helen Ramirez is a breath of fresh air. She's the sort of woman who'd be typed as the "villain's woman" in a classic Hollywood Western, who has the look of a femme fatale, who plots, schemes and generally shoots glaring looks, and dies once she redeems herself. Helen is not that sort. Not only does she live to the end, she's a much more three-dimensional character, conflicted in a different way. Her femme fatale look reflects her jaded personality, which comes out of the prejudice she faces as a Mexican in a white town. Her subplot was a pleasant surprise.
Grace Kelly condemned her own performance, but it's not as bad as she thinks. Alfred Hitchcock praised her in the moments where she rushes to save her husband from his one-on-four battle.
The ending is nothing short of powerful.
All in all, worth a second watch.
July 31, 2016
Original soundtrack. Kelly is also beautiful. The Hollywood set made it feel like it was an episode from the twilight zone though, it must have been a very low budget production.
July 27, 2016
A masterclass in high tension drama and suspense, Zinnemann's western is a genre masterwork.
June 16, 2016
Entertaining and Old-School, High Noon is a Western Classic for the genre including Gary Cooper's performance
June 14, 2016
Saw this on 14/6/16
Though cheesy at times, the movie succeeds because of its daring not to fall into a feel good genre. Its memmorable portrayal of a thankless community of people who care about themselves alone is far more interesting than the motivations of its hero. Fred Zinnemann's direction is tense.
½ June 13, 2016
High Noon builds the suspense of approaching violence with the help of some brilliant filmmaking.
May 28, 2016
160528: What strikes me about this film is the clarity of the picture, of the filming. Everything seems crisp, vivid. Why Cooper doesn't have any ammunition on his belt is a wonder to me. Not that it has any effect on my enjoyment of this film, it just intrigued me. This film won four academy awards so it must be good...right? Have never been a fan of Jurado and, actually, found most of the acting here weak.
½ May 27, 2016
Very good movie, but I can't say I love it. I dunno what's wrong with me
May 7, 2016
A fantastic movie that ranks up with the best Westerns of all time, High Noon is brilliantly shot in real time, creating an anticipation on the part of the viewer that no movie has since replicated.
½ April 18, 2016
One of the requisite Westerns. Prepare yourself for lots of reaction shots and even more of clocks, ticking down to the climax at...HIGH NOON. The final gun battle is surprisingly realistic and involves a running battle and hiding in barn.
March 6, 2016
I am not a great fan of the western genre, but the tension that still manages to create this 64 years old movie is incredible. Just for this particular I give it 5 stars.
March 5, 2016
Such a solid film. Some of the greatest suspense and building of tension I've seen. As for the band wagon accusation that it isn't "American" enough, I'll file my thoughts under: WHO THE HELL CARES?
February 9, 2016
High Noon has a setup so rife with potential it should be a spectacular Western. I love the idea of having a set time that you know trouble will come, and how they can play the movie out almost in real-time until that deadline hits. They really tried to make that story work, and constantly showed us the ticking clocks to ramp up the tension. I wanted this to be a great heart-pounding experience, but it lacked 2 vital things to make it work. First and foremost, it needed a more charismatic lead actor. This is my first exposure to Gary Cooper, but he plays this role so flat and monotone that I wasn't inspired at all. It doesn't help that he is surrounded by some much bigger personalities, in particular Lloyd Bridges, who could have pulled off the role better. The other gaping hole in High Noon was the story. They just didn't have enough for the Marshal to do for an hour. His wanderings feel aimless, and do very little to add mounting dread in the audience as noon approaches. Then they reach the deadline, and something about the way the final shootout is staged didn't excite me either. We weren't given much time to meet the big bad guy, and then it's just kind of all done and the movie is over. It's too bad because they had a good premise, the execution is what ended up letting me down.
½ January 15, 2016
Very unusual but excellent. Cooper is first class in this man with ,true grit,
December 28, 2015
Usually I dont like Westerns that are B/W but this was pretty good
December 19, 2015
Gary Cooper's zenith hour.
December 13, 2015
High Noon is an overrated western that hasn't aged well. It had amazing lighting and cinematography that was accompanied by a tense storyline, but the acting from Gary Cooper seemed very stoic and uninterested. I realize after reading a few reviews that his performance was special because he wasn't macho or extremely charismatic, as most western roles were at the time, but I thought his acting was bland and uninspired. The fighting scene in the barn between the two men was fantastic and the way the impending violence added to the movie was great, along with the quick run time.
November 8, 2015
A tight well made Western about a simple & effective story, a Marshall gets married & he is about to go on his Honeymoon then he is made aware a criminal he put away has sworn revenge & will duel him at dawn.

The beauty of the story more lies in the Marshall dealing with this fear & trying to encourage others to watch his back, especially his wife who is insisting him not to do it.

Beautifully filmed & wonderfully acted it's a genuine cut above the rest Western. The final moments of the film are so well put together & the look of the film is terrific.
November 1, 2015
The main song is very beautifull in english and in french too!The father of 24 is an intelligent and emotive western!Gary Cooper has this fascinating look and he is an intense actor.The majority of the action is in few buildings of this little city the sherrif is the loniest man i've ever seen.High noon is a fantastic relationship with two characters: Will Kane and time!