The Wild Bunch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wild Bunch Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
4.5/5-What can I say, its everything you want a western to be. Lots of action and violence, gruff and tough characters, a tremendous and deeply layered plot filled with heists, gun fights, drinking, sex, revenge, chases, explosions, anything you could want. There's also plenty of humor and outrageous lines...things you never see anymore. Its all shot so beautifully and uniquely...everything just ties together perfectly and ends satisfyingly. Its probably not for everyone because it is gratuitously violent, but if you want a real western, this is it.
½ October 14, 2016
A little overwrought but I can see why it is held in such high regard, it really must have changed the face of cinema when it originally came out. Dark, brutal and completely unsubtle.
August 29, 2016
Sam Peckinpah's swansong to loss of youth and the destruction of a way of life is second to none. From the botched bank raid to the final shootout his wistful essay on "progress" and how it snuffs out the twinkle in life's eye may never be matched.
Whisky, women and adrenaline - the good times rolled until they rolled out of town and out of time.
These are themes which reappear in his work frequently, starting with The Ballad Of Cable Hogue and climaxing with The Wild Bunch, a final howl against the dying of the light. Watch this when young for the action and the beauty of slow motion death; watch it again three decades later for the full impact.
½ July 19, 2016
Maybe 3.25. Great action scenes
½ June 10, 2016
Another 'classic' I just don't get...
½ June 8, 2016
At almost 2.5 hours, this western movie is far too long, and, as a result, the pace is very slow. It is particularly graphic for its time, especially in the early scenes. Overall the movie failed to keep my attention. Considered one of the best movies of all time and one of the top Western movies of all time. 1001
June 7, 2016
One of the last great Westerns.
June 5, 2016
Amazing classic western.
May 22, 2016
A peckinpah punch that I consider its own genre. Certainly not uplifting, but plenty of slow motion shoots for dramatic effect.
April 18, 2016
The Wild Bunch is a lofty triumph in pushing the envelope for violence in westerns while spurring the "heroic" stereotypes of the genre.
February 17, 2016
The Wild Bunch admittedly looks good with great cinematography, solid acting and directing and it has some very interesting scenes, but it is still such a disappointing movie due to a boring plot, overblown running time and forgettable and rather dull characters. It is such an overrated film.
½ February 14, 2016
A really well filmed & scored Western, even if it takes a while for you to learn the six main characters' (i.e. the "Wild Bunch") motivations. Quite violent, with a little humour in parts, and some great stunts. However, a sad ending and it's 30min extra length keep it from being exceptional.
½ February 4, 2016
Irritating and reprehensible in equal measure. This has to be one of the most over rated westerns of all time. What little story there is takes nearly two and a half hours to be told. Peckinpah has a penchant for nastiness and there appears to be much cruelty to animals. The opening shootout promises much, but unfortunately that is the highlight. The editing helps in the big shoot out scenes and Jerry Fielding's Oscar nominated score has its moments. Overall though one has to agree with John Wayne's apparent view on it. He hated it!
½ December 17, 2015
77%
Saw this on 17/12/15
An above average Western which is extremely similar to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but inferior to the same in all ways. The film is ultimately saved by it's liberal dose of violence as well as extensively innovative cinematographic techniques effectively used by Director Sam Peckinpah. The films band of bad ass characters all around are funny to watch, but the film fails due to poor character development, at times illogical situations, for example the finale, although beautifully shot is illogical as from what is shown it's impossible for the Wild Bunch to do such a sacrifice for one of them when all they have in mind is money and themselves. Additionally the film lacks powerful actors like Paul Newman or Robert Redford which makes it slight letdown.
December 6, 2015
WOW!! What a great movie,
November 25, 2015
I can appreciate a slow burning movie but this movie takes too long for the movie to reach its climax. Its climax makes up for this somewhat because it is a very well directed and intense action shootout sequence where bodies seem to be flying everywhere. During the climatic shootout you just wonder who will make it out alive if any at all.
November 24, 2015
An aging band of outlaws are trying to rob a train full of American rifles for a Mexican general, meanwhile being tracked by a reminiscent former member, reluctantly hired by a vindictive train baron. Although the characters are rich in moral ambiguity (grey hats aplenty), I found the story dragged too long. I guess I prefer my sixties westerns to have some spaghetti in em. Sorry, Sam.
October 25, 2015
A seminal western film that has been copied so many times it seems cliché until one considers it was released in 1969. This is Sam Peckinpah's magnum opus in my opinion. We get a sense early on that the characters are running out of time and purpose. They are beautiful anachronisms that choose to live and die by a code that the modern world has left behind. In the end, Pike (William Holden) steps out of a brothel disgusted with the world around him and his place in it. His men are waiting for him in the street and with a single look they are compacted to rescue Angel from the General and his peasants' army. What follows is one of the most epic shootouts in cinema. It is a Pyrrhic victory that should not be missed.
October 23, 2015
I'm a Peckinpah fan, I'm almost a fan of this film as well...it's just so bloated though. There's some decent characters, there's some good humour, there's that amazing set piece conclusion that still stands up today...just lose 30-40mins. It's just a fun western as well at the end of the day, I still scratch my head a little at all the 'best of' lists it finds it's way into.
October 20, 2015
My favourite movie of all time. Absolute perfection.