Sense and Sensibility - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sense and Sensibility Reviews

November 5, 2016
I loved this adaption. It was so beautifully put together, the chemistry was perfect between actors.
November 2, 2016
One of my favorites that I will watch again and again. The acting, costumes and music was superb. Harriet Walter was amazing playing greedy Fanny. Stubbs was the perfect manipulative gold digger. sprigs provided excellent comic relief as she ran through the streets with the latest gossip. It could be the best cast Austen film I've seen.
½ September 3, 2016
Boring adaptation. Seen better.
August 16, 2016
Emma Thompson, além de presentear o público com uma perfomance tocante, assina o roteiro desta maravilhosa adaptação do clássico de Jane Austen. RAZÃO E SENSIBILIDADE é, definitivamente, um dos melhores romances dos anos 90.
½ June 18, 2016
Witty and thoroughly enjoyable version of the praised Jane Asten novel, Emma Thompson's script sparkles in one of 1995's best films.
June 17, 2016
One of my favourite movies to date and I have a feeling it will always be one. A well portrayed adaptation of Jane Austen's book with very lovable characters and an enjoyable plot.
½ April 14, 2016
As usual for Ang Lee, the landscapes and outdoors are gorgeous.
Everything else is unwatchable, in the same way as the book of same title from Jane Austen is unreadable. Probably these things were interesting for English upper class ladies contemporary of Jane Austen. But, as I try to watch - or read - this kind of things, I can't help but thank God I live in a country where dukes, barons, earls and the like do not exist, by law.
This movie is worse than boring: it is about nothing interesting, a discussion about weather would be more interesting and deep.
Hugh Grant confirms to me to be - or having been - one of the worst and most disagreeable actor I know.
½ April 4, 2016
Great cast that lives up to the book.
½ April 3, 2016
A diverse crew behind the camera makes one of the most pitch perfect British period pieces probably ever.
½ February 25, 2016
Another classic English movie and good chick flick.
February 24, 2016
Jane Austen's writing is a precarious balancing act between "romantic drama" and "comedy of errors". Ang Lee masterfully adapts one of her most famous novels into this droll, poised, and arresting film. The director's tight sense of pacing is a big factor in the success of this feature, but a lot of credit is due to an excellent cast that includes Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, Harriet Walter, Hugh Laurie, Gemma Jones,James Fleet, and Emma Thompson (who also wrote the screenplay). Jane Austen can easily become a slog when her stories are transferred to celluloid, but a murderer's row of talent makes this effort into something that succeeds admirably.
January 23, 2016
Good period piece with smart adaption, good direction and a strong cast only suffers slightly from pacing. Otherwise a must watch.
January 22, 2016
It is hard to believe anybody gets happily married in 19th century England with all the rules and customs. Jane Austen writes interesting books, and the actors in this adaptation are very convincing.
½ January 21, 2016
my favourite version of this often film jane austin tale wrote a paper about it in college comparing it to the book.
½ January 15, 2016
wonderful, if a bit shortened (: book was more enjoyable of course .. but the acting here is great. thought the buildup of Darcy & Elinor's relationship could've been better.
½ January 14, 2016
Beautiful just beautiful
December 10, 2015
The finest screen adaptation of Jane Austen, every character is perfectly portrayed; Emma Thompson's finest moment, for both the screenplay and her acting.
October 15, 2015
The acting is what really makes this movie stand out. Emma Thompson plays a very timid and reasonable young woman, and I actually liked the character she played, which is saying something when I consider how much I disliked her, prior to watching this film. Winslet was perfect for the role and she pulled it off very well, acting as an immature young girl who's looking for love at every turn. If I had one problem, it would probably be Hugh Grant as Edward, the nice and charming young man who falls for Thompson's character. Grant did good in his performance, but I felt like I've seen too many movies with him as the jerk and womanizer to be taken seriously in this. It's not a huge problem, but a problem regardless.

Rickman as the quiet and non-villain gave a great performance as you don't usually see him in this kind of role. He's usually the villain or portrayed as the villain. But, here, he gives calm and easy to follow and enjoy performance. Another problem, however, is the way the movie ends.

I know that's how it ends in the book, but hear me out. I didn't like how little chemistry Winslet's and Rickman's characters got out of each other. Yeah, they marry in the end and it's cute, but they only share like 2 scenes where they clearly are in love. I know they had to sort of back away from that, given that technically, Winslet's character is only 15 and Rickman's is 35. But, I still think they could've worked a little more in. The characters are great and the story is too. Give it a watch if you haven't yet.