Sense and Sensibility - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sense and Sensibility Reviews

½ October 23, 2017
Ang Lee provides beautiful scenery and some nuanced direction to a Jane Austin piece. This is a film I didn't expect to like but came away highly entertained and impressed by the restraint, craft, and subtlty in the material.
October 16, 2017
Jane Austen at her best, directed by the best, played by the best, filmed on location. While all of Jane Austen's work are clearly very famous, it is in these in no small part because of movies like this one, this one in particular. Ang Lee was still not that well known to the wider audience back in 1995, but here he is surely at his best. A classic made into an instant classic. Enjoy!
½ October 15, 2017
Reviewed 10.10.17. Talk about a cast, wow. And Ang Lee before he was 'Ang Lee.' Emma Thompson leads the way, with an anchoring performance. Kate Winslet makes clear why she would soon be Oscar worthy. And how often does Alan Rickman get to shine as a good guy? I thoroughly enjoyed the escapism, and was relieved by the light touch of what surely could have been a stodgy period piece. Kudos to Thompson for pulling double duty as the screenwriter. She's in rarefied air for the high quality she brings to both roles. And although the movie wasn't earth-shattering, by any stretch, it was exceedingly pleasant. When it comes to Jane Austen pieces, that is special in its own right.
September 13, 2017
Piercing but gentle, with great attention to detail, just like Austen's writing.
July 22, 2017
A great execution of the Jane Austin novel.
½ July 18, 2017
What seems like it could be a dull affair is brought to life with tension and verve by the brilliance of Ang Lee and the control of an all-star cast.
The 3-dimensional nature of characters like Willoughby and the character development of Mariann are what turns this from a 'good adaptation' into a genuinely excellent, heartwarming film.
Hugh Laurie's cameo as Mr Palmer threatens to steal every scene.
January 30, 2017
A remarkable period romantic drama so good could only be the work of Jane Austen. A beautiful story depicting the 19th century England and the dramas of two likeable characters portrayed by excellent actresses. Watching all those Harry Potter actors was a plus. All the characters' marvelous accents and ellegant eloquency is a pleasure to hear. Astounding score and it should have won more Oscars and Baftas.
January 21, 2017
Well acted, original story and with a lot of twists and turns, but the script ceases to be strong when young teen decides to marry with an old man, only because he is good for her.
November 5, 2016
I loved this adaption. It was so beautifully put together, the chemistry was perfect between actors.
November 2, 2016
One of my favorites that I will watch again and again. The acting, costumes and music was superb. Harriet Walter was amazing playing greedy Fanny. Stubbs was the perfect manipulative gold digger. sprigs provided excellent comic relief as she ran through the streets with the latest gossip. It could be the best cast Austen film I've seen.
½ September 3, 2016
Boring adaptation. Seen better.
August 16, 2016
Emma Thompson, além de presentear o público com uma perfomance tocante, assina o roteiro desta maravilhosa adaptação do clássico de Jane Austen. RAZÃO E SENSIBILIDADE é, definitivamente, um dos melhores romances dos anos 90.
½ June 18, 2016
Witty and thoroughly enjoyable version of the praised Jane Asten novel, Emma Thompson's script sparkles in one of 1995's best films.
June 17, 2016
One of my favourite movies to date and I have a feeling it will always be one. A well portrayed adaptation of Jane Austen's book with very lovable characters and an enjoyable plot.
½ April 14, 2016
As usual for Ang Lee, the landscapes and outdoors are gorgeous.
Everything else is unwatchable, in the same way as the book of same title from Jane Austen is unreadable. Probably these things were interesting for English upper class ladies contemporary of Jane Austen. But, as I try to watch - or read - this kind of things, I can't help but thank God I live in a country where dukes, barons, earls and the like do not exist, by law.
This movie is worse than boring: it is about nothing interesting, a discussion about weather would be more interesting and deep.
Hugh Grant confirms to me to be - or having been - one of the worst and most disagreeable actor I know.
½ April 4, 2016
Great cast that lives up to the book.
½ April 3, 2016
A diverse crew behind the camera makes one of the most pitch perfect British period pieces probably ever.
½ February 25, 2016
Another classic English movie and good chick flick.
February 24, 2016
Jane Austen's writing is a precarious balancing act between "romantic drama" and "comedy of errors". Ang Lee masterfully adapts one of her most famous novels into this droll, poised, and arresting film. The director's tight sense of pacing is a big factor in the success of this feature, but a lot of credit is due to an excellent cast that includes Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, Harriet Walter, Hugh Laurie, Gemma Jones,James Fleet, and Emma Thompson (who also wrote the screenplay). Jane Austen can easily become a slog when her stories are transferred to celluloid, but a murderer's row of talent makes this effort into something that succeeds admirably.