Buena Vista Social Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buena Vista Social Club Reviews

May 20, 2016
Their life, music, and everything makes me a big fan of the cuban jazz music
½ March 5, 2016
Fantastic music, great stories. A charming film full of joy and love for music.
May 6, 2015
awesome and moving doc
December 8, 2014
Not my sort of movie, therefore the low rating. Some good music and spectacular everyday images from Cuba.
December 3, 2014
loved the stream of consciousness style. he truly brought out the spirit of these artists, & their joy in making music ... & I was very inspired by this film !
May 2, 2014
It is one of the greatest music movie ,but behind the politics is potentially a white supremacist movie.white people lead them to NY is not fun for them.
April 5, 2014
4 stars for daring to be a different kind of music documentary, 2 for the annoying camerawork and the at times boring result.
December 7, 2013
Such an entertaining film. Brilliant!
June 21, 2013
Watched this about 10 years ago, and again now. Decent documentary. Still love the music.
April 24, 2013
I have to say I found this profoundly disappointing. I'm a huge fan of the Buena Vista album and absolutely love Cuba as a country so I must surely be the target market for this film. The thing is, you learn nothing, there is no insight into the surely captivating lives of these musicians and no storytelling arc to the film as a whole. You're left with the impression that Wenders' buddy Ry Cooder may well have wanted him involved in this story, but none of the actual Cubans did.
March 2, 2013
Wonderful documentary by Ry Cooder capturing nearly-forgotten Cuban musicians, many of whom were still making music at 80+ years.
November 13, 2012
Great soundtrack, only a fair movie.
October 25, 2012
Great music lives in genuine and ordinary people.
October 19, 2012
Loved this postcard from Cuba and the wonderful music of Ry Cooder playing with legendary Cuban musicians from yesteryear who would have otherwise remained unknown to the outside world. A must see for music fans!
October 11, 2012
Legends: the lot of them. Thanks to Wenders and Cooder, these forgotten jewels of latin jazz are arisen from the closed-off, but very beautiful and surreal streets of Havana. With slight allusions to the regrettable embargo enforced upon the Cubans by the United States of Dickland since the 60s (particularly in the innocent and refreshing commentary on New York landmarks by some of the visiting band), the main focus is on the brilliant and effortlessly groovy music. One thing that stands out for me here is the power of human creativity and the joy it can bring by those with a steady and positive disposition. Superb
½ October 3, 2012
A stunning, natural journey of a documentary showing Ry Coote's (Incredible White Man of Jazz with Black Soul) and his journey to resurrect the great names of Cuban Jazz unfortunately forgotten.

I mean the members the of Buena Vista Social Club are fascinating enough but the director Wim Wenders use of real Cuban footage & natural interviews does wonders for the film.

His camera work & sense of timing is brilliant especially the scenes of the Buena Vista club in NYC & the reactions to it. This is a major milestone in documentary filmmaking & music, a top film....a must see...
July 19, 2012
An excellent music documentary - with excellent music.
July 7, 2012
An inspiring and insightful look into the world of music in Havana. It displays the rich and colorful world full of unique and extremely talented musicians and people. By far one of the best documentary's ever made.
½ May 29, 2012
For the music and music alone.
½ April 25, 2012
A documentary that feels like a real life adventure and a soundtrack that became a world-wide trademark.