High Fidelity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Fidelity Reviews

January 16, 2017
An emotionally encapsulating film that speaks to anyone with the love of music and past relationship ghosts. Cusack fulfills the fantasy on many people who find themselves in a lonesome state by visiting past relationships to see what went wrong. Ultimately, he realizes that none of his previous relationships would have worked. This is a story that gives the advice to not dwell in the past but focus on the relationships of the present and to look to find happiness in one's present state. One of my favorite films and could be John Cusack's finest work. Excellent.
January 5, 2017
ok. didn't really do it for me
January 3, 2017
I haven't seen this YET. :P
½ December 17, 2016
John Cusack is always good. This was a pretty good take on failed relationships and it had a lot of humor.
½ December 5, 2016
This adaptation of Nick Hornby's novel is a likably amiable film, mostly because it manages to feel like it's about real people. John Cusack's record store owner and his two employees (Todd Louiso and Jack Black) are immediately recognizable to anyone who hangs around with music collectors (or collectors of just about anything). Cusack's romantic woes seem realistic, and it's a refreshing romantic comedy that doesn't treat it's characters's romantic futures as the single most important thing in the world. It's a bit of a lightweight film, but it's a rare romantic comedy that doesn't insult it's audience's intelligence.
½ November 2, 2016
First off : I have and will watch anything with John Cusack in it. This habit can sometimes be a good way to find good movies, independent films (OK, Cusack has "indie ethic" tattooed somewhere on his bod), and some out-and-out freewheeling bizarro stuff (War, Inc.). High Fidelity is the story of a Chicago used record store owner, his recently ex- girlfriend (as a viewer, get past the awful bangs, it can be done), and his quest to figure out who the hell he is and why his relationship broke up. This is an aging Gen X-er heading towards adulthood a bit late. Cusack is great.... funny, and at times hysterically funny (the confrontation of his ex's new guy is hilarious), hurt, selfish, and uttery believable. The actors cast in this film are all really great, also.. The obvious Jack Black character is still fresh in this movie; He chews the scenery and then looks like he's ready to poop it out. Aces. Joan Cusack in a brief but very funny role (Whenever they act together, it's a blast), and even a brief Bruce Springsteen appearance (fantastic and funny) make this movie way better than most romantic comedies. The only thing that stunts this film is the "dead parent" wrench thrown in as a way for Cusack's character to have interaction with ex. BLAH. Kind of a predictable ending, which is disappointing. Lisa Bonet character and Tim Robbins are really good ("Ian" is a hoot, and frighteningly familiar). Catherine Zeta Jones' character Charlie is the horrendous pretentious ex all of us have in our (hopefully distant) past. I suggest this for long term couples to watch and punch each other in the shoulder periodically. Soundtrack is amazing and makes me want to be the person who does this for a living.
September 23, 2016
John Cusack and the cast in this movie are so good. Great story and beautiful flow. Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome too.
½ September 18, 2016
This is realness. Funny and the truth. Taken me way too long to watch this. Great job.
½ September 14, 2016
I admit I didn't really like this movie when it first came out. I thought John Cusack's character was a mopey winer. That might still be the case but I found myself enjoying this more now.
September 9, 2016
9/9/2016: Much more entertaining than I expected to be. A good funny cast and an interesting story.
September 5, 2016
Self-reflection. So this is about a record store owner (John Cusack) who is down on his luck with his love life. When his current girlfriend (Iben Hjejle) is walking out the door, it causes him to go back and examine his previous failed relationships, and he walks us through the top five worst breakups in his life. This is a very special movie for me, and all things considered, it has had a larger impact on my life than any other film out there. It got me through a rough patch, and I went through a spot where I watched it about 4 times in a one week period. High Fidelity has rewatchability like no other, and more importantly, it has wisdom to share with you on the anatomy of a relationship. I would like to think I have a far better understanding of relationships at this point in my life, but I can always learn something new with this movie showing me the way. For the vast majority of people out there, chances are you've been dumped, and chances are you've been the one severing ties as well. Rob Gordon, our main character, goes through bouts of being selfish and shallow, but it makes him relatable in the context of the story. This movie is all about him coming to terms with the fact that he's an asshole, and figuring out where he goes from here. There is nothing simple about relationships, and you have to never forget to look at the big picture, which is something Rob is not always able to do, because he's just a man. He breaks the fourth wall about as often as Deadpool, and he gives you all of his opinions and perspectives. I get something out of his narrations every time I watch this film, and it's usually something different, it depends on where I'm at in my life. I'm nowhere close to being the same person I was five years ago, and I feel like I actually learn something new about myself upon each viewing. I can't think of a single other movie out there that I can say that about, and I doubt I will ever be able to say that about another. Apart from my personal relationship with this movie (I also relate to how obsessive this man is about lists), the material is deftly crafted by critical darling Nick Hornby. The entire cast is quirky and hilarious, and they have great lines of dialogue to deliver at any and every single point in the entire run-time. The soundtrack to this movie is like no other, and I promise you that you're not going to catch every single music reference here, but I don't even think the characters in this movie would expect you to. If you are reaching a point in your life where you are hitting a midlife crisis and asking yourself, "what does it all mean?", there is not a more important movie out there for you to watch. It's honest, even brutally so, and I will forever love everybody involved for putting together something that has touched me on such a personal level.
½ August 11, 2016
Such a solid Cusack flick. Brought back great memories with my music buddies and that era.
July 17, 2016
According to everyone else this is a good movie, but I just couldn't relate. I'd give it zero stars, but Jack Black is such a show-stealer he makes it watchable.
½ July 14, 2016
Not even the great music saves this movie of being boring, uninteresting and stupid. Bad jokes, silly characters (not even Jack Black) and that ridicoulous plot makes this one of the worst romantic comedies i've seen. It was supposed to be a romantic comedy. GOD!
July 14, 2016
- Solid writing and excellent cast. I found it quite funny and was easy to watch for the 3rd time now I believe.

- I enjoyed re-watching this one. it was interesting seeing Cusack as a guy kinda lost, so he revisits his past relationships & break-ups to see what went wrong. jack black is great in this. it's funny to see he hasn't really changed even though this film is now 12yrs old. if you haven't seen this one, definitely give it a try!
July 11, 2016
Maybe the problem is that I'm not a music buff, so many of the references are lost on me, but I honestly cannot understand the affection people have for this film. The interesting structure of the breaking of the fourth wall aside, protagonist Rob is a misogynistic ass who I can't get behind, even with the supremely likable John Cusack in the role. Sure he might learn his lesson in the end, but the film wants its audience to get behind him as he plays his messed up mind games with his ex's in an attempt to prove that it was all them and not him that ended their relationships. A character study of sociopaths is one thing, but making them into a romantic hero and glorifying their horrid exploits is another, and it's something I can't get behind.
July 9, 2016
A career-best performance from John Cusack, a rock-solid soundtrack and a funny script makes High Fidelity a hidden gem from diretor Stephen Frears.
July 7, 2016
I love this movie. One of my all time favorites.