High Fidelity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Fidelity Reviews

June 7, 2017
Witty and intelligent adaptation of a witty and intelligent book
½ April 10, 2017
Rob Gordon isn't the easiest protagonist to empathize with in this movie. He makes some terrible decisions, he whines (or complains) about his situation almost constantly, and he can be a little conceited. There were a few times when I rolled my eyes at him, and wanted to tell him to just stop! His buddy played by Jack Black wasn't much better, but at least he had a lot of excited energy that somehow made his attitude more acceptable. I wouldn't say John Cusack's characterization was insufferable, but he wasn't my favorite kind of guy.

There were a couple of things that made the movie transcend the annoyance of the lead character for me. First and foremost was the breaking of the fourth wall throughout the film. I've always enjoyed that type of thing in movies, and it works great here. This allows us to get inside Rob's head and understand his behavior. It was great to hear him walk through a bunch of his Top 5 lists with us just like he did with his coworkers. The framework of the Top 5 Breakups was a superb way of building back-story and establishing his character.

The other thing that helped me enjoy High Fidelity was the structure of the story, particularly the way it ended. All my frustration with Rob's behavior was washed away when I saw there was a reason to a lot of this, and things could change (and he could grow.) It's hard to get into specifics without spoiling it all, but to put it simply...I liked that he had an arc. In fact, now that I'm aware of the way things are headed at the end, I bet I would enjoy the movie even more when I watch it again.

This is where I should probably mention that I'm not all that knowledgeable about music. While I like listening to it sometimes, and certainly enjoyed some of the music they play in High Fidelity, a lot of their conversations about bands flew right over my head. Since everything centers on a guy who works in a vintage record store, there's a lot of conversation about musical artists, their albums, and their songs. It even seems like there were some jokes about music, but I didn't follow it. I was thinking things like "Is it a well-known fact that song is terrible? I kind of like it."

Despite all my misgivings about things in High Fidelity, I still enjoyed it. The arc of the main character paid off for me, and had me smiling at the end. I loved the format with all the narration done through breaking the fourth wall. Its positives outweighed all the negatives that I found in it. And it was bolstered by a very strong cast, with the possible exception of Iben Hjejle who made for a very odd romantic lead. She wasn't bad, I just wasn't sure if I believed she had any feelings for Cusack. Otherwise the cast was great, and made a good movie even better.
½ April 3, 2017
Clever. interesting. Different! John Cusak perfect for this - terrific. Wonderful story with music playing a vital, integral part.
Antonius Block
April 1, 2017
This movie captures so perfectly the perspective of many who love music: to have such passion for a band, to take pride in knowing lesser known artists, their influences, and music trivia, and to snobbishly judge others for what they listen to, even though it's all of course personal and subjective. It's also a pretty good movie about the difficulty of relationships. John Cusack is talented, funny, and likeable as a record store owner floundering his way through breakups, mainly because as much as he's an expert on music, he's a dunce about women. He often talks directly to the camera, drifting back to memories and musing over various 'top five' lists. The film also has a fantastic supporting cast, including Jack Black in his breakout role, Joan Cusack in some great scenes opposite her brother, Lisa Bonet, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Tim Robbins among others. Quirky and well-done, this film has something for everyone.
April 1, 2017
Ünlü chicago filmi.. reckless records ün birisinin sahibi olan john cusack ve a?klar? ve müzik konulu film..
March 28, 2017
this is the story of life!
March 20, 2017
Decent adaptation of the novel (despite being re-located to America). John Cusack & Jack Black's performances make it all worth-while, & backed up by a kick-ass soundtrack. One the last good films Cusack was in, what's happened to his career!?
½ March 6, 2017
In a biting romantic comedy, Rob Gordon is the owner of a semi-failing record store in Chicago, where he sells music the old-fashioned way -- on vinyl. He's a self-professed music junkie who spends his days at Championship Vinyl with his two employees, Dick and Barry. Although they have an encyclopedic knowledge of pop music and are consumed with the music scene, it's of no help to Rob, whose needle skips the love groove when his long-time girlfriend, Laura, walks out on him. As he examines his failed attempts at romance and happiness, the process finds him being dragged, kicking and screaming, into adulthood.
January 16, 2017
An emotionally encapsulating film that speaks to anyone with the love of music and past relationship ghosts. Cusack fulfills the fantasy on many people who find themselves in a lonesome state by visiting past relationships to see what went wrong. Ultimately, he realizes that none of his previous relationships would have worked. This is a story that gives the advice to not dwell in the past but focus on the relationships of the present and to look to find happiness in one's present state. One of my favorite films and could be John Cusack's finest work. Excellent.
January 5, 2017
ok. didn't really do it for me
January 3, 2017
I haven't seen this YET. :P
½ December 17, 2016
John Cusack is always good. This was a pretty good take on failed relationships and it had a lot of humor.
½ December 5, 2016
This adaptation of Nick Hornby's novel is a likably amiable film, mostly because it manages to feel like it's about real people. John Cusack's record store owner and his two employees (Todd Louiso and Jack Black) are immediately recognizable to anyone who hangs around with music collectors (or collectors of just about anything). Cusack's romantic woes seem realistic, and it's a refreshing romantic comedy that doesn't treat it's characters's romantic futures as the single most important thing in the world. It's a bit of a lightweight film, but it's a rare romantic comedy that doesn't insult it's audience's intelligence.
½ November 2, 2016
First off : I have and will watch anything with John Cusack in it. This habit can sometimes be a good way to find good movies, independent films (OK, Cusack has "indie ethic" tattooed somewhere on his bod), and some out-and-out freewheeling bizarro stuff (War, Inc.). High Fidelity is the story of a Chicago used record store owner, his recently ex- girlfriend (as a viewer, get past the awful bangs, it can be done), and his quest to figure out who the hell he is and why his relationship broke up. This is an aging Gen X-er heading towards adulthood a bit late. Cusack is great.... funny, and at times hysterically funny (the confrontation of his ex's new guy is hilarious), hurt, selfish, and uttery believable. The actors cast in this film are all really great, also.. The obvious Jack Black character is still fresh in this movie; He chews the scenery and then looks like he's ready to poop it out. Aces. Joan Cusack in a brief but very funny role (Whenever they act together, it's a blast), and even a brief Bruce Springsteen appearance (fantastic and funny) make this movie way better than most romantic comedies. The only thing that stunts this film is the "dead parent" wrench thrown in as a way for Cusack's character to have interaction with ex. BLAH. Kind of a predictable ending, which is disappointing. Lisa Bonet character and Tim Robbins are really good ("Ian" is a hoot, and frighteningly familiar). Catherine Zeta Jones' character Charlie is the horrendous pretentious ex all of us have in our (hopefully distant) past. I suggest this for long term couples to watch and punch each other in the shoulder periodically. Soundtrack is amazing and makes me want to be the person who does this for a living.
September 23, 2016
John Cusack and the cast in this movie are so good. Great story and beautiful flow. Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome too.
½ September 18, 2016
This is realness. Funny and the truth. Taken me way too long to watch this. Great job.
½ September 14, 2016
I admit I didn't really like this movie when it first came out. I thought John Cusack's character was a mopey winer. That might still be the case but I found myself enjoying this more now.
September 9, 2016
9/9/2016: Much more entertaining than I expected to be. A good funny cast and an interesting story.
September 5, 2016
Self-reflection. So this is about a record store owner (John Cusack) who is down on his luck with his love life. When his current girlfriend (Iben Hjejle) is walking out the door, it causes him to go back and examine his previous failed relationships, and he walks us through the top five worst breakups in his life. This is a very special movie for me, and all things considered, it has had a larger impact on my life than any other film out there. It got me through a rough patch, and I went through a spot where I watched it about 4 times in a one week period. High Fidelity has rewatchability like no other, and more importantly, it has wisdom to share with you on the anatomy of a relationship. I would like to think I have a far better understanding of relationships at this point in my life, but I can always learn something new with this movie showing me the way. For the vast majority of people out there, chances are you've been dumped, and chances are you've been the one severing ties as well. Rob Gordon, our main character, goes through bouts of being selfish and shallow, but it makes him relatable in the context of the story. This movie is all about him coming to terms with the fact that he's an asshole, and figuring out where he goes from here. There is nothing simple about relationships, and you have to never forget to look at the big picture, which is something Rob is not always able to do, because he's just a man. He breaks the fourth wall about as often as Deadpool, and he gives you all of his opinions and perspectives. I get something out of his narrations every time I watch this film, and it's usually something different, it depends on where I'm at in my life. I'm nowhere close to being the same person I was five years ago, and I feel like I actually learn something new about myself upon each viewing. I can't think of a single other movie out there that I can say that about, and I doubt I will ever be able to say that about another. Apart from my personal relationship with this movie (I also relate to how obsessive this man is about lists), the material is deftly crafted by critical darling Nick Hornby. The entire cast is quirky and hilarious, and they have great lines of dialogue to deliver at any and every single point in the entire run-time. The soundtrack to this movie is like no other, and I promise you that you're not going to catch every single music reference here, but I don't even think the characters in this movie would expect you to. If you are reaching a point in your life where you are hitting a midlife crisis and asking yourself, "what does it all mean?", there is not a more important movie out there for you to watch. It's honest, even brutally so, and I will forever love everybody involved for putting together something that has touched me on such a personal level.