Tyson Reviews

• Apr 22, 2019

A revealing and inspirational look into the heart and mind of a great fighter, his motivations and insights, challenges and struggles.

• Apr 21, 2019

Some highlights, but also a lot of mindless chatter

Some highlights, but also a lot of mindless chatter

• Jun 18, 2018

This is what happens when a rich young NBA player funds the open forum ramblings of an egomaniacal sociopath. It's one of the worst documentaries I've ever seen and doesn't belong in the same category.

• Feb 06, 2017

If you were to see this biopic of Mike Tyson, you would have to be a person totally comfortable with a film full of vulgarity, a bitter tone full of resentment, hurt, loss and possibly,not even a chance at self redemption. And even with all of these traits, Tyson,delivers a movie that depicts the harsh realities of addiction, fame and self worth in a such an impressive tale, it's hard not to love its melancholy. The film starts with Tyson's very first championship bout against Trevor Berbick. As it continues, you see the sheer brutality of Tyson's trademark brutality. He decimates Berbick in the first round and becomes the youngest person to win the Heavyweight championship. This is significant, because it a type of foreshadowing, completely raw in how depicts what is supposed to be Tyson's road to success, achievement and security. The sick irony is that it does the complete opposite. As film goes on, you see a descending path of darkness, one that is arguably something Tyson is comfortable with. He calmly, eloquently and truthfully details the events of his life to the extent the audience builds either a deep sympathy for him or an admiration about the self awareness he has now about the way his fame as a boxer helped propel his near destruction, pushing the road pain, a question of self worth and unadulterated rage that he would continue use while fighting. He also remarks on something that would be completely disturbing to the average person and fascinating to a few, that being the mindset of going in and inflicting bodily harm on another human being. When he was partaking in this barbaric chess, he loved it, the thought of punishing another human being and crushing his soul gave all the motivation in the world to step in that ring and almost always a psychological edge over his opponents. When you truly watch this film, you come to either two conclusions. That Tyson is a manic depressive animal that is bordering on being a psychopathic sociopath. Or you come to the understanding that he is a misunderstood individuals who flirted and has been enamored with every considerably every dark facet of life and has a deep awareness of his circumstances and responsibilities in coherence with those circumstances. This film does him justice in that aspect and should be appreciated no matter how dark or unfortunate the narration is. -- Nick Borne

• Aug 04, 2016

A well crafted piece and an interesting way to view this deeply flawed man's life. As a subject he is a good choice, the rags to riches to rags tale was always worthy a soap opera, so handled in a less astute way could have been really unwatchable.

• Feb 18, 2016

Self realization & Growing up wiser. Growing up in the kill or be killed neighborhoods of Brooklyn, teased, taunted, humiliated and embarrassed on the streets, Tyson was molded into fighter. Stories of the streets, poverty, drugs dealings, pigeons, hoodlums, and jail time. Meeting his manager, teaching about distractions, spirituality building confidence. Having this criminal mentality conflict and struggle, while being managed and coached to use the skill in the boxing ring. Started winning Championships amateur level, turned his life over. mentally dismentaling him, and follow his direction. Deep emotion for the manager whom believed in him, and got him out of trouble. ferocious fighter in the ring, disciplined, dangerous to cross, never intimidated, never to live with the fear of being bullied. Would never start a fight, but love channeling that intensity, power in the boxing ring. (Cosd'amato) High expectations to be the Heavy Weight Championship Feeding the fire feel the flames. watching constantly old boxing matches, ferorisity, dedication, character, in the greats (Ali, Marciano, dempsey). Having the right people at your corner, manager/guardian and woman. "Burning like a Good Humor in July"- The anticipation and yearning to put "leather on face" with every punch. celebrity champion from around the world, meeting leaders and parades held for him, merchandising and advertising. Having a fighting mindset to punch so hard it goes right through their head. Speed and accuracy of the devil. My job was to hurt people. As soon as I come in the in know how to defeat them psychologically, feeling the leather piercing through my knuckles, I know how to defeat them, closer to the ring the more confident, godly and unbeatable, all eyes on the opponent. Waiting for any small mistake, capitalize and break their spirit. Undisputed greatest fighter mentality. Uncontrollable urges, away from the camera and in control in front of the camera. Champion in the ring, unstable out the ring personal life, unbalanced atmosphere, hectic, beastly, chaotic, his domain, his control, his expectations. Defeats came with being unprepared, overconfident, untrained and his personal lifestyle got to him. - first loss to Buster Douglas Downward spiral of mentality with the loss of wife, manager, and rape allegations. Hard to trust again. lost faith in god, treated badly in prison, challenged how tough guy he really was. The derrangement, insanity, going through his mind. Went from extreme Muslim use of hatred to the world to more humble islam. Found inspirations in Mao and Che, got tattoos. Different atmosphere, more hated, feeling paranoia, lashing at people. Regained title to loses it again. "Leaches" of whom surrounded him, money loss and indorsements etc. Blacked Out- I don't remember, Undisciplined fight uncontrollable urge of insanity to hurt- holyfield vs Tyson 2. (ear biting).- loss his boxing license. they call me trash, let them call me trash, I'll be a angelic trash. Relentless, won't be knocked down We are like mercenaries we need that money, when we need to throw down we throw down. Mike Tyson vs Kevin McBride- loss & retirement I don't have it in my stomach anymore, I am not an animal anymore, tired if fighting. Addictions & void.

• Jan 09, 2016

Really fascinating look at a man who has more depth than one might otherwise think.

• Jun 28, 2015

absolutely incredible! the man is far from perfect, definitely was fucked up. but he completely opens up and you learn heart breaking things about what hes been through, which kinda makes you understand why he did things he did. this documentary is so captivating its a journey through Mike's life and the man has been through some horrible shit and all the way the making of the movie. He admits to being a not so great person in the past and I admire him for changing.

• Jun 19, 2015

There can be such a thing as TOO personal and inside. I'm not sure the trip inside the psyche of Iron Mike is something most should take

• Feb 08, 2015

Have to say this is a very good documentary on one of the greatest ever sportsman. Straight from the horses mouth you get an insight of all his great fights (even the infamous Holyfield match), plus other aspects of his life.... which I have to say a couple of them he could have kept to himself. Still overall if you want to find out about one of the top 3 boxers of all time, you have to watch this.