Five Minutes of Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Five Minutes of Heaven Reviews

½ October 23, 2016
The dialogue is full of exposition and the over dramatic style gets in the way of the genuine pain you need to feel from these characters. Liam Neesen puts on a more subtle performance than you're used to seeing from him which is nice. The screenplay and direction are way too manipulative though.
January 24, 2016
Seriously underrated indie flick that's satisfyingly somber and with powerful performances of enigmatic characters.
May 4, 2015
Pretty solid. Not the best movie but still a pretty interesting look at the chaotic existence between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland. Still though, I would've liked to see more of the conflict in general, as opposed to just focusing on these two men. Still though, pretty interesting.
½ April 1, 2015
Reasonably good film but after a build up it eventually fell a bit flat at the end. Not one I would want to see again.
½ November 27, 2014
Five Minutes of Heaven is a great film that really has the strength of the main actors. Liam Neeson and James Nesbitt did an amazing job that you can just believe what they are going through. It has a simple plot, but it does ask some questions that might get viewers thinking like, what would you do in that situation? It's very gripping, it does leave wondering about what's going to happen next, and I didn't really know who to side with. Although it didn't show much of Joe's wife and kids which would make it more effective, it's an amazing film that goes by shortly.
September 22, 2014
Not the best ending. But interesting story.
½ July 11, 2014
Well conceptualized and visually telling but the film doesn't trust itself enough to be told WITHOUT voice over, which (in this case) becomes a distracting crutch and compromises the quiet tension Hirschbiegel works so hard to communicate. In this case, less would have been more.
½ July 8, 2014
An intensely dramatic and visceral thriller with a terrific script, masterful direction and powerhouse performances with it's two leads. James Nesbitt and Liam Nesson are superb. Neeson carries the pain and acceptance of his characters actions. Nesbitt is a revelation, one of his finest and most riveting performances. A true tour de force. It feels as it was written for the stage and unfolds nicely with tension and surprise. A breathlessly original piece of work.
½ July 6, 2014
Movie moved along far too slowly. Characters were not overly interesting.
June 10, 2014
It was sad, heart-breaking, and depressing, but also very beautiful and touching... The actors were brilliant too...:)
April 12, 2014
The theatrical version of Zombie by the Cranberries. very good.
March 19, 2014
'Once you've signed up to terror and joined the organization..., your mind closes right down.'
½ February 11, 2014
The dialogue is what makes this movie such a great one
½ January 19, 2014
Thought-provoking, with a great performance from James Nesbitt.
½ January 10, 2014
Realistic, well-acted. Shows difficulty of reconciliation and how sin affects both sides. Morals: +3; Form: +3. A lot of foul language.
½ December 10, 2013
Anything that you watch in class for educational purposes rarely screams good entertainment but I can't say I had the worse time watching '5 Minutes of Heaven'. Linked to my study of restorative justice, this delves into the attempt at reconciliation between Alistair (Liam Neeson) and the brother (James Nesbitt) of a man he killed in the past. The fast Irish dialect is difficult to understand at times and there are quite a few extended scenes which will test your concentration; however, the two leads are strong in their roles, producing quite a realistic portrayal of the long term aftermath of a murder. The moment when the pair are suppose to meet for the first time was excessively dragged on but the suspension worked in allowing the audience to sense that build up of emotional tension within Nesbitt in regards to the prospect of meeting his brother's killer. Maybe it was the presence of James Nesbitt, but I feel as if this would have worked much better as a two part drama series on ITV or BBC rather than a film. It has that kind of mature Sunday evening atmosphere to it. In conclusion, '5 minutes of Heaven' will probably feel like an hour and 30 minutes of hell for the younger generation as I presume it did for my yawning and sighing classmates so perhaps this is one best left for your folks.
½ December 6, 2013
Great film, with a message about how the actions of one, can affect many, and for a lot longer than what others may think.
I can understand why Joe felt the way he did, and why he wanted to kill Alistair. What I don't understand is how the producers of the show at the start at any point felt that Joe was up to the interview. I mean honestly, at no point did the man seem in a calm and great state of mind to be meeting his brothers killer. You feel disgusted at the fact that the ratings of the show was all that they were concerned about, and not this mans mental state it seemed.
½ October 27, 2013
Was a thought provoking movie. I could empathsize with both men. It was such a harsh time then yet do we still not go out and harm others for what seems to be a unatainable victory. Hate is so profound that it destroys all of us. Repentance renews our spirit.
September 12, 2013
Great Acting, Likable Characters, Insane Amount of Build Up, and the Best Movie Climax , I think ever seen in a film. See this film! See this film! See This Film!
August 22, 2013
I don't think is a movie for me.